Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2016, 10:48 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,876,922 times

Advertisements

I would have let the kid keep the Jordan's. The only reason to stop would be to drive over the kid a couple more times so he would never threaten anyone with a gun again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2016, 11:43 AM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,264,998 times
Where is the gun now? Do the cops have it? How many years is a 17-year-old gun criminal likely to get in Brooklyn? When he gets out of prison, what percentage is that likely to add to the overall rate of Brooklyn gun crime?

"
A world of its own, the streets where we played
The friends on every corner were the best we ever made
The backyards and the school yards
And the trees that watched us grow
The days of love when dinner time was all you had to know
Whenever I think of yesterday I close my eyes and see
That place just over the Brooklyn bridge
That will always be home to me
"

Until gun crime changed it from home to hell.

Old 02-15-2016, 12:31 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,918,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryptic View Post
The teenager decided to risk his life and limb by engaging in armed robbery. The bandit needs to go to prison as either a one armed or two armed bandit. As the driver was only trying to retrieve stolen property, I would find him innocent- unless it could be shown that the teen ager had tossed the shoes aside, and the driver had time to stop, but still ran him over.
Cool. Now the police can start running over shoplifters.

Old 02-15-2016, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eok View Post
You seem to be saying it would be illegal but the shoe owner would probably get away with it. Why would it be illegal?

What if the shoe owner drove near the gun criminal and started taking pictures, but the criminal made a sudden movement, which the shoe owner interpreted as an attempt to shoot the shoe owner? Would the shoe owner then have a legal right to run over the criminal to keep from being shot?
Running him over in that circumstance would probably be ruled self-defense.

You can't chase someone down and try to kill them when they are already trying to get away, no matter what they did in the first place.

Old 02-15-2016, 12:35 PM

2,288 posts, read 3,245,445 times
We cant allow vigilante justice, BUT, I've never had a gun held on me. I doubt losing the shoes had anything to do with the victims actions at that point. He had just survived possibly being murdered and was not in his right mind, with only seconds to decide what to do. I'd let him off.

If the poster who said the gun jammed is right, the driver probably saved one or more lives.

Old 02-15-2016, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWino View Post
Technically, pointing a firearm at someone who does not pose an imminent threat is against the law in NY, unless its some kind of Mexican stand off over Nikes.

There might be some consternation about chasing the thief but the victim would have been within his rights to open fire at least as far as I'm concerned.

Not the way he did it in the video! Dude accelerated and drove right into the guy, no way anyone can argue that is intent was to run the guy over. The tape don't lie.

Once the guy who got robbed became the aggressor by trying to run the thief over, the thief would have been within his rights to turn and shoot the driver as he approached with the speeding car.

Old 02-15-2016, 12:38 PM

3,658 posts, read 2,572,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just A Guy View Post
Cool. Now the police can start running over shoplifters.
It only took 12 pages for somebody to make an anti-cop post. Congrats!!!

Old 02-15-2016, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by key2success View Post
In Michigan my friend did the same thing. Somebody robbed him in his care, pistol whip him. After the robber got out and tried to run my friend mowed him down with the car...

Of course he was charged but he beat the case because in Michigan, you can use all means to stop a fleeing Felony suspect as long as you dont know the suspects identity, which is the case with this story posted
Interesting. So then, the police should be able to shoot fleeing felony suspects and this cop should not be charged, but celebrated for shooting a fleeing suspected felon.

Video shows cop shoot unarmed man in back - CNN Video

Old 02-15-2016, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by budlight View Post
It only took 12 pages for somebody to make an anti-cop post. Congrats!!!
No, I'm saying if people think citizens can do this, then they shouldn't complain when the police do the same thing.

Old 02-15-2016, 12:44 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,414,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just A Guy View Post
Once the guy who got robbed became the aggressor by trying to run the thief over, the thief would have been within his rights to turn and shoot the driver as he approached with the speeding car.
I doubt that. It would still have been part of the original crime, and the thief would likely have been charged. Might depend on the laws in that jurisdiction though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events