Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2016, 12:56 PM

6,732 posts, read 5,172,048 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
IMHO baseball is more American than football. (Not looking for a debate here anyone, just stating my opinion.)

I think that if the World Series was just one game like the Super Bowl, it would have the same public/media response the Super Bowl does. No one wants to sit there and feign interest in at least 4 baseball games (except for the fans of the teams playing). It's much easier to feign interest and have a big party on one day than 4-7. Me, not a fan of football. However, I LOVE baseball and was happy to see my Mets make the World Series this past season.
I can totally see an argument for that. Personally, I got into baseball before football, but was much better at football, so I gravitated towards that.

I love going to baseball games far more than football games, and I enjoy the World Series as well, even when my team isn't playing. Which they usually aren't (Astros ).

I stopped by HEB after church, and it was cool to see everyone buzzing about, getting everything for their Super Bowl parties (or non-Super Bowl activities). People had their Broncos or Panthers gear on and I overheard multiple people talking to cashiers about their Super Bowl festivities.

It's in Houston next year, and regardless of who is playing (I know the Texans won't be in it ), I plan on going.

Old 02-07-2016, 12:58 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,984,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATG5 View Post
I can totally see an argument for that. Personally, I got into baseball before football, but was much better at football, so I gravitated towards that.

I love going to baseball games far more than football games, and I enjoy the World Series as well, even when my team isn't playing. Which they usually aren't (Astros ).

I stopped by HEB after church, and it was cool to see everyone buzzing about, getting everything for their Super Bowl parties (or non-Super Bowl activities). People had their Broncos or Panthers gear on and I overheard multiple people talking to cashiers about their Super Bowl festivities.

It's in Houston next year, and regardless of who is playing (I know the Texans won't be in it ), I plan on going.
Yeah, I was pretty interested in the Super Bowl when it was in NJ a few years ago so I understand that. It was probably the most I've ever been into it.

Old 02-07-2016, 01:21 PM

11,157 posts, read 13,999,826 times
As near as I can figure, the vast majority of people fall into one of these three categories:

1) those who will watch the Super Bowl (includes all degrees of actual interest in the game, from die hard fans of the teams involved to those who will watch only because it's something to do)

2) those who do not care about the Super Bowl and may even be only loosely aware today is Super Bowl Sunday

3) those who care so little about the Super Bowl they take to forums such as this to proclaim their disinterest in the game to all who will listen

Old 02-07-2016, 01:32 PM

221 posts, read 202,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystery123 View Post
It's like Panthers 95% winning chance, Broncos 5%.
I'm hoping on the 5% and hopefully Manning will retire with a ring.
Well, win or lose he will eventually retire with a ring. He got one with the Colts.

Old 02-07-2016, 01:42 PM

2,085 posts, read 2,140,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steinish View Post
I don't know a single person who acts the way you're describing. Do you? Or are you guessing?
Um...yes...this seems to be a bit of an odd question...obviously I have seen such people or else I wouldn't have said it... you may have to get out more and expose yourself to a variety of people.

Old 02-07-2016, 01:43 PM

2,085 posts, read 2,140,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
well for one thing, that would likely annoy everyone else around you and just be weird
Meh..Not really...people party all the time without pretending to be excited about football.

Old 02-07-2016, 01:54 PM

8,886 posts, read 4,578,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soletaire View Post
Um...yes...this seems to be a bit of an odd question...obviously I have seen such people or else I wouldn't have said it... you may have to get out more and expose yourself to a variety of people.
Bad idea.

Old 02-07-2016, 04:07 PM

743 posts, read 766,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soletaire View Post
I doubt you're telling the truth. Nice try, though.

Old 02-07-2016, 04:11 PM

6,115 posts, read 4,606,165 times
I don't typically like watching sports, and football is near the bottom of my list of sports that I would tolerate watching.

With that said, there is something special about the Superbowl being a common bond of entertainment which is in short supply nowadays. Years ago, when television first came out, there were so few channels and shows, that people typically gather to watch the same thing and it would be a common bond and discussion point that most people who relate to with each other.

Now, with so many different forms of entertainment, sports and television in general has become something that has become so niche that 100 people who enjoy some form of entertainment partake in 100 different things, at different times with their DVRs, tablets, and based on their demographic niche, so there's no common thread with even television, which isn't exactly credited with allowing people to spend quality time with each other in the first place.

For that reason, I at least like to have the Superbowl in the background, if for no other reason, to feel some sense of connection and common bond with others and an iconic representation of pop culture that still bonds people together and out of their niches for a few hours. This is odd for me, because I typically go against the sheep/follow the herd mentality, but lately I've made an exception to at least passively watch this (which is still admittedly kind of tedious).

Last edited by Jowel; 02-07-2016 at 04:22 PM..

Old 02-07-2016, 05:29 PM

8,886 posts, read 4,578,846 times
Denver ahead 10-0 at end of first qtr

Denver ahead 13 - 7 at the half

Carolina gets the ball to start 2nd half.

Last edited by Buckeye77; 02-07-2016 at 06:22 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events