Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2016, 03:26 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,916,784 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydive Outlaw View Post
Can I get one that is set up to only jam Obama phones. I'm getting tired of people talking on those (acting like they have alot going on in their lives) when they are in line buying steak, ribs and salmon with their EBT (eatin' better today) cards.
What is an Obama phone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iaskwhy View Post
How is a cell phone conversation any worse than any other conversation?
They are frequently held at the top of the caller's lungs. There's a woman in a coffee shop I frequent. I don't think she has any idea HOW EFFING LOUD SHE TALKS WHEN SHE'S ON THE PHONE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
(4) People who act like getting 42 cents of change back on a $3.58 item is akin to having your fingers chopped off, and they INSIST on sifting through their purse, pockets, wallets, glove box, trunk, socks, backpack, or even their underwear practically searching for that 58 cents because oh my goodness getting change back is so HORRIBLE!!
Worst people in the world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
What difference does it make if I'm with my friend on the train and we are talking, or I call her and we talk on the train?
If I'm sitting close enough to your seat, I find it much more distracting. My brain wants to fill in the other half of the conversation. I'm a writer. I love listening to dialog, and when the friend with whom you're conversing isn't sitting next to you, something's missing, and my brain can't stand it. It has to look for what's missing or create its own version. In either case, it means far too much time spent listening to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATG5 View Post
they fail to realize using a jammer device only satisfies their own selfish desires, damn anyone else.
If someone else uses a jammer to silence some shrieking cellphone mess, he is satisfying many others' "selfish desires," not just his own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
Did he also duct tape people's mouths so they couldn't talk to each other? Did he smother noisy babies with his hands? Did he take people's MP3 players away if they were loud enough some "spillover" was coming from the headphones? Would you be OK with that? Either way you're wrong--if you answer "yes," then basically you're ok with someone breaking the law being a vigilante because they think it's OK to play God and appoint themselves as the train conductor basically. If you answer "no," you're advocating bigotry as I explained earlier.
"Bigotry"? You get so overworked, so angry, especially for a "shyguy."

Last edited by jay5835; 03-15-2016 at 03:45 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2016, 03:32 PM

9,511 posts, read 5,477,572 times
Just recently I was almost in an accident yet again with some ditz on a phone, it's certainly not a fight the guy on the phone was going to win considering my work truck is about 20 tons. Jammers should be mandatory in cars, people are too dumb to just turn them off. You should see what I see on I-5, DAILY.

I'm really tired of all the aspiring Darwin Award winners out there endangering others.

Kudos to this guy for trying and just why in the hell are the authorities even wasting money and time on this guy?

Give him a medal.

Old 03-15-2016, 03:33 PM

78,650 posts, read 60,852,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
They are frequently held at the top of the caller's lungs. There's a woman in a coffee shop I frequent. I don't think she has any idea HOW EFFING LOUD SHE TALKS WHEN SHE'S ON THE PHONE.
Yep.

We have a lot of cell phone addicts and it's just getting worse and worse.

So many of these kids have had a device in their hands since they were 2....and they're already seeing serious mental\social development problems as a result.

Old 03-15-2016, 03:57 PM

6,732 posts, read 5,187,383 times
Quote:
If someone else uses a jammer to silence some shrieking cellphone mess, he is satisfying many others' "selfish desires," not just his own.
It's still selfish. But who cares if a mom is trying to get through to her child's babysitter, or if a employer is calling a job candidate back or if a nurse is calling a patient about a lab result, or if someone is calling a loved one to give them directions for a meet up, etc.

I don't notice this phenomena that seems to bother so many people, either because I'm young or because I don't go around with my nose up other people's...yeah.

Old 03-15-2016, 04:04 PM

Quote:
It's still selfish. But who cares if a mom is trying to get through to her child's babysitter, or if a employer is calling a job candidate back or if a nurse is calling a patient about a lab result, or if someone is calling a loved one to give them directions for a meet up, etc.
Probably what they would have done before cellphones, i.e., wait until they got off the train to conduct either business or pleasure. If you're shrieking into a phone, I really couldn't care less about your issue. And btw, it's not just young people who are cellphone a'holes. The most arrogant, self-entitled person I know when it comes to cellphone rudeness is 68 years old.

If you want to chastise someone, ATG5, run your mouth at your compadres who can't keep their volume down. They're the "selfish" ones in any cellphone scenario.

Old 03-15-2016, 04:07 PM

544 posts, read 1,241,321 times
where can i buy one or send him an airline ticket to nyc? lol

Old 03-15-2016, 04:17 PM

6,732 posts, read 5,187,383 times
Quote:
Probably what they would have done before cellphones, i.e., wait until they got off the train to conduct either business or pleasure. If you're shrieking into a phone, I really couldn't care less about your issue. And btw, it's not just young people who are cellphone a'holes. The most arrogant, self-entitled person I know when it comes to cellphone rudeness is 68 years old.

If you want to chastise someone, ATG5, run your mouth at your compadres who can't keep their volume down. They're the "selfish" ones in any cellphone scenario.
I really don't need to respond to this nonsense beyond what I put in bold. You're just as bad as those cell phone users, and you don't even know it.

It's already been said, but a jammer on public transportation or just in public would interfere with people around it. But then again, who cares about that, right?

Compadres? I don't know the people who are talking on their phones and I don't care.

Get a pair of headphones and get over yourselves.

Old 03-15-2016, 04:20 PM

Quote:
I really don't need to respond to this nonsense beyond what I put in bold.
Except you left out the important part of the sentence. Here's the whole thing, incomplete-information provider: "If you're shrieking into a phone, I really couldn't care less about your issue."

Quote:
Get a pair of headphones and get over yourselves.
Trust me, sweetie. I never get on a bus without my headphones. Way too many people like you out there. Way too many.

Old 03-15-2016, 05:07 PM

3,279 posts, read 5,329,296 times
Quote:

Guess what, cell phones were invented because a lot of us appreciate NOT having to wait until someone ELSE thinks it's OK in their Miss Manners Manual to handle life. It's called convenience. In my view, convenience trumps pretty much everything.

Yes, we "got along fine" without cell phones. So what. We also "got along fine" with horses and buggies, dying from polio before the shot was created, lack of air conditioning, lack of online banking, no eBay, dying of "gangrene" infections on a large scale--any number of things.

If someone is loud, someone is loud, that's fine to argue they shouldn't be. It has nothing to do with phones, though. I've heard plenty of loud people where phones had nothing to do with it. That a phone was or wasn't involved is totally irrelevant to anyone but a bigot.

Old 03-15-2016, 05:11 PM

6,844 posts, read 2,857,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Dennis Nicholl for President !!!

Love what he did.

Don
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
Have you ever been on a train? I haven't in years, and only have a few times, but Chicago's El spends a lot of time within 3 feet of buildings - businesses, apartments, etc. The walls of the trains and of those buildings don't stop cell reception, so why do you think they'll magically stop a jammer? They won't. The self-absorbed jammer you admire so much won't have any idea if there's an emergency situation going on outside the train but within range of the jamming device.

Of course. Because the passive-aggressive control freaks are too gutless to do anything but hide as they break the law in pursuit of their it's-all-about-me idiocy.
How would feel if you found out someone died because of the little stunt Nicholl pulled? Is he still your hero, Don?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events