Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2016, 11:11 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,364,015 times

Advertisements

They still have twenty-four hours to go, and it's off to a raring start. I think this is going to be a doozy of a storm for the Mid-Atlantic, where snows of this magnitude are very serious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2016, 11:12 AM

12,755 posts, read 9,645,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
It's a great source of amusement in my house, to watch the national news and hear all the doom and gloom by a spokes person standing in the snow where you can still see black pavement and the blades of grass are sticking up out of the snow.

Isn't that funny?! Not many people know that a snowstorm starts with a dusting of snow. Then, hour after hour, it builds up to become inches and then feet deep! You just learned something!

Last night a newscaster was standing in a snow drift that came halfway up his calf telling us that snow was knee deep in the area. He probably had to walk for blocks to find snow that deep.

No, that was probably a few hours later when the dusting of snow had time to become deeper!

All the tires spinning and cars being pushed on what looks basically like bare pavement, get shouts of "buy some tires, you idiot"

I guess it doesn't take much to amuse some people!

Honest to God, you'd think two inches of snow was the end of the world. But on the plus side, it makes for some comic relief around here.
Yeah! You should have heard me laughing my head off at the forest fires out there, and stupid peoples' houses burning down! Smokes and whiskey, feet up on the leather ottoman, laughing heartily!

Laughing at people fearful of a little fire! OMG, LOL.

Now, since there is two feet of snow outside my house, I'm going to make some pumpkin bread and enjoy watching my dogs make trails in the snow!

Old 01-23-2016, 11:16 AM

17,569 posts, read 13,344,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
I'm sorry I can't stand it anymore, I had to say something.

There's like three inches of snow and the whole northeast is paralyzed, declaring emergencies and freaking out. Planes are grounded, cities vacant. Stores shelves look like the day after the end of the world, people seem terrified to go outside, all I see on tv are empty streets.

They call it a Monster Storm? Where is it? CNN says they are activating the national guard.

Your numbers (3 in) are way off, but TV coverage is still overreacting.

This is what TV weather people live for, It's their time to shine! God, I want to be a weather man standing in the middle of the road with a yardstick in 50 MPH blowing snow

I think I actually saw one weather lady so giggily about the monster storm that she might have had an orgasm on air. (Either that, or she peed her pants)

Old 01-23-2016, 11:19 AM

12,755 posts, read 9,645,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
Yes because it was a big surprise the snow was coming.
The timing of the storm was all over the place, so, yes, it probably caught some people off-guard.

Before it started, the prediction for my particular area was the snow would start around midnight. Over the course of Friday, timing predictions varied from snow starting at 5pm to, again, midnight.

I suppose people who worked yesterday thought they had time to do some shopping afterward.

Do people where you live take two days off before a storm starts to prepare? Sounds kinda lazy, or maybe they don't have jobs.

Old 01-23-2016, 11:22 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,326,022 times
It's winter, people. Lighten up.

Old 01-23-2016, 11:29 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,984,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet View Post
Who ends up paying for the dunes? Local residents or the entire state's taxpayers?
I'm honestly not sure. But I do know that some shore residents sue the municipality/state when they come up with plans to build dunes or other protection because it ruins their views. Idiots. It causes delays, when they could have had dunes this whole time and be protected now. But let's fight the protection instead in the name of property values.

Old 01-23-2016, 11:30 AM

2,186 posts, read 4,572,540 times
Honestly - those of you who think this storm and its repercussions are a big joke should be ashamed of yourselves. Just because some of you are perhaps used to snow and ice, or like it or whatever does not mean that everybody feels the same way. People panic and die in instances like this. I do agree that media does definitely overplay BUT they do an excellent job of letting the masses know what's coming in a timely manner and giving them plenty of time to react, plan, prepare, and hopefully relocate if they are able to.

I see no reason to laugh, point fingers, or make fun of people who are not prepared for this kind of a storm. Nobody wants to die for pete's sake. We're lucky that we have the technology today that the weathermen can alert us to what's coming - but they can't control what we do with that knowledge. Some people are like lemmings - they just follow the herd. Run to the store, buy stuff they aren't sure they will or won't need, worry needlessly, etc. They don't know what else to do.....

