Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2016, 09:25 PM

1,774 posts, read 1,242,891 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
But it's OK to glamorize bulimia, cocaine use, smoking cigarettes, and eating cotton balls (to fill the stomach without ingesting calories)? Those are some of the things models do today to maintain the stick-think physique demanded by their industry.
wow. i have never seen anyone glamorize these things.

Old 02-26-2016, 09:45 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,510,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachie123 View Post
i think this is part of the problem as i see it. people calling someone who is overweight, "curvy". because curvy sounds good. because they are actually shaped with, well, curves. she is still overweight even if her "fat" (i hate to say fat, it makes it sound mean) is shaped and placed in a visually pleasant way.

i wouldn't call her obese. but i don't know what the criteria is for what is considered medically obese.
Sure, of course some people stretch the definition of "curvy", just like many people love to use the term "moderation" in their diet which is often anything but. I agree. I've seen some obese people call themselves simply curvy. They are entitled to call themselves what they want but I believe you, myself, and certainly the data shows it's most unhealthy in many ways. And I don't think people should be fooling themselves when they are overweight/obese by several metrics and say they are not but again, that's their game, I can't control their view of themselves nor should I. The river of denial is a long one for some.

In regards to "curvy" and the science behind what most men prefer, curvy sure doesn't look fat to me in the metrics used in the scientific studies. Again, that url I posted up a bit:

Men Prefer Curves, Not Skinny - Living Fit

Open up the url and look at the pics of woman and what the majority of men preferred in the study. She is by no means overweight or obese to my eyes, just a bit....curvy. At least this is the definition of it according to science, not the subjective view of a woman who's obese by every scientific measure and thinking she's just "curvy" which is what I think you're saying here.

Old 02-26-2016, 11:08 PM

22,704 posts, read 24,769,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
I'll take that full figure model over some size 1 stick figure.

You mean the obese model.........have at it!

Old 02-26-2016, 11:13 PM

22,704 posts, read 24,769,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowtired14 View Post
Ashley Graham is hardly what I'd call "fat", she's a big girl but pretty nicely proportioned. Could she lose some weight? Sure she could, if that's what she wanted to do. Would she get more modeling jobs? Maybe, then she'd be among many aspiring models, her extra curves is what makes her unique and she's using them to enjoy some of the fame that Tiegs enjoyed in her career.

I'd be willing to bet she is well over 30% bodyfat.

Old 02-27-2016, 03:09 AM

769 posts, read 724,016 times
Omg! How hypocritical is Tiegs! She knows, better than most how unhealthy those super skinny models are. I had a friend who was a female trainer/body builder. She entered & won 1 body building contest & said never again. The diet she had to follow was one of the worst for her health. She said it put her at risk for permanent organ damage.

35" or less? One size fits all is not a reality. Women come in all heights & proportions & change over the course of her lifetime. Diversity? Apparently not when it comes to this subject.

Old 02-27-2016, 03:18 AM

15,599 posts, read 10,608,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek64 View Post
Former model Cheryl Tiegs blasts SI full-figured swimsuit model - UPI.com

""I don't like that we're talking about full-figured women because it's glamorizing them because your waist should be smaller than 35" inches, Tiegs said at the 13th annual Global Green USA Pre-Oscar Party. "That's what Dr. Oz said, and I'm sticking to it. I don't think it's healthy. Her face is beautiful. Beautiful. But I don't think it's healthy in the long run.""

Is this another case of our "everyone is a winner!" society, putting someone on the cover that many would call overweight?
Except this wasn't about glamorizing all full figured women, it's about one woman. Ashley Graham is an attractive woman who happens to be big. Most full figured women aren't, so kudos to her.

Old 02-27-2016, 03:22 AM

2,767 posts, read 1,594,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNansea View Post
Omg! How hypocritical is Tiegs!
I dunno. How much?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNansea View Post
She knows, better than most how unhealthy those super skinny models are.
But, did Tiegs say that those super skinny models were healthy?

Maybe my English is rusty? I understood her comment as simply opining that being overweight/fat is not healthy in the long term.

Where is the hypocrisy?

Old 02-27-2016, 03:45 AM

5,198 posts, read 5,302,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salmonburgher View Post
I dunno. How much?

But, did Tiegs say that those super skinny models were healthy?

Maybe my English is rusty? I understood her comment as simply opining that being overweight/fat is not healthy in the long term.

Where is the hypocrisy?
There isn.t any. People are reaching for a reason to discredit her and are putting words in her mouth.

Old 02-27-2016, 03:55 AM

8,869 posts, read 16,384,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachie123 View Post
wow. i have never seen anyone glamorize these things.
But Americans glamorize the PEOPLE who DO THEM. So what's the difference?

Women who want to be models and actresses are usually naturally slim, but they put their bodies through a lot of unnatural stuff to get as thin as their employers want them to be. You know Charlize Theron, the award-winning actress? She says she has lost movie roles because the director thought she was "too fat."

I'm not saying obesity is healthy, but neither is being underweight. Some of these same women undergo surgery to get fake breasts, fake butts, fake teeth, fake lips, etc., etc. And why do they need those things? Because their thin bodies don't provide them with natural breasts or derrieres due to a lack of fat cells. Women with tiny waists and huge breasts are VERY rare in the population. Models often have some of their ribs removed to make their midsections narrower.

Bulimics damage or lose their teeth due to excess stomach acids. Hair thins from processing added to a lack of fat in their diets. Skin becomes dry, cuticles crack, and they cease menstruating once their calorie intake drops to a certain level. Even before a person who fails to intake enough food looks too thin, they are already damaging their heart and their bones and are often anemic.

The public doesn't notice what's going on inside the bodies of very thin women. Models and actresses aren't going to talk about it because it's decidedly unattractive. And they want to be considered as having "natural beauty."

Old 02-27-2016, 06:21 AM

910 posts, read 1,092,712 times
The whole question of beauty is based on lots of things, cultural preference being a large factor.

My problem with the super thin crowd is that they think that their idea of beauty is universal, when in fact it isn't. In Nordic countries men prefer women who are tall, have large hips, and large breasts. In South America men prefer women who are short, have large butts and large breasts. There is no one size fits all approach. I personally have never dated a skinny woman. I prefer women who are soft, curvy, and full figured, my wife fits that description. I guess I have been ahead of the trend. I however have a friend who prefers women to be short, and as thin as possible. To each their own.

As far as health is concerned, my larger grandmother outlived my skinny grandmother by 14 years and had less health problems in the end. I think that genetics and life choices make a far greater impact on your health, as apposed to how much you weigh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events