Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2016, 02:30 PM

4,395 posts, read 4,914,362 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Wahine View Post
Many theatres, including Alamo Drafthouse here in Texas, allow licensed CHL holders to carry guns inside. This man was a royal screw-up in several ways.

He was drunk while in possession of his handgun. He had a round in the chamber. He was fidgeting with the gun. He was not exercising trigger discipline. All of these are the mark of a p1ss-poor gun owner. No different a magnitude of ineptitude than a crappy automobile driver weaving in and out of lanes on the freeway after a beer or two, while eating a hamburger, tuning in the stereo, and chatting on a cellphone.

He deserves any punishment and a civil suit should the woman (hopefully) survive. If he had a CHL, it will be promptly revoked.

End of story.
I agree with your statement except for what I highlighted. I carry in condition 1 ( Condition 1 carry vs the “Israeli Method” | the things worth believing in ) all of the time. But I do have a holster with trigger coverage, my safety configuration is completely different and I do not pull out my weapon except for cleaning, dry fire practice or actual shooting.

Old 01-22-2016, 02:39 PM

29,552 posts, read 9,733,904 times
Default Just any guy with an AR-15...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_J View Post
Work happened. My day is up and down on the busy scale and lately more on the busy side.

Already happening. I attended 2 concerts last year at Verizon Arena in Little Rock where I was frisked heavily. Despite that, I still was able to get my knife and monkey fist in without anyone noticing. My pistol stayed locked in the car safe. Next month at the Def Leppard show, I will have to walk through metal detectors.

On the flip side of that, I can carry into the local arena here in MS because it is county owned. With an enhanced permit I can't be refused entry while carrying unless that building houses prisoners.

That guy in the article was just anyone and he was walking around with an AR-15.
Still, more interested in that you were trying to prove, that all product regulations are in conflict with the Constitution...

Also, I agree, as we are all encountering gun screens and the like much like security checks at the airport. No doubt we'll start seeing more and more rather than less and less per my prediction along those lines. Enjoy the Def Leppard show. Last good one I've been to was Radiohead, but that's been a couple years...

As for this guy walking around at the airport with an AR-15 around his neck, wife and daughter in tow no less, what kind of dude would do that? Seems like the want of attention or maybe Hell bent to make a point, but how in the Hell is everyone else supposed to feel when they see some average-Joe looking guy carrying a weapon like that? I mean at least security is easy to identify...

Awfully crazy to me, but so seems all too many so wanting to carry a gun no matter what. I'm glad I don't have that sort of predisposition or obsession, though again I am all for our right to bear arms!

Old 01-22-2016, 02:50 PM

29,552 posts, read 9,733,904 times
Default No need to repeat yourself...

Quote:
Originally Posted by numberfive View Post
Nobody -- I repeat nobody -- has said that in this thread. Total strawman.

If you're the only concealed carrier, maybe you'll be the first to get shot. In that event, I agree, you were no more or less safe from the spree shooter. But if you're not killed right away in that scenario, I don't know a single person that would think "I sure am glad this is a gun free zone!" Or even "good thing I don't have a gun!"

That's ridiculous. But also pure fantasy, I don't carry to be a hero that stops a mass shooter. It's so rare to begin with. I don't have a specific scenario in mind for that matter.

I carry just in case, just like I put on a seat belt just in case. I don't take any pleasure in imagining how the seatbelt will save me from being T-boned by a 2004 Honda Civic on the third day of a blue moon on the left side of a watermelon either.
The request that no one bother to bring an argument is not EXACTLY the same thing as a straw man argument, but I hate those damn straw man arguments so much, I will simply just remark, "duly noted," and try to avoid that sort of thing again. Just that although that argument may not have been introduced in this thread, I don't know many gun threads where that kind of argument -- about the ability of the good guy to protect from the bad guy with a gun -- has not been more than introduced, over and over. Was just hoping, asking, not again here...

Otherwise, sticking strictly to your scenario, your words verbatim, the circumstances are carefully crafted to present a situation that is extremely rare. The cases where an armed "good guy" has been able to fire back against an armed "bad guy" just doesn't rank in terms of gun violence statistics to warrant serious consideration, not since the good old wild west days.

Statistically speaking anyways, or maybe just please lets be sensible, the odds are better I won't be faced with a bad guy and a gun if we have all been forced to go through a security screen like that at the airport. Can we not simply agree to that simple dose of reality?

PS: Like I tried to explain to some very stubborn folks in some really bad prior threads, the issue of gun violence is not solely a function of mass killings or even total homicides. It also includes accidents and the like as represented by the story introduced in this thread!

One incident of many...

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, in 2013, firearms were used in 84,258 nonfatal injuries (26.65 per 100,000 U.S. citizens) and 11,208 deaths by homicide (3.5 per 100,000), 21,175 by suicide with a firearm, 505 deaths due to accidental discharge of a firearm, and 281 deaths due to firearms-use with "undetermined intent" for a total of 33,169 deaths related to firearms (excluding firearm deaths due to legal intervention). 1.3% of all deaths in the country were related to firearms.

Old 01-22-2016, 03:08 PM

1,951 posts, read 1,637,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
The request that no one bother to bring an argument is not EXACTLY the same thing as a straw man argument, but I hate those damn straw man arguments so much, I will simply just remark, "duly noted," and try to avoid that sort of thing again.
Thanks!

