Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2016, 11:12 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,948,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonBeam33 View Post
And I think your responses here are an excellent example of why America is so damn screwed up - "You stole a thing for me, so you deserve to die." "You stole a thing so you deserve to have your arms and legs cut off."

That's some seriously f-ed up thinking, placing the value of a thing above someone's life, to be willing to commit murder over a thing. Murderous values don't make you smart, tough, cool, patriotic, manly, or any other stupid justification you can come up with.
Totally! People screw up, doesn't mean we should write them off forever. This kid learner that crime doesn't pay. He hopefully has many more years of life to benefit and make different choices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2016, 11:15 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,948,345 times
But seriously, the seller did not behave smartly. Who dies the exchange / meet in their car. That is not a public place. That is very risky. Why do that this wouldn't have happened if he used internet seller common sense. Meet in a visible public place. And bring a friend.

Old 02-14-2016, 11:18 AM

5,760 posts, read 11,564,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
Air Jordans are ugly shoes.
And so very, very ghetto.

Back from days in the 'hood, we used to call the area "the land of missing body parts." Because it is was so common.

Missing eye, leg(s), arms, fingers . . . this story sort of points to the sometimes why.

Old 02-14-2016, 11:27 AM

7,057 posts, read 9,105,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverPlatter View Post
This. Should have just called the police and reported the robbery. Vigilantism has no place here.
Disagree. The current system isn't working, ther scumbag would most likely have just got a little slap on the wrist and been back doing it again in short order.

If I were on the jury, I'd give the robbery victim a 'pass'. Stick a gun in someone's face and rip him off, you deserve whatever you get when your victim doesn't take kindly to it.

Old 02-14-2016, 11:31 AM

4,787 posts, read 11,785,086 times
Arm was reattached but doctors not sure if it was successful. Read down toward end of article.

Brooklyn teen tries to steal Air Jordans, loses arm in Craigslist robbery gone wrong: police | New York's PIX11 / WPIX-TV

Old 02-14-2016, 11:33 AM

7,057 posts, read 9,105,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Totally! People screw up, doesn't mean we should write them off forever. This kid learner that crime doesn't pay. He hopefully has many more years of life to benefit and make different choices.
Wrong. If the kid has graduated to sticking people up with a gun, he is already set firmly in his path and his prior experiences victimizing people have done nothing to correct his course. This is undoubtedly not his first criminal act, you don't just suddenly wake up one morning and say "Gee, I think today is a good day to get a gun and steal me some sneakers."

Old 02-14-2016, 11:54 AM

730 posts, read 1,662,281 times
Driver should have picked up the severed arm and hit him over the head with the wet end.

After all, the kid did say "I'd give my right arm to own a pair of those sneakers".

Sorry, couldn't help myself.

Old 02-14-2016, 12:03 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,262,237 times
My personal feeling on this story, is the teen really messed with the wrong guy.

I mean, he definitely intentionally ran him over, no doubt about that. He also ran down the street and pulled him off the bus. Which is a bit odd that later the teen walked to his house? How did the car-owner did a 360 from a rage with the car, to a pull off the bus....to a....okay, you walk home....and I'm done with messing with you and will just, what, walk with you along the way? Just go at your pace, wherever you are going, and I'll just chill about it all now?

Also, the driving over the kid with the car was pretty vicious. BUT, the guy was just robbed by GUNPOINT. When 10 seconds ago, you were almost shot and killed, your mind isn't exactly thinking calm rational thoughts on what to do next. Having a retaliation item like a large vehicle, and knowing the kid could shoot at you, as you drive towards him, it's not a huge leap that you'd suddenly irrationally feel threatened again, and gun that accelerator with the thought you are back at a 'do or die' scenario. It's not RIGHT, but my guess is the victim turned his car around, and suddenly realized he'd put himself in harm's way, and had to follow through on something. You can't turn your car around on him, and just look at him, or ask to talk to him about it.

Should he have turned the car around? Rationally, 'no'. But emotionally, maybe he said 'yes', which creates the next scenario, 'okay now what?'

Last edited by Tiger Beer; 02-14-2016 at 12:46 PM..

Old 02-14-2016, 01:34 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,584,477 times
One thing that blows me away is the kid has the presence of mind to run off without an arm and try to board a bus. The article even says he DEMANDED a MetroCard. So even after losing an arm in a robbery, he now thinks of demanding a free ride on a bus. I think if somebody had run me over and torn my arm off, I would have been lying on the ground right where I was hit in a state of shock!

Old 02-14-2016, 01:40 PM

24,592 posts, read 17,342,634 times
It would have been ironic if the teen had lost his foot instead then he couldn't wear the sneakers.

I hope he gets charged to the full extent of the law for (one) armed robbery and possessing an illegal gun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events