Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2016, 11:12 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,620,819 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
A thief should lose his arm. I am glad so many posters on here agree with the righteous retribution outlined by Sharia law.
There's a difference.

Sharia law is a governmental punishment for a crime.

What happened here is that the victim tried to stop an armed robber from stealing his property, and in so doing, accidentally cut the guy's arm off. The goal was to stop the theft, not to cut off an arm.

No different than an armed robber running from a store with loot, and the owner follows, shooting, and shoots him. Not a crime. He has the right to prevent the theft of his property.

Armed robbers take notice: You may get harmed in your line of work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2016, 11:22 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,620,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asgardian View Post
Once the kid left the car and the driver drove away, he was no longer in harms way. Driver should have called the cops and not play cops.

The kid would have gotten what he deserved once arrested. The legal system is there for a reason to take care of scumbags.

The driver let his anger get the best of him and now faces attempted murder charges and I don't think he gets out of this easy.

The kid will still face his demons in court. Most likely jail time for him.
That the robber was no longer a physical threat is not the only concern. The victim had a right to prevent the theft of his property.

If the armed robber had dropped the shoes and cont'd to run, but the victim rammed him with his car, that would be a crime. But when the robber is running WITH your property, you have the right to go after your property and prevent the theft. At least in my state.

If someone breaks into your house and holds you at gunpoint while he starts taking yur possession, but then puts the gun away in his jacket and starts running out the front door, are you obliged to just stand there and watch him run away with your property because he is no longer pointing his gun at you? Nope. That is your property. You have a right to prevent him from stealing it. In my state.

I doubt any jury will convict him, anyway. He didn't intend to cut the arm off. He was trying to stop the criminal using what he had at his disposal - his car. A criminal assumes the risk of bodily harm, once he puts himself in that dangerous situation. One less criminal for society to worry about, I guess, since it'll be hard to continue his armed robbery vocation with only one arm (altho they're trying to re-attach it).

Old 02-17-2016, 06:38 AM

17,403 posts, read 12,008,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asgardian View Post
Once the kid left the car and the driver drove away, he was no longer in harms way. Driver should have called the cops and not play cops.

The kid would have gotten what he deserved once arrested. The legal system is there for a reason to take care of scumbags.

The driver let his anger get the best of him and now faces attempted murder charges and I don't think he gets out of this easy.

The kid will still face his demons in court. Most likely jail time for him.
So the cops are called, and maybe they catch this kid. And maybe the charges stick. He'd be out on the street, over and over, until the time he points a gun at someone and actually pulls the trigger.

Did the driver commit a crime? Yup. Would I have done what he did? Doubt it. Am I glad he decided to do what he did, and save someone down the road from being shot? You bet.

Old 02-17-2016, 06:38 AM

1,039 posts, read 1,163,109 times
Well at least he has the feet so he can wear the sneakers.

Old 02-17-2016, 08:04 AM

53 posts, read 34,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skins_fan82 View Post
Let's be honest here, folks. The driver obviously should not have tried to kill the kid (even though he deserved it). But for all you people in here judging the guy, have you actually tried to put yourself in his shoes?

Some scumbag puts a gun to your head, threatens your life, takes what is yours by force, and nearly steals everything that is near and dear to you?

I'm sure I'm one of the very few people in this thread who have actually been robbed at gunpoint. It was by far the most infuriating thing that ever happened to me in my 33 years, and I experienced a 30 second "black out rage" moment a few minutes after the guy ran off, having put a gun in my face. I wanted to kill him (seriously).

Again, big mistake on the driver's part, and I'm not here to make excuses for the guy. But as a victim of armed robbery myself, I can understand how, as he drove off, the RAGE built up in him which led to him doing what he did. You have to remember guys, common sense is out the window at this point. He was not thinking clearly, as it was mostly adrenaline and anger fueling his actions.

You should contact the defense attorney for the guy who ran over the kid and offer to be an example of what can happen to a person who has such an experience.

Old 02-17-2016, 11:05 AM

2,055 posts, read 1,453,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
There is video showing him run over the youth who was running away from the scene.

Suggest you review the video again. Kid perp was not running ... just casually meandering down the road and all of this appears to come from the same camera. Guess kid perp's attitude was FU since he seemed nonchalant ... until he saw the van. Methinks he had a 'Come to Jesus' moment right then.

El Nox

Old 02-17-2016, 12:24 PM

16,709 posts, read 19,459,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Nox View Post
Suggest you review the video again. Kid perp was not running ... just casually meandering down the road and all of this appears to come from the same camera. Guess kid perp's attitude was FU since he seemed nonchalant ... until he saw the van. Methinks he had a 'Come to Jesus' moment right then.

El Nox

The point is, the threat was going away from the victim.

Old 02-17-2016, 02:08 PM

638 posts, read 981,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
He has the right to prevent the theft of his property, though. Even if someone is running away from yu, you have the right to stop him from running away with your property. The driver had just been the victim of armed robbery. So he had to use what he had to stop the theft, and that was his car. He didn't intend to kill the guy or cut his arm off. But the armed robber assumed the risk of bodily harm when he committed armed robbery.

If an armed robber robs a store and is running out the door with his bounty, and the store owner follows and throws a can of spaghetti at him to try to get him to stop, but the can hits the robber in his head and knocks him unconscious....is that a crime? I don't think so. The store owner has the right to try to stop the robber from leaving with his property.

Throwing a spaghetti can is much less likely to be lethal than running someone over with a vehicle

Old 02-17-2016, 03:10 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,967,945 times
Based on the violence that breaks out in certain precincts every time new Air Jordan's are released, clearly we need more Air Jordan control.

Old 02-17-2016, 09:23 PM

4,768 posts, read 5,460,121 times
Good, I have no remorse for an idiot criminal. I celebrate whenever I hear about homeowners shooting home invaders also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events