Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2016, 05:19 AM

28,163 posts, read 25,390,626 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom1944 View Post
Overuse of antibiotics might lead to the development of a superbug immune to any tool we have to fight it. I doubt anyone would say we should not have invented and improved antibiotics through the years.

There is a potential negative side to all these scientific progressions. I vote we still move forward.
And what are we doing to curb the overuse of antibiotics? NOTHING. This is my point. We have a really ****ty history of doing anything about the abuses of technology. Why should I believe gene editing will be any different?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2016, 06:24 AM

8,404 posts, read 4,406,388 times
I don't have a problem with any helpful medical science but toying with genetic structure does concern me. Screw with the wrong gene or enable genes that have been "turned off" due to thousands of years of evolution and you may condemn the future of the human race to the toilet. Though it may sound like science fiction you have to wonder if viral research and genetic research should cross paths, could genetic mutation be transmitted like the flu or worse?

Old 02-04-2016, 06:26 AM

14 posts, read 17,246 times
if we don't know what the gene actually does, do nothing or do everything is the same.
go ahead, do it.

Old 02-04-2016, 11:26 AM

2,499 posts, read 2,635,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
And what are we doing to curb the overuse of antibiotics? NOTHING. This is my point. We have a really ****ty history of doing anything about the abuses of technology. Why should I believe gene editing will be any different?

Are you saying since we are not handling the use of antibiotics perfectly we should never have invented them in the first place?

Old 02-04-2016, 03:08 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,321,672 times
Quote:
Overuse of antibiotics might lead to the development of a superbug immune to any tool we have to fight it. I doubt anyone would say we should not have invented and improved antibiotics through the years.

There is a potential negative side to all these scientific progressions. I vote we still move forward.
What has happened with antibiotics is a lot of ignorence, or just not considering the results. Antibiotics were a miracle. Doctors started giving them out like candy. But now penicillin is almost worthless since its been used so much, and to treat minor things you have to take a much stronger drug. When I was a kid in the fifties, if you went to the doctor and had the snuffles, you got pills, even if maybe all you had was a cold. What should not have been done was it being used wrong, and without effort to find out if it fitted the problem.

Old 02-04-2016, 10:29 PM

28,163 posts, read 25,390,626 times
Quote:
Are you saying since we are not handling the use of antibiotics perfectly we should never have invented them in the first place?
Nope. I'm saying we learn from our mistakes and ****ing do something about it. We NEVER do.

Old 02-05-2016, 11:49 PM

3,190 posts, read 3,197,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
1. I do adhere to my own beliefs. 2. I don't think everyone else should adhere to mine, I am merely expressing an opinion. I am allowed to do that... this is a forum... 3. You don't know me and have no right to tell me I don't adhere to my own beliefs, beliefs which you know nothing about.
Do I need to quote you on your beliefs to remind you of them?

Old 02-06-2016, 01:36 AM

12,883 posts, read 14,050,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MordinSolus View Post
Do I need to quote you on your beliefs to remind you of them?
No. You need to leave me alone because I'm just expressing my opinion. Move on. Plenty of people on this thread agree with you, converse with them and stop trying to attack me for my opinion.

Old 02-06-2016, 11:44 PM

3,190 posts, read 3,197,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
No. You need to leave me alone because I'm just expressing my opinion. Move on. Plenty of people on this thread agree with you, converse with them and stop trying to attack me for my opinion.
You're on a discussion forum, not a "leave me alone while I share my contradictory views/beliefs" forum.

Old 02-07-2016, 08:17 AM

12,883 posts, read 14,050,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MordinSolus View Post
You're on a discussion forum, not a "leave me alone while I share my contradictory views/beliefs" forum.
Seriously, get a life. I'm not contradicting myself. I've stated clearly that I feel there is a difference between creating meds that work (often in the short-term) on one individual, and forever altering a person and family's gene pool. There is a difference between me taking Zithromax to cure my sinus infection and me having my genes altered to protect my future children and grandchildren and great-grandchildren, etc, by taking something out of our genetics that could possibly hurt them. If you can't see that, that's not my problem.

And even if for whatever crazy reason you think I'm contradicting myself and being a hypocrite, why the hell do you care so much? Exactly, it's a discussion forum, so I am sharing my opinion. We don't even know each other. Who cares? Clearly my opinion is different than yours, perhaps you can't deal with that. You need to. Get over it and move on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events