Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2016, 10:29 AM

1,995 posts, read 2,076,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean-Francois View Post
NO, I don't think they've chosen the wrong path because I don't like tattoos.
I have no religious feelings at all, and it's NOT strictly wrong to have a tattoo just because I don't want one.
I simply don't like tattoos
but that's not what you said here.
Quote:
Oh I think I do get the difference, it's maybe my inability to define it that's the problem.
I've been trying to think of an acceptable analogy, but that's not easy either.
How about this, it's clumsy and perhaps not well thought out, but I'll try.
There are people in the U.S. who like Donald Trump, and there are people who don't like him.
There are also people who not only dislike him, they are uneasy about those people that like him, and who think that he'd make a good president.
So, they don't just dislike him,they also dislike his supporters, I guess that I'm a bit like that about tattoos, and people that are tattooed.
I don't like tattoos, so by extension I have nothing in common with those that are tattooed, and disapprove of them enough to not want them in my company.
They're not horrible people, they've just chosen the wrong path, IN MY OPINION, and I'd prefer it if they kept their distance from me
Its not like they are contagious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2016, 01:37 PM

2,587 posts, read 1,594,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I used to be like Jean-Francois. I'm 70 years old and it used to be tattoos were associated with drunken sailors on shore leave. I get it. I think it is a generational thing really. It also used to be associated with prisoners and other "low lifes".

Then I started to notice what people were putting on their bodies. Some people memorialize a person or event in a very meaningful way. Others simply like special art on their bodies. Some were trying to make a statement and some simply are following the crowd. I decided I was way too judgmental and elitist. I would never get one and I have cautioned all 4 of my children not to either but I certainly would not disown them over it. Now I would draw the line at facial piercings (except one or two places on the ears.) I will never understand that!
We are of the same generation kudzu, I have to agree with your opening paragraph, more the prisoners and low lifes than drunken sailors though.
Neither of my children have any tattoos, at no behest nor influence of mine, nor do any of my grandchildren, but I have the vaguest of suspicions that the youngest, a girl, may eventually buck the trend.
This will have no affect on the fact that as my only granddaughter, I love her more than life itself.
Perhaps I'll eventually mellow too, and decide that I was being judgemental, but it's a little way off yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
I think even given sufficient time to ponder a fully thought-out analogy, you would still fail to find one that would register with any of us.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with not liking tattoos. There IS something wrong with making a snap decision about a person and immediately deciding that you will have absolutely nothing to do with them simply because they have a tattoo.
If I can't think of an appropriate analogy that would register with any of you then that's my cross to bear I guess.

As for deciding that I want no involvement with someone who is inked, that is my call, no matter how you feel about it, or how you feel about me for thinking that way.
It's fairly obvious that we are diametrically opposed on this, and there is never going to be a meeting of minds, how about we put it behind us, you think of me as you will, and I'll blithely carry on in my perceived ignorance?

Old 10-10-2016, 08:08 PM

17,574 posts, read 15,247,745 times
Quote:
If I can't think of an appropriate analogy that would register with any of you then that's my cross to bear I guess.

As for deciding that I want no involvement with someone who is inked, that is my call, no matter how you feel about it, or how you feel about me for thinking that way.
It's fairly obvious that we are diametrically opposed on this, and there is never going to be a meeting of minds, how about we put it behind us, you think of me as you will, and I'll blithely carry on in my perceived ignorance?
I've got a question for you based on previous statements... You know a person for 10 years and they get a tattoo.. do you stop talking to them?

What about a person, such as myself, who has a tattoo that you would likely never see? If you found out about it after 10 years, would that then change your opinion of the person? And, no, I don't have a tattoo that says "Ha" most of the time, but later on says "Halleluja". Yes, I just made an erection joke.

I also say that you don't know that none of your kids/grandkids don't have tattoos.. There's lots of people who get them in places that you just won't see. And, that's not a joke.. I'm talking things like the shoulder blade or the ankle.

Old 10-11-2016, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
I've got a question for you based on previous statements... You know a person for 10 years and they get a tattoo.. do you stop talking to them?

What about a person, such as myself, who has a tattoo that you would likely never see? If you found out about it after 10 years, would that then change your opinion of the person? And, no, I don't have a tattoo that says "Ha" most of the time, but later on says "Halleluja". Yes, I just made an erection joke.

I also say that you don't know that none of your kids/grandkids don't have tattoos.. There's lots of people who get them in places that you just won't see. And, that's not a joke.. I'm talking things like the shoulder blade or the ankle.
First question, no, at least not right off, but dependant on the tattoo I might begin to see them in a different light, and the closeness of our acquaintanceship might develop a crack which eventually leads to conscious uncoupling, (to quote Gwyneth Paltrow.)
Second, I doubt that if having known someone 10 years I'd be unaware of their tattoo, unless it was a 4cm bee on their butt cheek.
If I was told about that after 10 years, it would be okay with me, it's those nauseating sleeves and neck markings that are deal breakers.
Third, I can see where you're coming from with your assertion, but my sons share my dislike of tattoos, although they are ambivalent about other people having them, although both have said facial marking is vomit inducing.
My elder two grandsons are the sons of my German daughter-in-law and my elder son, they know mutti doesn't like tattoos, and they'd never go against her, even the eldest, who did his military service before Germany dropped it, nor the younger, who is a Freiwillige Feuerwehr, (volunteer firefighter.)
My English grandkids are too young to even think about tattoos, I hope it stays that way, but as I've said, the youngest, a girl, knows her own mind, and may well kick over the traces.
Anyway, this back and forth is becoming boring now, I'll accept that y'all see me as worse than Ted Bundy, if you leave me to stew in my own prejudices, deal?

Old 10-11-2016, 06:55 AM

2,691 posts, read 1,666,736 times
Quote:
Anyway, this back and forth is becoming boring now, I'll accept that y'all see me as worse than Ted Bundy, if you leave me to stew in my own prejudices, deal?
Don't malign poor Ted. He is a saint compared to you, according to some.

Old 10-11-2016, 07:52 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.â€" (set 13 hours ago)

27,160 posts, read 13,449,232 times
Get a Free Skull, a Nazi Swastika, a Satanic Symbol or a Naked picture of Hilary Clinton emblazened on your arm for life, the possibilities are endless and what could possible go wrong.

Old 10-11-2016, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamban View Post
Don't malign poor Ted. He is a saint compared to you, according to some.

I'm all broke up, maybe they take things too seriously, relax Palmetto, take a chill pill.

Old 10-12-2016, 12:14 PM

181 posts, read 138,845 times
Quote:
I wouldn't get a tattoo, period.
My first thought on seeing a person with a tattoo is that we are on different wavelengths, so any social interaction between us has zero chance of developing.
You seem to lack creativity. So you would be boring to socially interact with. No one wants to get stuck in a conversation with an uninteresting person so it's good that you know your place.

And to answer the question, no I would not be down with a surprise tatoo.

Old 10-12-2016, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alabamarose View Post
You seem to lack creativity. So you would be boring to socially interact with. No one wants to get stuck in a conversation with an uninteresting person so it's good that you know your place.

And to answer the question, no I would not be down with a surprise tatoo.
Yay for me, I know my place!

Old 10-12-2016, 05:07 PM

181 posts, read 138,845 times
Quote:
Yay for me, I know my place!
What an interesting thing to say.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events