Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2016, 07:27 AM

11,109 posts, read 9,879,671 times

Advertisements

Canadian Couple Treats Illness with Maple Syrup Therapy

Somewhere, an Onion editor is smacking himself on the forehead and saying "Why didn't I think of that? That's gold!".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2016, 07:35 AM

13,753 posts, read 13,419,581 times
Anti-vax really has nothing to do with the issue at hand, does it? Meningitis doesn't have a vaccine, does it?
Okay, duh, I just read another post above. (somehow my children survived)

Very tragic for the child.

Old 03-13-2016, 02:30 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,612,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
They asked their friend, who is a nurse to come by and check out their boy. Their friend checked his lungs, vitals, etc. and said that he seemed fine. The illness did not appear to be serious, just long lasting (2 weeks approx.). The parents were taking a watch and see approach to it because it was seemingly mild. Many parents do this when their kids are sick.
Uh huh, and perhaps if the parents were actually concerned, they should've taken their son to a DOCTOR instead of relying on their friend the nurse.

Old 03-13-2016, 02:34 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,612,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
Isn't our society amazing...
If they had killed the kid prior to birth, it would have been just fine, no problem, just a woman doing what she thinks best with HER body.
BUT, since the kid was five years old, and the parents didn't do what SOCIETY thinks they should have done, when SOCIETY thinks they should have done it, it means jail time.
This post is so devoid of any sense, reason or logic that I believe it wins worst post of the internet.

Old 03-13-2016, 03:22 PM

2,571 posts, read 1,659,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
Isn't our society amazing...
If they had killed the kid prior to birth, it would have been just fine, no problem, just a woman doing what she thinks best with HER body.
BUT, since the kid was five years old, and the parents didn't do what SOCIETY thinks they should have done, when SOCIETY thinks they should have done it, it means jail time.
What does aborting a fetus which is not capable of existing outside the uterus have to do with a living, breathing 5 year old child dying for lack of medical treatment?

Old 03-14-2016, 09:33 AM

9,153 posts, read 9,551,768 times
They should just move to Idaho. A community not far from Boise has a fairly significant population of a religion (Pentecostal maybe?) that believes in treating with nothing but prayer. An ex-member took a reporter through their graveyard pointing out all the graves of kids under 10. She knew several who had died from minor problems that would have taken one doctor's visit to cure.

And that's fine in Idaho. Religious freedom is king even if if means letting children die of minor illnesses. Not one of those kids' deaths were even investigated according to the ex-member, let alone prosecuted.

Old 03-14-2016, 12:59 PM

37,336 posts, read 41,575,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LillyLillyLilly View Post
They should just move to Idaho. A community not far from Boise has a fairly significant population of a religion (Pentecostal maybe?) that believes in treating with nothing but prayer. An ex-member took a reporter through their graveyard pointing out all the graves of kids under 10. She knew several who had died from minor problems that would have taken one doctor's visit to cure.

And that's fine in Idaho. Religious freedom is king even if if means letting children die of minor illnesses. Not one of those kids' deaths were even investigated according to the ex-member, let alone prosecuted.
I had no idea.

Faith Healing a Parental Right in Idaho | Al Jazeera America

How can this not be a violation of the civil rights of the child?

Old 03-14-2016, 11:37 PM

14,489 posts, read 14,463,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
This isn't a vaccination issue. The issue that is playing out in the Canadian court has to do with the couple not seeking medical help soon enough. If the boy had bacterial meningitis he could have been treated via antibiotics. Based on the evidence that has come out in he courtroom, they knew that he may have had meningitis due to his body being too stiff to put into his car seat as well as the advice of their nurse friend that he may have it, as well as them mentioning it to the naturopath who also advised them to seek medical care. Based on that, it does appear that they were aware that meningitis was likely and should have acted much sooner in getting him care. There is no way to know if he would have lived or died if that had happened. We'll see what happens as far as their trial goes. I do think they bear some culpability although I don't think that five years in prison is warranted or serves any real purpose.
You are talking about the issue of causation. There is a way to know--at least to a probability. The government has to have an expert witness (generally a physician) testify that if the child had received medical treatment in a timely fashion that in all probability that he would have survived. I can pretty much guarantee you that is a standard part of such a case.

Is it possible to know to an "absolute certainty". No, but we don't know that even our own survival on a day-to-day basis is an "absolute certainty".

If I were too dumb to figure it out on my own beforehand, I simply cannot imagine ignoring the advice of a health care professional to take a sick child to the doctor.

Old 03-19-2016, 09:38 AM

90,295 posts, read 121,154,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
What gets me the most about the anti vax crowd is that vaccinations are the aleopathic ( traditional medicine ) physicians' singular journey into homeopathic medicine ( activating the immune system ) and it was such a huge success that we actually wiped out the scourge that was small pox.

And now people want to bring back meningitis, varicella, the various measles and pox diseases that defined the dark ages to avoid a little thimerosol? Really?
There is no thimerosal in any routine childhood vaccine, hasn't been for 15 years. The live virus vaccines (MMR, Chickenpox, rotavirus) never had it. That's one less thing to worry about.

Old 04-27-2016, 12:10 AM

37,336 posts, read 41,575,825 times
Default Update

"A packed Lethbridge, Alta., courtroom erupted with emotion on Tuesday afternoon, after two parents accused of letting their son die from bacterial meningitis were found guilty.

David Stephan, 32, and Collet Stephan, 36, were charged a year after their nearly 19-month-old son Ezekiel died in March 2012, under Section 215 of the Criminal Code which deals with 'failing to provide the necessaries of life.' "

Alberta parents convicted in toddler's meningitis death - Calgary - CBC News
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events