Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2016, 11:38 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,618,351 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nc17 View Post
Nobody noticed a body in an outdoor parking lot for 3 months? It almost validates her belief that there was no one out there to help her. Really sad and cold story.
She had tinted windows and shade in her front window. She wasn't exactly looking to be found. Have you ever noticed a car in a parking lot that hasn't moved? How do you know it hasn't moved? How do you know it's not an employee?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
So, I'm selfish because I'm getting my glasses out, looking at my shopping list in the parking lot, dropping my keys and don't look into cars?
The security cop for the store parking lot was the one that was amiss...at 2-3am...come on,
same car there ...this is not about 'uncaring people' or society as a whole.
In this day and age, there's far too little minding one's business going on. You're fine! I'm worried being run over by the crazy drivers than I am looking into cars.

Many stores don't have security in their parking lots. We have not at our WalMart. There's loss prevention in the store, but no one drivers around the lot. We've had campers in the parking lot for over a week and tractor trailers for a few days. I only notice them because they take up half of the parking row and are in no man's land. They're massive vehicles. I could tell you absolutely nothing about the vehicles though....they could be grey, green, orange marmalade, no clue!

This is definitely not about society! It's about a girl who was a drug addict who left rehab and got high right away and killed herself. You can only help someone so much. They have to want to help themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2016, 12:58 PM

5,649 posts, read 5,963,335 times
I cant imagine what that poor family is going through. But, at least they'll have closure now. Sad.

Old 02-12-2016, 01:16 PM

251 posts, read 175,401 times
This is very sad. She was so young and IMO not bad looking. Something like this is inexcusable. It never would have happened around here. First of all windows tinted that dark are illegal in my State. Second of all a VW Jetta would have stood out like a sore thumb amongst Ford, GM and Chrysler products....many/most of which pickup trucks and SUVs. Third if a vehicle is sitting in a parking lot unmoved and unattended for longer than 24 hours without the property owners permission it would have been tagged by the Sherriff's Department. People make jokes about rednecks as such. Around here it seems as though everyone either has a dog or a pickup truck. Both of which would have helped in a case like this. In a pickup you sit up high and can see in. If you missed what you saw, your pooch could smell that decaying corpse from two blocks away. They would have alerted you to a problem, I'm very sure of it. Ever see your dog take his nose down flush on the ground and sniff when you let him/her outside to go to the bathroom? A squirrel, rabbit, raccoon...."whatever" walked that path up to a week ago. To think him or her couldn't smell this girl is not only foolish, it would be impossible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMqgB6tbKC4

May you rest in peace sweetheart.

Old 02-12-2016, 01:49 PM

8,381 posts, read 4,365,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey River View Post
It never would have happened around here.

But it didn't

Old 02-12-2016, 02:03 PM

2,540 posts, read 2,755,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
This is a really sad story, but begs the question: how on earth did no one complain about a car parked in the lot for 3 months without moving. No one thought this was strange? Or noticed?

Woman's body was in Salinas Walmart parking lot for months - SFGate
Why would anybody complain about seeing a car in the same spot? And just WHO would have complained? Customers are just there to do their shopping and then they leave. And as for employees, for all they know the car belongs to someone who works there and likes to park in the same spot. If you see a car in the same spot whenever you are on your shift, who's to say it doesn't belong to somebody who works there also?

This quote from the article says it all:
Quote:
Salinas police said her car had dark-tinted windows, and a sunshade was covering the dashboard, making it difficult to spot someone inside.

Old 02-12-2016, 02:41 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,866,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanCrossroads View Post
Why would anybody complain about seeing a car in the same spot? And just WHO would have complained? Customers are just there to do their shopping and then they leave. And as for employees, for all they know the car belongs to someone who works there and likes to park in the same spot. If you see a car in the same spot whenever you are on your shift, who's to say it doesn't belong to somebody who works there also?

This quote from the article says it all:
The security that patrols the parking lot? An average customer isn't there frequently enough to notice. A worker possibly is.

It is totally suspicious that a car doesn't move over time. I notice when the same car is parked in the same spot on my block.

I assume they had someone patrolling during the day and night.

Old 02-12-2016, 03:11 PM

13,483 posts, read 9,024,194 times
I don't find it odd, it was a 24hr store, with a huge car park, so there would always be cars parked there. Who honestly can say they notice what cars are parked around them whenever they go to the supermarket? Even employees wouldn't notice & how are they to know the car didn't belong to someone else that worked there?... It is tragic, but if the woman wanted her body to be found sooner she would have been better parking up at the side of a road somewhere, not in a massive car park that always has cars in it...

Old 02-12-2016, 03:52 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,316,053 times
Many Walmart stores allow cars, trucks, vans, and even recreational vehicles to park in their lots as if they were campgrounds. Walmart's theory is, if the lots are big enough it's not a problem to them, the people in the vehicles will come into the store daily for provisions, and they will make money. It's considered a boon by many homeless people who still have vehicles, as well as travelers and long-haul truck drivers.

Virginia Thomas, conservative activist and wife of Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas, has written about the fact that she and her husband travel around the country in a trailer when she is doing Tea Party business and that they often park in Walmart lots.

So that might be at least part of the reason why this car wasn't looked at as strange for quite awhile.

Old 02-12-2016, 05:25 PM

2,220 posts, read 2,800,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
Many Walmart stores allow cars, trucks, vans, and even recreational vehicles to park in their lots as if they were campgrounds. Walmart's theory is, if the lots are big enough it's not a problem to them, the people in the vehicles will come into the store daily for provisions, and they will make money. It's considered a boon by many homeless people who still have vehicles, as well as travelers and long-haul truck drivers.

Virginia Thomas, conservative activist and wife of Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas, has written about the fact that she and her husband travel around the country in a trailer when she is doing Tea Party business and that they often park in Walmart lots.

So that might be at least part of the reason why this car wasn't looked at as strange for quite awhile.

THIS. I have seen Wal-Marts that become parking lots for the mobile homed. There are also "homeless" people who live out of their cars.

Old 02-12-2016, 05:46 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,316,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
... I assume they had someone patrolling during the day and night.
Why do you assume that? Most Walmart lots have cameras, so they might not think security checks are necessary. The only employees I've ever seen in a Walmart parking lot are the people collecting shopping carts.

On two different occasions in my life, I have tried to interest Walmart "security" in something untoward that was going on in their stores and both times I was rebuffed. Why? I guess because they weren't really security, they were managers with a lot of other responsibilities and they weren't interested in me (1) reporting a shop lifter and (2) reporting unattended children in a car in the parking lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events