Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2016, 09:34 AM

28,163 posts, read 25,407,973 times

Advertisements

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/02/02/he...tain.html?_r=0

Quote:
A British researcher has received permission to use a powerful new genome editing technique on human embryos, even though researchers throughout the world are observing a voluntary moratorium on making changes to DNA that could be passed down to subsequent generations.

The British experiment would not contravene the moratorium because there is no intention to implant the altered embryos in a womb. But it brings one step closer the fateful decision of whether to alter the human germ line for medical or other purposes.
I am on the fence with this decision. On one hand, such research could help so many people beat diseases and even stop congenital issues from ever happening. On the other hand, the idea of designer babies disturbs me. But we've been "playing God" ever since the first healer intervened in another's sickness, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2016, 09:59 AM

14,373 posts, read 18,456,467 times
My best friend died of cystic fibrosis. If something like this could have helped her, I'm all for it. This was gonna happen sooner or later. Better in a controlled and supervised study.

Old 02-02-2016, 11:18 AM

6,497 posts, read 9,886,439 times
I'm all for it. Why keep an identified Gene if it causes cancer, or heart attacks? Why keep those genetics? be done with them and help mankind.

Old 02-02-2016, 12:06 PM

16,788 posts, read 8,777,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/02/02/he...tain.html?_r=0

I am on the fence with this decision. On one hand, such research could help so many people beat diseases and even stop congenital issues from ever happening. On the other hand, the idea of designer babies disturbs me. But we've been "playing God" ever since the first healer intervened in another's sickness, right?

One word

Gattaca

`

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTLightning View Post
I'm all for it. Why keep an identified Gene if it causes cancer, or heart attacks? Why keep those genetics? be done with them and help mankind.

Many things in life have unintended consequences. So while your thoughts are noble, and probably shared by a great many people, abuses would almost certainly be part of the equation. Not all technology will lead to sci-fi horrors, but the potential for it with gene splicing/manipulation is real.

`

Old 02-02-2016, 12:54 PM

28,163 posts, read 25,407,973 times
I'm thinking of the abuses plastic surgery has seen. Plastic surgery started off as a way to help soldiers disfigured in wars. Now look at what its become. I can see the same thing happening with gene editing.

Old 02-02-2016, 01:05 PM

221 posts, read 203,723 times
Quote:
I'm thinking of the abuses plastic surgery has seen. Plastic surgery started off as a way to help soldiers disfigured in wars. Now look at what its become. I can see the same thing happening with gene editing.
So are you suggesting that plastic surgery never should have been explored and advanced?

Old 02-02-2016, 02:45 PM

24,620 posts, read 19,254,129 times
Quote:
But we've been "playing God" ever since the first healer intervened in another's sickness, right?
Putting a tourniquet around someone's stump isn't the same thing as playing god.

Old 02-02-2016, 03:42 PM

12,883 posts, read 14,065,019 times
I think people want to mess with science a little too much. With all the disease curing and extreme life saving methods we try on people, and now this, I don't know. I'm not saying I want people to die or have genetic diseases but what's natural is natural... I don't like the idea of messing with nature too much in this way. Earth is already overpopulated, I don't think we need to be saving every person and taking such extreme measures all the time and even theoretically save people who aren't conceived yet.

I think of people like Jaxon Buell, the baby with anencephaly or microcephaly, whichever he has, and how he has no QOL and very very limited brain function because he was born with virtually no brain to begin with. But look how far they're going to keep him alive - feeding tube, constant exams, dealing with his seizures, episodes of inconsolable crying. Florida 'Miracle Baby' Born Without Most of His Brain Beating the Odds - ABC News It's sad to see this condition happen to a baby but I just think we take things too far with life-saving techniques now.

I think of Darwinism and just natural selection. Not everyone is meant to live. Not every condition is compatible with life. It's sad, but it's how it is. I don't know why we need to try to change it. I sometimes think that before we know it, people will probably be cured of most diseases and able to survive any condition, and life spans may be extended. I think this will have lasting negative implications on society as a whole. I think some aspects of nature need to remain and I think humans, while meaning well, get too involved sometimes because they have good intentions.

Old 02-02-2016, 04:30 PM

13,527 posts, read 9,090,385 times
I don't see a problem at all, if it helps in the study of genetics & could ultimately help people who miscarry babies or have them born with incurable diseases/disabilities. If anyone thinks this is bad then they obviously don't know about how many other medical advances were made over the centuries that benefit every one of us...

Old 02-02-2016, 04:48 PM

3,016 posts, read 3,924,635 times
'Dying swans, twisted wings. . . .You are planned and you've been damned. In this brave new world.'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events