Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2016, 07:43 AM

11,413 posts, read 7,865,350 times

Advertisements

Why didn't anyone (friends, relatives) report these fools? The child was sick for more than 2 weeks and I'm sure SOMEONE other than the idiot parents knew he wasn't receiving proper medical care. This is an example of when child services stepping in would have been a good thing. The child may have recovered if someone took the time to make a phone call.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2016, 07:53 AM

35,844 posts, read 21,244,129 times
self absorbed

Old 03-10-2016, 08:19 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,453,927 times
What kills me is how anti-vaxers INSIST almost violently that they are right and we are all sheep.

Old 03-10-2016, 08:49 AM

38,857 posts, read 25,650,496 times
Default Canadian Couple treats son for Menegitis with Maple syrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Child dies
Of course...

Old 03-10-2016, 09:07 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,854,953 times
Whack job idiots. I hope they're prosecuted. They're right up there with the parents of a ten year old boy I watched die at work from an asthma attack. The parents ran out of his medication and he kept telling them that he couldn't breath. Evidently they thought that hoisting beer at a party was more important then their son's well being, until it was too late.

I wonder if those misguided parents of that baby thought they could cure their son and boost profits for their business? I hope they lose everything now. Morons.

Old 03-10-2016, 09:08 AM

26,661 posts, read 13,844,438 times
If you dig a little deeper beyond the sensationalized articles, you'll learn that the boy did not show any signs of meningitis. He didn't have a fever but rather had a couple of days of what the parents describe to be like a mild flu and then a couple of days of feeling fine, followed by a couple of days of mild flu and days of feeling fine. The couple had a friend who is a nurse come and check out their son, including checking his breathing, lungs, heart rate, etc. and this nurse said he seemed fine.

By all accounts, the illness did not seem that serious. Then one day the boy went to sleep for a nap. The father noticed his breathing pattern seemed off so he called his wife to come home. She did and they called 911. The boy stopped breathing. The parents performed CPR and started driving to the hospital hoping to be intercepted by an ambulance on the way. The ambulance that intercepted them was not fully equipped and the boy went a long time without breathing. It was also said that another ambulance that was more equipped and was closer to the family's home had been available but had not received the call. Mistakes were made.

Eight months after the child's death the family received the results of the autopsy and the results were not definitive but rather based on opinion. There is no evidence that this illness could have been prevented by the hib vaccine, even though that is how it is being portrayed. The family also denies the maple syrup treatment claims that seem to be making headlines all over the internet.

I find it disgusting that so many media outlets have jumped on this story without doing even the slightest bit of investigation and passing it off as fact. Lazy! This couple is now standing trial for the death of their child who they loved and cared for and may serve jail time and lose custody of their other children.

How many parents out there have taken and watch and see approach to a seemingly mild illness? Many. This is a sad situation and prosecuting parents in an instance like this is beyond inappropriate. It's downright dangerous. When you see such sensationalized articles it's always a safe bet to assume that there is more to the story. Dig deeper and you may be surprised at the information that you find.

Old 03-10-2016, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
Their Facebook posts are so disturbing! Whining about being sleep deprived, car problems, this situation costing them $2000 a day, etc. I didn't read everything, of course, but I did not not see anything about missing their sweet little boy, or remorse for their deadly mistake, or anything other than cluelessness and selfishness.

You didn't read far enough then. Their boy died four years ago. They grieved.

Old 03-10-2016, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
Why didn't anyone (friends, relatives) report these fools? The child was sick for more than 2 weeks and I'm sure SOMEONE other than the idiot parents knew he wasn't receiving proper medical care. This is an example of when child services stepping in would have been a good thing. The child may have recovered if someone took the time to make a phone call.

They asked their friend, who is a nurse to come by and check out their boy. Their friend checked his lungs, vitals, etc. and said that he seemed fine. The illness did not appear to be serious, just long lasting (2 weeks approx.). The parents were taking a watch and see approach to it because it was seemingly mild. Many parents do this when their kids are sick.

Old 03-10-2016, 10:18 AM

12,883 posts, read 14,067,816 times
^ Two weeks is a while for a kid to have on and off flu symptoms. Perhaps they should have taken him to a doctor. The "on and off" thing is what would worry me.

Old 03-10-2016, 10:26 AM

11,413 posts, read 7,865,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
They asked their friend, who is a nurse to come by and check out their boy. Their friend checked his lungs, vitals, etc. and said that he seemed fine. The illness did not appear to be serious, just long lasting (2 weeks approx.). The parents were taking a watch and see approach to it because it was seemingly mild. Many parents do this when their kids are sick.
Wait and see is a few days. Maybe be even a week. More than that anyone with any sense would take a young child to a doctor. A nurse is not a doctor nor did she draw blood for testing or do much of anything proactive. Kids are sometimes way sicker than they might appear. Not having a child seen by a doctor when they've been sick for TWO weeks is just plain wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events