Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2016, 08:38 AM

4,511 posts, read 5,050,257 times

Advertisements

Don't you know that whatever happens on the East coast is always much more devastating than anywhere else ? Their rainstorms are always wetter, their hurricanes are always stronger, the snow is always deeper, the temperature colder, etc. Those people are special, and they want the rest of us to know it. When I was stationed in Virginia in 1960 there was a 2" snowfall and even the Army was shut down, being from the Midwest I couldn't believe it, and here it is 55 years later and they still don't know how to handle a couple of inches of snow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2016, 08:45 AM

8,378 posts, read 4,361,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodpete View Post
here it is 55 years later and they still don't know how to handle a couple of inches of snow.

There is a big difference in coping ability when you deal with something 9 months out of the year compared to maybe 9 days a year.

Old 01-23-2016, 08:55 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,977,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodpete View Post
Don't you know that whatever happens on the East coast is always much more devastating than anywhere else ? Their rainstorms are always wetter, their hurricanes are always stronger, the snow is always deeper, the temperature colder, etc. Those people are special, and they want the rest of us to know it. When I was stationed in Virginia in 1960 there was a 2" snowfall and even the Army was shut down, being from the Midwest I couldn't believe it, and here it is 55 years later and they still don't know how to handle a couple of inches of snow.
It has nothing to do with what we want. We have no control over what the media chooses to report on and how dramatic they choose to be. We live life like everyone else.

I imagine Bos-Wash is always in the news when we get bad weather because nearly 100 million people are affected in this dense area. DC and NYC are two of the most important and prominent cities in the country, and NYC has the country's largest metro area. When a storm like Sandy or this one hits the area, it's affecting a lot of people in a very dense region. I guess the media just finds it worth reporting on. But those of us living here have no control over that, so take your bitterness somewhere else.

And again, there is not "a couple inches" in the DC area. Well over a foot. The predictions had this storm breaking records for that area, and it's not far off.

Old 01-23-2016, 08:59 AM

6,470 posts, read 16,395,056 times
Outside is snowmageddon! It is still snowing. About 2-3 feet I'd say.

Old 01-23-2016, 09:10 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,454,776 times
The problem is that the MSM tend to hype up every storm now so it makes it that much harder to determine if a storm is going to be that severe.

Like the boy that cried wolf.

Old 01-23-2016, 09:23 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,916,997 times
I blame global warming .... both for the snow and for the way it is hyped up.

Old 01-23-2016, 09:23 AM

18,757 posts, read 11,789,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tucker Black View Post
I agree, they are overreacting. The icy areas in southeast Pennsylvania are where people need to stay home and be prepared for power outages. Two feet of snow should not paralyze a region with lots of people where there is regular winter weather. It's not Houston or Miami for heavens sake.

It depends on how fast the snow comes and how much wind there is to form drifts. We had a blizzard a couple of years back that had way less then two feet of snow,,,,yet there were cars stopped dead in their tracks on major arteries with drivers trapped in frigid temps for hours.

I was working that night and trapped at work for two days. I remember watching this drift form and in minutes it was quite large. It was quite dramatic watching it form. I think we only had about ten inches that day but I could be wrong. I do know it wasn't anywhere near two feet.

I agree that three inches is child's play, but if it's a freak thing in your area I can understand the fear of driving in it. Three inches is a disappointment for me here. I wish we were getting two feet. I'm so jealous. I'm retired now and I would be out playing in it with my dogs, instead of being miserable working my butt off at work all night long.

Old 01-23-2016, 09:35 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,358,417 times
This idea that a storm that drops a couple of feet of snow is not a big deal cracks me up. I grew up in Ohio, where a huge storm in the late '70s dropped a similar amount in a short time. It brought the city to a standstill. My parents were trapped at the hospital, as nobody could get in to relieve them. Eventually, the National Guard stepped in and started picking up essential personnel and ferrying them to work and back. I still have photos of the snow. Years later, when I was in college, another storm, this time involving inches of ice, paralyzed the city. Trees and power lines down all over the place. Electricity out for days. It was a mess! I don't doubt that this is serious for the Mid-Atlantic states.

Old 01-23-2016, 09:41 AM

12,755 posts, read 9,643,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
Had to laugh at the Mayor of D.C. telling residents to "Shelter in place". Is saying "Stay home" too difficult?
"Shelter in place" means, wherever you are, stay there and do not try to drive.

Not everyone is 'home' when a snowstorm hits.

I'm laughing, too, but not at the mayor!

Old 01-23-2016, 09:48 AM

21,097 posts, read 19,699,244 times
Maybe these places that "never get a lot of snow" should start thinking about buying adequate snow removal equipment.

...and stop listening to Al Gore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events