Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2016, 11:30 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,965,968 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anika783 View Post
I think it's a tragedy, but I don't find the mother at fault. I think it's reasonable to expect that one's house won't burn down on any given night. For the people who say a toddler should not be left alone, that would only be a reasonable expectation if there were convenient 24/7 free childcare facilities available where the mother could've left her toddler.
We would not need daycares if these moms thought about their children in the first place. Loving moms and parents find safe places for their children or they stay home. Why is it important for the mom to party and not make sure her child is in a safe environment?

Like this story WTH.......why even be a mom and make the rest of us have to put up with poor raising?

Girl, 3, tells police she ‘needs a beer’ as she waits for child services | fox4kc.com#
A mother arrested and charged after police say she left her young daughter to wander alone has been released from jail. Shauna Bennett, 42, was arrested over the weekend and charged with child abandonment and endangerment.
Police found her three-year-old daughter in the apartment by herself on Saturday. They say the girl had on dirty clothes and was covered in bug bites.
reported that the while police waited with the child for Child Protective Services to arrive, the girl told police, ‘I’m hungry’ several times and stated ‘I need a beer.’

We might be able to look over the mom was working and left the child home alone, although this is a dangerous plan.... but the child asked for a "beer" at 3 yrs old!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2016, 12:34 PM
Status: "It's WARY, or LEERY (weary means tired)" (set 3 days ago)

16,092 posts, read 21,222,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
I don't see it as neglect. Neglect as a verb is fail to care for properly; not pay proper attention to; disregard; fail to do something. Neglect in a legal sense is an omission to do or perform some work, duty, or act. I can maybe see the neglect in the standard sense, not the legal sense however.

The woman had a duty to care for her child and keep her safe from harm to the best of her ability, she failed to do that. How is that not neglect? Caring for a child properly means not leaving them alone until they are of an age to be able to take care of their own basic needs.

Old 03-06-2016, 05:13 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,961,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post

The woman had a duty to care for her child and keep her safe from harm to the best of her ability, she failed to do that. How is that not neglect? Caring for a child properly means not leaving them alone until they are of an age to be able to take care of their own basic needs.
But here's the question, is it forseeable that a fire can happen? Of course there is the realm of possibilities but it can happen at anytime. A baby could also be struck by lightning during bathtime too. However apprently in a general sense it is though only a few states truly mandate a youngest age. When Can You Leave a Child Home Alone? - FindLaw The issues I've had are: one, the hardline view people have of forced sterilization; two, the fact this could have easily happened while the mother or a sitter was asleep and the same outcome could have happened; and three the ocupation. If the two year old would have died despite no caretaker due to a nap, nobody would bat an eyelash at it but the parent is not working (and her occupation) all of a sudden makes it bash thread. I doubt we'd have this same sensationalized news about some retail worker or a stock broker doing this if they couldn't find a sitter but a stripper all of a sudden makes it OK? The internet disgusts me.

Old 03-06-2016, 05:30 PM
Status: "It's WARY, or LEERY (weary means tired)" (set 3 days ago)

16,092 posts, read 21,222,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
But here's the question, is it forseeable that a fire can happen? Of course there is the realm of possibilities but it can happen at anytime. A baby could also be struck by lightning during bathtime too. However apprently in a general sense it is though only a few states truly mandate a youngest age. When Can You Leave a Child Home Alone? - FindLaw The issues I've had are: one, the hardline view people have of forced sterilization; two, the fact this could have easily happened while the mother or a sitter was asleep and the same outcome could have happened; and three the ocupation. If the two year old would have died despite no caretaker due to a nap, nobody would bat an eyelash at it but the parent is not working (and her occupation) all of a sudden makes it bash thread. I doubt we'd have this same sensationalized news about some retail worker or a stock broker doing this if they couldn't find a sitter but a stripper all of a sudden makes it OK? The internet disgusts me.
No, I don't think people are down on this because of her job, that's just incidental, used to draw people in. People would be just as outraged had a waitress or a lawyer done the same.
Of course it 's not foreseeable that a fire could happen or lightning could strike or any of the other tragedies that are possible. The difference is that a negative outcome is more likely to happen to a child left alone, a child without the ability to recognize or deal with a potentially dangerous situation.
I don't understand the part I bolded, are you saying people wouldn't be as upset if this had happened while the child was home alone taking a nap while the mother worked? You think they are upset because of the partying rather than the fact that the child was alone, that THAT is what makes a difference? People are angry that the toddler was left alone, the fact that she was left alone for a stupid, selfish reason simply compounds the anger, it isn't the reason for the anger.

Old 03-06-2016, 07:11 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,961,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
(1)No, I don't think people are down on this because of her job, that's just incidental, used to draw people in. People would be just as outraged had a waitress or a lawyer done the same.
(2)Of course it 's not foreseeable that a fire could happen or lightning could strike or any of the other tragedies that are possible. The difference is that a negative outcome is more likely to happen to a child left alone, a child without the ability to recognize or deal with a potentially dangerous situation.
(3)I don't understand the part I bolded, are you saying people wouldn't be as upset if this had happened while the child was home alone taking a nap while the mother worked? You think they are upset because of the partying rather than the fact that the child was alone, that THAT is what makes a difference? People are angry that the toddler was left alone, the fact that she was left alone for a stupid, selfish reason simply compounds the anger, it isn't the reason for the anger.
I think it may draw people in but I honestly don't think "waitress working while 2 year old dies in fire" or "lawyer at court case while 2 year old dies in apartment blaze" would draw the controversy as the title or even "college student out while 2 year old burns to death" would. We all know this. The title is sensationalized and so are the disgusting responses in this thread asking for sterilization of the stripper and lifetime in prison.

