Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2016, 11:11 AM

9,985 posts, read 5,689,285 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tassity22 View Post
I personally would not want my five year old on a bus, even if "millions of other parents" allow it. I'd find a way to get them to school but it wouldn't be on a bus.
Why not?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2016, 11:37 AM

9,446 posts, read 6,583,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eok View Post
If the 5 year old would lie about the note, maybe he would lie about the bullies. Maybe he just felt like walking, and was upset that the rules prohibited it, so he subverted those rules. We should never jump to conclusions about what really happens. He might have even been scared of the smell of diesel from the bus engine, but afraid to admit it.

Besides that, if he was really just afraid of spitballs, is that really something that should cause major fear? How much pain do they cause? It seems to me spitballs are more like a game. Like when your dog grabs your cash and runs off with it. He's not trying to steal your cash, but just wants to provoke you into a race. Maybe his mom should make him a spitball jacket, like a hoodie that protects from spitballs.

^^^ For real?

Old 10-31-2016, 11:40 AM

50,849 posts, read 24,359,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Really? Better off?? What if one day a little kid never makes it home? What if a little girl disappears forever on her way home, because she was afraid to ride the bus? "Getting tough with" the smaller kids doesn't take much. Mostly an "I mean business" attitude, body language, and tone of voice. If the kids are so out of control that that doesn't work, the school has more serious problems. But this situation shouldn't be allowed to continue. The principal could kick troublesome students out of the bus service altogether, and tell parents they need to provide their own transportation for their kid, because he's too unruly to be allowed on the bus.
There's no indication in the article that the school was aware of the bullying (if spitballs is bullying; was the kid targeted with spitballs or was it a spitball war?). You're kinda jumping to conclusions.

Old 10-31-2016, 11:44 AM

Quote:
The driver can't possibly be held responsible for knowing what kids are supposed to be on the bus, and what kids were sick that day, or were picked up by a parent to go to a music lesson or doc appointment, or whatever.
Kids who are being bullied, whether on school grounds or on the bus, need to know that they can complain to their teacher. School staff and admin need to have a way of knowing that bullying is going on.
Okay. But what do you mean by what I bolded?

Old 10-31-2016, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post

Why not? My daughter's bus driver does it every day. If a kid isn't on the bus who is supposed to be, then he doesn't leave until he finds out from the school where that student is (sick, going potty, wandering the hall, picked up by a parent, whatever.) And if he ever does, that will probably be his last day on the job.

What happens when there's a substitute bus driver?

Old 10-31-2016, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Really? Well I don't hear anyone else coming up with ideas, certainly not the schools....

Except for this one:
Ruth, a minor has no legal authority over another minor in a school setting.
A minor is not legally responsible for almost anything that another child does without the consent of that other child's parent.

Old 10-31-2016, 11:53 AM

9,985 posts, read 5,689,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
What happens when there's a substitute bus driver?
Same thing that happens every day. (S)he gets the students' names as they get on the bus and checks them off on the route list. If any student is unaccounted for, (s)he gets a bus monitor to reconcile the list.

This isn't rocket science, folks.

Old 10-31-2016, 11:54 AM

102,218 posts, read 107,977,655 times
Quote:
There's no indication in the article that the school was aware of the bullying (if spitballs is bullying; was the kid targeted with spitballs or was it a spitball war?). You're kinda jumping to conclusions.
No, I'm not at all. I was speaking hypothetically about the future. After this incident, the principal "could" take this or that action. The preceding sentence, "This situation shouldn't be allowed to continue" indicates a discussion about future solutions follows, not assumptions about the past occurrence. If I'd been making an assumption about the past event, I'd have said "could have" done X, using a past verb tense. You misread the post.

Old 10-31-2016, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
Same thing that happens every day. (S)he gets the students' names as they get on the bus and checks them off on the route list. If any student is unaccounted for, (s)he gets a bus monitor to reconcile the list.

This isn't rocket science, folks.
IF there's a bus monitor.

Old 10-31-2016, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Ruth, a minor has no legal authority over another minor in a school setting.
A minor is not legally responsible for almost anything that another child does without the consent of that other child's parent.
And yet, at least one school has been able to make such a system work. It's not a matter of legal authority.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events