Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2016, 01:32 PM

2,081 posts, read 5,618,176 times

Advertisements

Maybe she is irritated because she starved herself all this time and now people see "pretty" in a different way. Maybe she just needs a pizza.

Old 02-26-2016, 01:33 PM

1,166 posts, read 759,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leilaniguy View Post
Maybe she is irritated because she starved herself all this time and now people see "pretty" in a different way. Maybe she just needs a pizza.

And a time machine. This is the aging model version of shouting "get off my lawn" at the young whippersnappers.

Old 02-26-2016, 01:39 PM

298 posts, read 272,601 times
I don't get the whole plus size model thing. You can do plus size modeling for well, fat ladies. But to make it mainstream and shout it's the "new normal" and it's "hot." Ridiculous. Normal is when your weight is proportional to your height. I agree with Tiegs. I'm not into the whole anorexic look with the clavicle and hip bones sticking out either but that cow Ashley Graham, she's a COW.Hog.No way. In school these were the people who got made fun of and teased, even in college. At every job I've had there was always the token "fat guy" or "fat woman" that's kind of a reject. It doesn't look healthy. The clothes don't fit nicely. It's not attractive. I'm speaking for me and the people I know.Those who think it's cool to look like a slob they can live that way.

Old 02-26-2016, 01:44 PM

9,587 posts, read 5,878,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erauso1592 View Post
I don't get the whole plus size model thing. You can do plus size modeling for well, fat ladies. But to make it mainstream and shout it's the "new normal" and it's "hot." Ridiculous. Normal is when your weight is proportional to your height. I agree with Tiegs. I'm not into the whole anorexic look with the clavicle and hip bones sticking out either but that cow Ashley Graham, she's a COW.Hog.No way. In school these were the people who got made fun of and teased, even in college. At every job I've had there was always the token "fat guy" or "fat woman" that's kind of a reject. It doesn't look healthy. The clothes don't fit nicely. It's not attractive. I'm speaking for me and the people I know.Those who think it's cool to look like a slob they can live that way.

That young woman is hardly a "cow." She's a beautiful woman with a little more meat on her bones. Beauty DOES come in all shapes, sizes, and colors. I say that a woman who's always been slim, btw.

Old 02-26-2016, 01:55 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,453,979 times
Quote:
Calling her a cow or hog does not make her one. But it does chip away at the credibility of your argument.
Perhaps you were among those that were doing the teasing of the 'fat' kids in school, since they seem less than perfect to you.

Old 02-26-2016, 02:18 PM

1,770 posts, read 1,240,929 times
first of all...cheryl was asked the question at some red carpet event. this was not her coming out and stating her opinion on the matter out of the blue. second, i think cheryl looks fine. she is 68 years old. she is aging. it happens. what do people expect? if she looked really great, people would be accusing her of having too much plastic surgery and saying she should grow old gracefully. you can't win. (having said that...her teeth do look a mess. )

but i do agree with her in that we should not be normalizing overweight bodies in anyone. it is not normal to be overweight as that model is on the sports illustrated cover. she is just flat out overweight. she is pretty and she looks good for an overweight person. but i don't like how this is being touted as being ok and normal. it's not. stick thin is not good either and it is nice to get away from the models who look like they haven't eaten in days. (i used to be super skinny. too skinny. i didn't try to be skinny, but i was and i got a lot of flack for it. i can't tell you how many people told me to eat a cheeseburger over the years. looking back i think i had some sort anorexia going on and i would be the first to tell you i did not look good at all. so it wasn't an issue of i wanted to be so thin. i was unhappy. sorry...i digress.)

but going too far over to the other side and now saying that being overweight is good? i just cannot get on this overweight is sexy and healthy and ok bandwagon.

Old 02-26-2016, 02:33 PM

8,518 posts, read 3,783,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Augiec View Post
I'm worried that people are so fed up with trying to live healthy lives in our society that we're accepting of some marketing person's appeal to the lowest common denominator. Ashley Graham is pretty, but let's face, she's overweight. That shouldn't be accepted as "normal" or "healthy." I refuse to play that game and I won't encourage my children to eat what they want or stay in and play video games instead of going outside all in the spirit of "everyone should be accepted."

Don't get me wrong, I won't teach my kids to be rude or call people names, but we can't change the definition of healthy just because it's harder to achieve in our society.
I can't rep you enough.... Sir/mam

Old 02-26-2016, 02:44 PM

1,838 posts, read 2,031,118 times
Quote:
What sort of college did you go to where they made fun of people because of how they looked? The college of arrested development?

Old 02-26-2016, 03:01 PM
bjh

60,340 posts, read 30,550,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leilaniguy View Post
Or a cheeseburger and a good cosmetician.

Old 02-26-2016, 03:02 PM

2,081 posts, read 5,618,176 times
Quote:
And how about you, sport. How do you look naked in a mirror? Bronzed god?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events