Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2016, 08:35 PM

7,473 posts, read 4,013,890 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarius37 View Post
I have snowphobia (legit) and I am in a state of unease, full of anxiety, nearly paralytic inside of my apartment right now. I don't have boots. I threw them out, along with most of my winter clothes, in a hissy fit at the end of last Winter saying NEVER again will I endure another nyc winter. I am from the area, but over the years my SAD has gotten SO bad. I thought for sure last winter was the last, but here I am again. Bootless and paralyzed and full of anxiety and winter depression that I can't seem to control with anything. At least there are some places open within walking distance because I didn't stock up on food (i don't like standing in long lines), but i'll probably go hungry. I was going to spend the day cleaning out my closets, but im afraid i'll empty them out, get inside, and cry or something and not come out until i have to leave for work on Monday morning. A lot of people are drama queens about snow, but for some of us snow storms are the seventh circle of hell.

how else can I put it............"get a grip"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2016, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
I took 20 minutes in the store; the drive would be another 20 but I stopped after work so I was close.

I do all my pre-winter house/property prep in October. I am pretty much set except I thought I should buy some propane for my portable cook top in case the power went out. Dog food was getting low and I picked up a few fresh items.

Generator ready to go. Not much prep time required here.

I don't understand people not having a basic food supply to weather a couple of days. Don't know why it would take two days to prepare for a storm. You should always be prepared.

This is the correct attitude.

Old 01-23-2016, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacanegro View Post
Well as of right now we (in NOVA) have 2' of snow and it's still coming down.

I can drive as I have a jeep and there is a single plowed lane in the neighborhood but I had to shovel for 2 hours to get the car out. I dove my son to a neighbor's house then came back. I am sore now but will have to shovel again tomorrow.

don't forget... a jeep or any four wheel drive vehicle will get stuck just as easy as any vehicle as soon as you lose ground clearance.

Old 01-23-2016, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJerseyMemories View Post
I am actually glad that the media talks about it because some people are dense and would definitely try to drive in this mess.

In northern New Jersey it is very bad. It has been snowing furiously all day. Last year we had a very bad winter and lots of roofs collapsed due to the heavy snow.

Also, the poor battered Jersey shore is getting pounded again.

that is another reason you should NEVER have more than two layers of shingles on your roof............

Old 01-23-2016, 08:43 PM

35,016 posts, read 16,978,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
I'm sorry I can't stand it anymore, I had to say something.

There's like three inches of snow and the whole northeast is paralyzed, declaring emergencies and freaking out. Planes are grounded, cities vacant. Stores shelves look like the day after the end of the world, people seem terrified to go outside, all I see on tv are empty streets.

They call it a Monster Storm? Where is it? CNN says they are activating the national guard.

Good lord out here in the west, when it snows we go skiing! We don't even look for the chains for less than ten inches. LOL.

OK, your turn. If anyone has survived this apocolyptic event with internet intact please let the rest of us know the truth so we can stop laughing at you if it is in fact unwarranted.

Please stay safe.
We had close to 15" here in Westchester. I understand that NYC and DC bested us by at least 10". That sounds serious.

Old 01-23-2016, 08:57 PM

1,540 posts, read 1,124,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
I don't want to minimize the hardship that east coast folks are experiencing right now, but out here in Washington state, snowfalls like that occur several times nearly every winter. Most residents of my city of 250,000 had no power for over a week in November; black ice is something we deal with neraly every day -- along with freezing fog, freezing rain, and air stagnation.

That this storm is occurring in the heavily populated media centers makes it headline news. But we westerners put up with this weather on a regular basis, and it goes nearly unreported in the national news.

It's winter, folks!
I'm with you....We love the snow and moved to the midwest to get more of it than we had back east. We don't drive in it when its bad, have a whole house generator and are in our 60's.....You just have to use common sense and enjoy the beauty of it all!!!

Old 01-23-2016, 09:02 PM

1,540 posts, read 1,124,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildColonialGirl View Post
Would you be happy to pay the taxes to buy all that machinery and salt when it will nevr get used?

Why not, you are already paying taxes so it can be given to NJ every time the houses (ALONG THE OCEAN) get flooded. No vacation house is worth replacing carpet drywall and appliances every time there iw a weather event but we bail them out every time....
As far as southern states are concerned you just need a salt pile that if it is never used can sit from year to year.

Old 01-23-2016, 09:03 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,979,232 times
As of 6:45 pm, over 27 inches in my town in NJ, and it's been going sonde and still isn't over. This is pretty big. Plows are getting stuck because it was coming down so hard they couldn't keep up.

Old 01-23-2016, 09:10 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,979,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68551 View Post
Why not, you are already paying taxes so it can be given to NJ every time the houses (ALONG THE OCEAN) get flooded. No vacation house is worth replacing carpet drywall and appliances every time there iw a weather event but we bail them out every time....
As far as southern states are concerned you just need a salt pile that if it is never used can sit from year to year.
Serious question, do any of my tax dollars go to you in the Midwest if your house gets destroyed by a tornado? There is nowhere that is free from risk of natural disaster. Everyone's at risk, whether oceanfront or in the middle of a plain. Cliffside (mudslides) or on a major tectonic plate. You never know what's going to happen and when. It may seem logical to not build by the ocean, but doesn't it also seem logical to not build in tornado alley? Or in a hilly/mountain-y area that's dry but when it does see rain, the whole facade of the hill slips?

Not to mention, NJ is one of those states that gives more than it receives to the federal government... we help support poorer, generally less fortunate states so excuse us if we want some oceanfront property that may occasionally flood. Do I complain when yet another tornado rips through OK like clockwork every spring? No, I feel bad and move on. Natural disasters will always occur, and our money goes to helping each and every one.

Old 01-23-2016, 09:11 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,950,448 times
Snow? Where? I don't see any around here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events