Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2016, 04:46 AM

78,347 posts, read 60,547,237 times

Advertisements

Just have it in New Orleans.

On average they have to rebuild everything once every 20 years or so anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2016, 08:31 AM

1,201 posts, read 1,223,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Many sports received almost no coverage...

I think the first US medal was in a shooting event and nothing...

yea and then they ask the medalist about gun control issues. how classy.

Old 10-13-2016, 08:54 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,524,309 times
I can't bear watching olympics anymore with the time delay thing. Only wanting to play stuff in prime time despite the results being online in some instances 12 hours earlier. I remember when I was young staying up until 2am to watch events or being able to watch something good at 10am. I loved it when it was like that!

Old 10-13-2016, 09:23 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,481,679 times
All the doping scandals has left me with a bitter taste and little desire to give the Olympics the credibility that spending millions on new venues would deem appropriate.

Send it back to Greece and all those countries wishing to participate pay a fee for venue development. None of this torch carrying for thousands of miles in the larger countries (boring) or the military and political displays that have tainted some of the others.

Rio was an obscene display with all that glitter built below one of the largest slum areas in the world. I just loved the juxtaposition of cameras cutting to groups of slum dwellers grouped around some jury-rigged flat screen TV under a scrap sheet tin roof watching the games. Cripes; it's all a sham.

Old 10-13-2016, 09:27 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,292,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adriver View Post
I know they had considered doing this in one place, which frankly makes more sense. The cities that host lose tons of money in the short and long run, while corruption surrounds the games every single time from the private contractors can swoop in and steal overpaid deals to the officials who give them preference.
I think they ought to hold them in one place. Perhaps, Athens is the most logical place considering Greece is where the Olympics began. It would be financially less of a burden for governments and taxpayers to be able to use the same facilities over again.

It won't ever happen though because politics and graft always outweighs logic. Back in 2002, the extent of graft and corruption in the International Olympic Organizing Committee was revealed and it was a depressing sight. Seats on the committee are considered "plums" that are highly sought after especially by people from third world countries. They essentially go on trip after trip to countries that are considering hosting the Olympics and they get all kinds of financial favors for doing so. What prevents this from being called a "bribe" is that nothing is actually promised in return for these favors. They simply sweeten the pot. A system where cities compete for the right to hold the Olympics is exactly what these committee members want (and need).

All that has happened here is that the number of cities seeking the Olympics has been reduced. There are still multiple contenders and there probably always will be.

Business interests will always lobby hard for their country to host the Olympics because of the financial returns to local business. There are construction jobs, jobs in the hospitality industry, and jobs that are created simply because of the presence of the Olympics. The increase in revenue to certain businesses is an utter windfall. My problem with this is the taxpayers largely subsidize it. Those of us who have to "foot the bill" aren't crazy about the Olympics.

Old 10-13-2016, 10:22 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,954,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
Well they show 3 minutes of events then talk for 5 minutes, and then there's 5 minutes of advertisements. So after watching it for 2 hours you don't really feel like you saw very much when there's like 28 different events.

I wanted to see a summary show where they showed the highlights of all the events, and who won the medals in them each day. If they had this I have no idea when it was on. Every time I flipped it on all they ever talked about was swimming, track and field, and gymnastics.
You're right about that. I like the swimming, but after a while, all the races looked the same. I didn't like way they constantly harped on Michael Phelps and what a god he is, along with Simone Biles. There were other athletes competing, they were all amazing, and most of them weren't even from the US! I would have liked the coverage more evenly spread out among the different sports.

Old 10-13-2016, 11:06 AM

17,302 posts, read 12,236,388 times
The number of people who care who is the best at recreational activities is just declining as well. Younger generation in specific just isn't as interested.

Old 10-13-2016, 02:15 PM

1,051 posts, read 797,134 times
Los Angeles is advertising itself as a city/region that would not need to develop any infrastructure to host the 2024 Summer Olympics. Having two of the most successful college sports teams local (dorms used for an Olympic Village) and other iconic venues (Rose Bowl, Coliseum) and the new football stadium already under construction relieves LA of having to make a major investment. This has led to the suggestion that LA be a permanent home for the summer games.

I suspect that LA is one of the few cities in the world where this confluence of venues and housing is available. It's also one of the most diverse and 'global' cities in the world. Could work though the IOC seems to be getting rich off of rotating the venue so unlikely to happen.

Old 10-13-2016, 02:34 PM

78,347 posts, read 60,547,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
All the doping scandals has left me with a bitter taste and little desire to give the Olympics the credibility that spending millions on new venues would deem appropriate.

Send it back to Greece and all those countries wishing to participate pay a fee for venue development. None of this torch carrying for thousands of miles in the larger countries (boring) or the military and political displays that have tainted some of the others.

Rio was an obscene display with all that glitter built below one of the largest slum areas in the world. I just loved the juxtaposition of cameras cutting to groups of slum dwellers grouped around some jury-rigged flat screen TV under a scrap sheet tin roof watching the games. Cripes; it's all a sham.
I barely watched the Olympics this year. They've been corrupt and dirty for so long with officiating, doping and so forth I just can't get that excited about it anymore.

As for the other stuff it does seem the games has power to bring us together but then at the same time you get all the bans, boycotts, threats and of course the really bad stuff like failed athletes getting sent to re-education centers or incidents like Munich and the massive corruption at every turn.

Old 10-13-2016, 02:53 PM

11,120 posts, read 5,585,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I barely watched the Olympics this year. They've been corrupt and dirty for so long with officiating, doping and so forth I just can't get that excited about it anymore.

As for the other stuff it does seem the games has power to bring us together but then at the same time you get all the bans, boycotts, threats and of course the really bad stuff like failed athletes getting sent to re-education centers or incidents like Munich and the massive corruption at every turn.
All your complaints could be directed at organized athletics as a whole, rather than just singling-out the Olympic Games.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events