Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2016, 05:07 PM

11,402 posts, read 16,796,989 times

Advertisements

Ok, I'll jump in.

How is this different than 1939 Berlin with trying to create the perfect child.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2016, 08:08 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,437,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro69 View Post
Ok, I'll jump in.

How is this different than 1939 Berlin with trying to create the perfect child.
Big difference between trying to prevent an already conceived embryo from developing a painful, fatal or life-threatening disease or defect and trying to genetically engineer an entire population to look a uniform way for aesthetic purposes.

Like I said, my best friend died of a genetic disease far too young. Trust me, she wasn't ready to go. And my roommate lives a life that has been filled with pain and endless operations from the time she was a baby due to a chromosomal defect. If you asked her that question, well, I think you'd be lucky her disabilities mean she can't manage more than a slow limp, because she'd be looking to clobber you.

Old 02-02-2016, 10:35 PM

3,190 posts, read 3,197,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Putting a tourniquet around someone's stump isn't the same thing as playing god.
Why not? If that person would have died otherwise then wasn't it God's plan that he die? Unless it's all predetermined and God planned on that tourniquet being applied. In which case God also planned for these embryos to be genetically altered.

Old 02-02-2016, 10:51 PM

28,163 posts, read 25,390,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boogityboogity View Post
So are you suggesting that plastic surgery never should have been explored and advanced?
I'm suggesting we learn from the past and not make gene editing optional. Yes, I know its not NOW but I also know how well we humans learn from our collective past.

Old 02-02-2016, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Putting a tourniquet around someone's stump isn't the same thing as playing god.
I beg to differ. You are intervening in a situation where a person would naturally die. I'm not suggesting this is what we should aspire to but every act done to stop death, cure illness, etc is playing God.

Old 02-02-2016, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
Big difference between trying to prevent an already conceived embryo from developing a painful, fatal or life-threatening disease or defect and trying to genetically engineer an entire population to look a uniform way for aesthetic purposes.

Like I said, my best friend died of a genetic disease far too young. Trust me, she wasn't ready to go. And my roommate lives a life that has been filled with pain and endless operations from the time she was a baby due to a chromosomal defect. If you asked her that question, well, I think you'd be lucky her disabilities mean she can't manage more than a slow limp, because she'd be looking to clobber you.
But the issue is that people misuse and exploit technology all the time. Why would gene editing be any different?

Old 02-03-2016, 07:07 AM

35,198 posts, read 31,539,531 times
Once this genie is let out of the bottle, there are going to be lots of people experimenting who perhaps don't have such noble goals.

Old 02-03-2016, 07:14 AM

14,375 posts, read 18,437,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
But the issue is that people misuse and exploit technology all the time. Why would gene editing be any different?
Then why make any scientific advances at all? After all, somebody could misuse them.

I think there's an argument to be made about developing more and more efficient weapons being morally questionable - after all, those have only one purpose. But when something is developed to fix a problem, the fact that other people might misuse it shouldn't really enter into the calculation. Now, if the act of using the solution leads directly to other problems that are just as bad, then the solution should be reconsidered.

But "somebody could use this for the wrong reasons" doesn't really past the smell test, imo.

Old 02-03-2016, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
Then why make any scientific advances at all? After all, somebody could misuse them.

I think there's an argument to be made about developing more and more efficient weapons being morally questionable - after all, those have only one purpose. But when something is developed to fix a problem, the fact that other people might misuse it shouldn't really enter into the calculation. Now, if the act of using the solution leads directly to other problems that are just as bad, then the solution should be reconsidered.

But "somebody could use this for the wrong reasons" doesn't really past the smell test, imo.
I don't know. That's my honest answer. I do not know. When we are extending the length of lives without improving the quality of them, what is the point of it all? Just to prove we can? Add that to the very real possibility of misuse of technology and there you have it. I don't know that technological advances are always a good thing. A lot of technological advances have caused just as much as bad as they've caused good.

Old 02-03-2016, 07:27 AM

2,573 posts, read 3,513,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MordinSolus View Post
Why not? If that person would have died otherwise then wasn't it God's plan that he die? Unless it's all predetermined and God planned on that tourniquet being applied. In which case God also planned for these embryos to be genetically altered.
We shouldn't have developed cure for any disease in that case. Let just go according to God's plan, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events