Of course a child doesn't know what is going on but you'd think some neighbor would double check too if possible (I realize flames at the door or another door is a bad idea entirely.)

The point I tried to state maybe not to the best of my ability was a caretaker being asleep while the baby was there. Say I was watching a kid and fell asleep when the child was asleep and the fire happened or worse CO poisoning yet I was unable to help the kid and somehow I survived. That's what I meant.

Old 03-06-2016, 07:17 PM

964 posts, read 997,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariez149 View Post
Stripper Arrested For Child Endangerment When Daughter Dies In Fire | Bossip

What a scum bag and horrid mother, if it were up to me I'd put her in a building, tie her up, and watch her burn to death!
No, you wouldn't. Jail is where she belongs, and that's where she'll end up.

Old 03-06-2016, 07:36 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,968,046 times
These incidents have really nothing to do with her occupation and everything to do with leaving young children at home.

Here are more examples:
HPD: Toddler dies of burns after being left home alone with siblings

This one is local for me.

Quote:
She was at home with her three older siblings – two of them 3 years old and the other 5.

“I just need to know what happened? What really happened?” Jessie Braden, great-uncle of victim, said. “So something like this don’t happen no more.”

Neighbors say it’s not uncommon to see the toddler and her siblings unsupervised.

“With just a Pamper on, no shirt, no shoes or nothing,” Miranda Oneil Johnson, a neighbor, said. “Like, running around. I’m like, 'Where is the momma or the daddy?'”

Officers first on scene say the mother told them she was at work during the accident that claimed her baby’s life.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/1...ations_n_21642

This one was a daycare provider who left the children at home while she went to the store.

Quote:
HOUSTON — Prosecutors on Monday asked a jury to sentence a Texas woman convicted of murder after a fire at her home day care killed four children to life in prison, arguing she doomed the children she was responsible for when she left them alone to go shopping before the deadly blaze broke out.

Prosecutors said the February 2011 fire that killed Elias started after Tata, 24, left a group of children alone with a pan of oil cooking on a hot stove while she went shopping at a nearby Target store. Along with the four children who died, three were injured in the Houston home day care fire.
Colorado boy, 3, dies at home alone

Quote:
Leaving food, juice and a movie playing for her son, she went to work at a supermarket last Wedsnesday and then spent the night with her boyfriend.
Megan McKeon, 24, allegedly left Austin Davis in their Steamboat Springs campground cabin overnight with food, juice and a movie playing, while she spent the night with her boyfriend.

It was around the 20th time she'd abandoned the youngster in such conditions.
Kids die in house fire while mother gets hair done - CNN.com

Quote:
Two children, left alone in their Louisiana home, were killed in a house fire while their mother was out getting her hair styled at a salon, authorities said.

Fire officials say they are still piecing together what happened at the home in Bastrop on Monday evening. But "one thing is certain," said Brant Thompson, state fire marshal deputy chief. "Ciarria Johnson ... left her children unattended for hours as she was having her hair styled."

The victims are 4-year-old Ta'shae Thompson Johnson and her 3-year-old brother, Clifton Thompson Johnson.
Babysitter Arrested After Leaving 4 Children Home Alone to go to Popeyes

And if you leave them with a babysitter be sure that she won't leave them alone either. In this case the oldest was a special needs child so it is doubtful that s/he could supervise the younger ones.

Quote:
According to a report, deputies received a 911 hang up call originating at 2133 Hoyt Drive sometime Tuesday. Responding deputies located four children ages 4,5,7 and 9 home alone at the residence. The 9-year-old child was a special needs child, according to the affidavit.

The children told the investigating deputy that their mother was at work and provided a phone number to contact her. The children’s mother told the deputy that she left her children in the care of Bracken before going to work. While on the phone with the mother, Bracken arrived back at the home and immediately started yelling at the children.
Boy Left Home Alone Killed by Sister's Pit Bulls

Always leave them alone with a dog.

Quote:
While the 9-year-old was visiting Griffin-Heady in Yuba County over the weekend, he was killed by her dogs. Authorities say Griffin-Heady, 24, left Tyler in her trailer with her three pit bulls—next door to where two of his siblings lived with their adoptive parents—while she went to work on Sunday and returned hours later to find him unresponsive, per Fox40. He was pronounced dead at a nearby hospital; authorities say he died of multiple dog bites, per ABC10. "I failed him, whether it's my fault, my dogs' fault, whoever's fault," Griffin-Heady says. "I wanted to protect him, and I wanted to give him an amazing life."

Old 04-05-2016, 05:28 PM

17,428 posts, read 22,186,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by torontocheeka View Post
Oh, I guess that's why only 27% of those babies go on to get adopted, and the rest get trapped in the system and end up becoming social problems themselves. That's the "lineup of folks" problem that they are waiting. They should look to older kids.
Do you have a link for the 27% statistic? Seems low.....

Old 04-05-2016, 05:29 PM

1,504 posts, read 853,969 times
bAD BAD BAD WOMAN
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events