Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2016, 01:40 PM

37,158 posts, read 42,298,392 times

Advertisements

I think this story is being "spun" for clicks. Obviously you have do prep if you are going to take any organs and when you are in a condition where it can go either way then prep is going to be done, that's just a given and no reason to freak out. It does not mean people were going to jump the gun and start harvesting organs while she was alive and apparently nobody ever declared her "brain dead" either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2016, 01:51 PM

3,016 posts, read 3,917,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marigolds6 View Post
They were prepping her for organ donation because her heart stopped.
It's like, in the midst of my some what active and occasionally dangerous life, in the event of any type of accident that would result in me being in a hospital. . . . .

If for some reason my heart stops: I do not want anyone 'prepping' me for anything just minutes later.

And important to note. Although organs cannot be sold in the traditional definition of the word 'sold' - doctors that perform transplants make alot of money not via an organ sale, but for their services. No money made with the organs per se, but plenty of money made on the services / transplant provided. And they need organs to do it.

Old 02-23-2016, 01:53 PM

22,062 posts, read 13,093,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I think this story is being "spun" for clicks. Obviously you have do prep if you are going to take any organs and when you are in a condition where it can go either way then prep is going to be done, that's just a given and no reason to freak out. It does not mean people were going to jump the gun and start harvesting organs while she was alive and apparently nobody ever declared her "brain dead" either.
Denial: it's not just a river in Egypt!

Old 02-23-2016, 03:49 PM

10,057 posts, read 18,123,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Whatever happened to the old-fashioned wake, where relatives sat with the bodies for at least 24 hours just to make sure they were really gone? Oh, yeah; organ harvests. There are plenty of examples in the literature about people "waking up" in morgues, on autopsy tables, etc. Oops!
"Plenty of examples in the literature"? Do you mean academic literature (not, say, The National Enquirer)? Then give us some citations, please.

Old 02-23-2016, 03:54 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,060,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Well, that's true, but kind of beside the point... Are we now going to decide who's "worth" trying to save and who isn't based on severity of injury (or anything else)?

not my point at all.....

Old 02-24-2016, 01:01 AM

2,189 posts, read 1,388,830 times
Always carry an organ donation refusal card.

Quote:
her lips and tongue were said to have moved moments before the transplant physician prepared to cleave her chest in two and begin extracting her vital organs.

At this point, one would think the transplant physician would have called for immediate aid for the donor, but instead, he ordered the attending nurse to administer a powerful sedative, so he could continue his mission, which was obviously to get at Burn's organs. The nurse complied
Think you don't need an organ donor opt-out card? Think again -- the Burns case

Old 02-24-2016, 01:48 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,524,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadgates View Post
This girl was one of the Uber shooting victims and was minutes from having her organs harvested when she finally responded to a question with a thumbs up.

Makes you wonder...

http://nypost.com/2016/02/22/girl-d...ting-gives-thumbs-up-before-organs-harvested/
Makes you wonder about journalism. She was not "Minutes from having her organs harvested". Her parents were considering it IF she was declared dead, which she never was. Stupid NY Post.

Old 02-24-2016, 01:48 AM

7,646 posts, read 9,972,851 times
I think she probably would have woken up when they started cutting. I don't think they use anesthesia on cadavers.

Hey! Gimme my liver back!!!

Glad she will survive. Hope they hang the shooter.

Old 02-24-2016, 01:51 AM

9,479 posts, read 10,834,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
I think she probably would have woken up when they started cutting. I don't think they use anesthesia on cadavers.

Hey! Gimme my liver back!!!

Glad she will survive. Hope they hang the shooter.

They will not hang the shooter, that state is one of those liberal blue state kind of places. They don't really punish the criminals that severely, after all that would be "cruel".

Old 02-24-2016, 05:40 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,429,682 times
According to the link on what is "brain dead" they do certain checks. So it seems plausible that during one of those checks she showed signs of life. So it happened as it was supposed to - they did the check and she was alive. They hadn't started harvesting because they had to do the check first. Drama.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events