Quote:
Otherwise, sticking strictly to your scenario, your words verbatim, the circumstances are carefully crafted to present a situation that is extremely rare. The cases where an armed "good guy" has been able to fire back against an armed "bad guy" just doesn't rank in terms of gun violence statistics to warrant serious consideration, not since the good old wild west days.
Right, the chances of dying in an active shooter situation -- by FBI standards -- are statistically in the same ballpark as being struck by lightning. I'm not worried about it.

Quote:
Statistically speaking anyways, or maybe just please lets be sensible, the odds are better I won't be faced with a bad guy and a gun if we have all been forced to go through a security screen like that at the airport. Can we not simply agree to that simple dose of reality?
You can't speak statistically about that scenario. I'm a 'by the numbers' type, so it's hard for me to wrap my head around 'what if' scenarios like that.

Quote:
PS: Like I tried to explain to some very stubborn folks in some really bad prior threads, the issue of gun violence is not solely a function of mass killings or even total homicides. It also includes accidents and the like as represented by the story introduced in this thread!

One incident of many...

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, in 2013, firearms were used in 84,258 nonfatal injuries (26.65 per 100,000 U.S. citizens) and 11,208 deaths by homicide (3.5 per 100,000), 21,175 by suicide with a firearm, 505 deaths due to accidental discharge of a firearm, and 281 deaths due to firearms-use with "undetermined intent" for a total of 33,169 deaths related to firearms (excluding firearm deaths due to legal intervention). 1.3% of all deaths in the country were related to firearms.
You've just listed 5 different types of firearms injuries. All five would need to be addressed in different ways. Which one would you like to focus on?

Old 01-22-2016, 03:29 PM

20,728 posts, read 19,374,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
"Preliminary accounts indicate that an intoxicated suspect entered one of the theaters and was fumbling with a handgun he had in his possession when it went off, striking another patron seated in front of him," Renton Police said in a statement."

Woman seriously injured in Renton theater shooting | News, Weather, Sports, Breaking News | KOMO

The victim, who was shot in the chest, is in serious condition. The shooter is in police custody. Thank God he wasn't denied his second amendment rights.

How many people die driving to the movie theatre? The debate isn't whether guns will have lethal accidents. The debate is whether it is a useful tool or not in the hand of citizens.

Old 01-22-2016, 03:42 PM

17,596 posts, read 13,372,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeastah View Post
theaters are gun free zone.

so who do you blame now?
Some theaters, not all theaters. MrsM and I will not fo to a show where we cant carry

That said. In this case, it is the drunk ahole behind the gun. Do we even know if he has a CCW? Does he legally own the gun?

With, or without, a CCW, the shooter is at fault!

Old 01-22-2016, 03:58 PM

4,800 posts, read 3,511,121 times
Quote:
Are theaters "gun free zones?" I didn't know this and would appreciate confirmation if true, because I thought only schools officially had that designation...

Also, as far as blaming the gun, there always seems to be the quick want to make that argument on both sides (for or against), but isn't that a little ridiculous given that we ALL know a gun doesn't have a will of its own. Doesn't even have legs or arms or a brain!

Where the complicity comes into play is when, where and how a person partners up with a gun vs other things a theater patron might "fumble around with."

I don't know that theaters are "gun free zones," but I think we are fast moving to a day where many more public places other than schools will truly become "gun free zones" with scanners and the like to make them so just like airport security. Can't happen fast enough.

Queue recitings of the 2A in 3...., 2...., 1....
There is a website for every state that describes their laws. Each state is a little different, but most theatres are gun free zones.
Chapter 9.41 RCW: FIREARMS AND DANGEROUS WEAPONS
Washington defines a number of places you cannot carry:
• Any place where carrying firearms is prohibited by federal law
• Public or private elementary or secondary school premises, school-provided transportation, or areas/facilities while being used exclusively by public or private schools (CRW 9.41.280)
• On the site of an "outdoor music festival" (CRW 70.108.150)
• Restricted access areas of a jail, or of a law enforcement facility, or any place used for the confinement of a person (CRW 9.41.300)
• Areas in any building which are used in connection with court proceedings, including courtrooms, jury rooms, judge's chambers, offices, etc. (CRW 9.41.300)
• The restricted access areas of a public mental health facility certified by the department of social and health services for inpatient hospital care and state institutions for the care of the mentally ill, excluding those facilities solely for evaluation and treatment (CRW 9.41.300)
• Any portion of an establishment classified by the state liquor control board as off-limits to persons under twenty-one years of age (CRW 9.41.300)
Please see CRW 9.41.300 for additional areas and more detailed descriptions of the restricted carry areas above.

http://www.regmovies.com/Theatres/Admittance-Procedures

Last edited by Steve40th; 01-22-2016 at 04:12 PM..

Old 01-22-2016, 04:02 PM

57,318 posts, read 26,236,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
How many people die driving to the movie theatre? The debate isn't whether guns will have lethal accidents. The debate is whether it is a useful tool or not in the hand of citizens.
You need to drive a car to get to the movie theatre, you don't need a gun to watch a movie.

Old 01-22-2016, 04:07 PM

1,951 posts, read 1,637,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
You need to drive a car to get to the movie theatre, you don't need a gun to watch a movie.
You missed the point of the analogy. You could deconstruct any analogy by finding a difference, but do you honestly think that's what they meant?

Old 01-22-2016, 04:21 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,886,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
How many people are killed by drunk drivers v.s the drunk gun owner?
You could take a taxi to the movie, or a bus or even walk. So no you don't need to drive.
I never carry even tho I have a CC permit. It's a choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events