So, next time you all snort and chuckle at how those southerners, or north-easterner's or (insert whatever) remember the first time you experienced it yourself. Were you calm and collected? Was it amusing? Did you enjoy it? Didn't think so....cut them some slack...

I grew up and live in the midwest. I know about snow, ice, tornado's, etc. Have experienced them up close and personal, but I don't want to do it again, or over and over. I want to get through it as painlessly as the next person....and God willing we all do.

You folks on the East coast - hunker down and stay safe. There's at least one of us here that doesn't think this is a big joke or that you guys deserve it. Hope it ends soon with no loss of life. Good luck to you all.....

Old 01-23-2016, 11:36 AM

26,404 posts, read 46,566,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
In the KC Metro area we had a dusting of snow the other day. . . and lo and behold the local news broke into a tv show with "STORM ALERT!!!". Jeez!

Haven't lived my entire life; however, the 'old timers' have told me (and showed photographs) of 10 ft snow drifts against telephone poles in the Wichita area back in the mid 50s. What we get now is nothing compared to what they had to deal with, plus they didn't have city crews clearing off the roads.
KC metro area is almost exactly like the South these days in terms of dealing with snow or bad weather of any type, a total joke and not like the real Midwest in any form or fashion. When I lived in Wisconsin the only type of storms that caused a slight problem were events of a foot or greater at a time WITH high winds creating severe blowing snow.

Old 01-23-2016, 11:50 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,364,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFoulke View Post
Honestly - those of you who think this storm and its repercussions are a big joke should be ashamed of yourselves. Just because some of you are perhaps used to snow and ice, or like it or whatever does not mean that everybody feels the same way. People panic and die in instances like this. I do agree that media does definitely overplay BUT they do an excellent job of letting the masses know what's coming in a timely manner and giving them plenty of time to react, plan, prepare, and hopefully relocate if they are able to.

I see no reason to laugh, point fingers, or make fun of people who are not prepared for this kind of a storm. Nobody wants to die for pete's sake. We're lucky that we have the technology today that the weathermen can alert us to what's coming - but they can't control what we do with that knowledge. Some people are like lemmings - they just follow the herd. Run to the store, buy stuff they aren't sure they will or won't need, worry needlessly, etc. They don't know what else to do.....

So, next time you all snort and chuckle at how those southerners, or north-easterner's or (insert whatever) remember the first time you experienced it yourself. Were you calm and collected? Was it amusing? Did you enjoy it? Didn't think so....cut them some slack...

I grew up and live in the midwest. I know about snow, ice, tornado's, etc. Have experienced them up close and personal, but I don't want to do it again, or over and over. I want to get through it as painlessly as the next person....and God willing we all do.

You folks on the East coast - hunker down and stay safe. There's at least one of us here that doesn't think this is a big joke or that you guys deserve it. Hope it ends soon with no loss of life. Good luck to you all.....
Damn straight! Make that two of us.

Old 01-23-2016, 12:06 PM

8,052 posts, read 12,772,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
The timing of the storm was all over the place, so, yes, it probably caught some people off-guard.

Before it started, the prediction for my particular area was the snow would start around midnight. Over the course of Friday, timing predictions varied from snow starting at 5pm to, again, midnight.

I suppose people who worked yesterday thought they had time to do some shopping afterward.

Do people where you live take two days off before a storm starts to prepare? Sounds kinda lazy, or maybe they don't have jobs.
So my comment on the Mayor of D.C.'s inane choice of words has evolved into your insulting my neighbors? Pathetic.

I do not understand why you think it takes two days to prepare for a snowstorm. Took me about 20 minutes two days before the storm to get what I needed. Why would you think my neighbors need two days? Did it take you two days off from work to "prepare"?

The snow came early here too but it didn't catch anyone "off guard". We knew it was coming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events