Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2016, 12:00 AM

109 posts, read 292,219 times

Advertisements

I wish I could unsee this thread. This is so horrible. I hate elevators ever since I got stuck in one. That poor mom. I can't imagine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2016, 04:19 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,491,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I suspect that isn't correct. I think that when an elevator door opens, the majority of people look to see if there is room in the elevator, that there isn't anyone dangerous already in the elevator, and that the elevator has stopped level with the floor, before they step inside. Maybe no one is thinking that the elevator won't be there, but most people do look before they step in and would notice the space was dark and had a big cable hanging down in the middle of it, instead of being lit and paneled.

Probably it was an accident, but she very likely didn't just walk in. With our modern society, she probably had her nose buried in her phone texting. People who are texting run into light poles and into cars, so it isn't outside possibility that she was texting. I don't think it was deliberate, but I do think there is some parental responsibility in this.
She might very well have been distracted. It's still a horrific accident. Don't forget, she also fell. Maybe the woman is as dumb as a rock, but when I see posts about how it was some sort of deliberate act it upsets me and makes me wonder what kind of world those posters live in.

Old 10-16-2016, 04:26 AM

1,248 posts, read 823,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
With all due sympathy to the woman and her child, some of the responses on this thread make me think a lot of Americans should be wearing helmets if they are allowed outside unaccompanied.

People need to be aware of their surroundings and take some responsibility for their own safety. Look both ways when crossing the street, look into an elevator before entering, drive defensively, don't stab your face with your fork when eating, when putting on shoes, toes go in first.

Take some responsibility for your own basic safety. Society cannot control every eventuality.
One would think that at least a woman who has a baby with her would be on high alert and aware of her surroundings. It's a natural, instinctive reaction for mothers of every species in the natural world. But some human mothers have apparently lost that protective instinct.

Old 10-16-2016, 06:10 AM

18,526 posts, read 18,735,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norne View Post
One would think that at least a woman who has a baby with her would be on high alert and aware of her surroundings. It's a natural, instinctive reaction for mothers of every species in the natural world. But some human mothers have apparently lost that protective instinct.
what planet are you on.... is there no respect or sympathy at all for this mother. for christs sake think this through and have pity..we seem to have some superhuman beings on here who have never made a boob.

Old 10-16-2016, 07:39 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,310,798 times
She must have been badly hurt, too.
I was in Kuwait and one of our engineers was Middle Eastern. He had worked on a building that was having a Roof Top Unit (RTU) replaced. The HVAC techs removed the old one and left the hole. They placed a piece of plywood over it and didn't put up barriers. (no safety regulations being followed) As with everything, the plywood was fair game for theft. But the unlucky thief stood the plywood up in front of himself, blocking his view of the hole and stepped forward, right into the hole in the roof. I can't remember if the guy died or not but...ouch.

Old 10-16-2016, 09:20 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,953,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
what planet are you on.... is there no respect or sympathy at all for this mother. for christs sake think this through and have pity..we seem to have some superhuman beings on here who have never made a boob.
That's not it. It's the electronic cocaine called smartphones that has taken over our lives today. Granted, I have no way of knowing for sure she wasn't paying attention when walking toward the yawning chasm of the elevator shaft because she was looking at her smartphone. But it is highly likely.

Last week my wife went into a restaurant and sat down at a table to dine. She looked at a mom a few tables away from her with an infant. The baby was fussy, and as a means of attempting to keep her entertained, she was literally dangling her child in the air by one arm while staring at her smartphone in the other! My wife was completely horrified. A moment later, the food came and the woman placed the child in the high chair.

There's an even more tragic story in our town. A friend of my neighbor's was driving in her SUV with her two small children, a 2 year old and an infant, on an access road at high speed beside a freeway. All was well until a few seconds of inattention changed her life forever. A disabled tractor trailer was parked on the access road with hazard lights on, waiting to be towed by a tow truck. She slammed into the back of the truck at about 50 miles an hour. One of her children was killed in the accident.

The police grilled her and the truck driver about what happened. Only after a lot of prodding did she reluctantly admit she had been looking at her phone and by the time she saw the truck, it was too late to stop. Did she deserve to go through what happened to her poor child? Absolutely not; it was a tragic accident and no parent should have to experience it. But parents who can't leave the phone alone long enough to drive from Point A to Point B (even if it's by foot) without the phone need to throw it in the nearest swimming pool and use a landline instead.

Old 10-16-2016, 09:51 AM

6,005 posts, read 4,785,370 times
No one knows if this mother was on her phone or otherwise distracted. That's purely speculation. The humane and decent thing would be to express sympathy for the loss of her child, not try to pick apart all the things Mom might have done wrong. Something so banal as getting into an elevator shouldn't take hypervigilance.

Old 10-16-2016, 09:57 AM

619 posts, read 574,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicci6Squirrels View Post
No one knows if this mother was on her phone or otherwise distracted. That's purely speculation. The humane and decent thing would be to express sympathy for the loss of her child, not try to pick apart all the things Mom might have done wrong. Something so banal as getting into an elevator shouldn't take hypervigilance.
absolutely

Old 10-16-2016, 10:52 AM

1,248 posts, read 823,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
I have used a Paternoster (doorless elevator) before in Germany (maybe the one below), and you do have to keep your wits about you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rvvbn7O1nus

Germany still has plenty of these.

The German word is Paternosteraufzügen
Yes, I am familiar with those too. Apparently they do not exist anywhere outside of Europe. I think it is a pretty cool contraption. Definitely not recommended to text while getting into one.

Old 10-16-2016, 11:02 AM

44 posts, read 32,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yspobo View Post
Another reason to avoid elevator shafts.
There. Fixed it for you.

Also, this lady is about to become rich from the multimillion dollar lawsuit she's about to win.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events