Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2016, 04:17 PM

16,269 posts, read 10,395,161 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
I had a similar though less physically injurious experience.

I was working at a major department store for the Christmas 1975 selling season. The store's policy (as in effect at another major store when I was in an analogous situation in 1975) is designed to protect the store from liability but can leave employees and customers in a very dangerous situation.

On or about December 23, 1975, I was working the late shift at a major White Plains department store (while on holiday from college). It started snowing and many of the staff left. A tall gentleman approached me on the floor and demanded money to get his car started. I gave him $5 from my wallet. I also immediately contacted store security. I was fired the next day, even though I gave the man no money from the cash registers. When I was fired I was told I had "endangered the store." The fact is that they were willing to leave the store open after allowing many of the employees to depart, leaving the store dangerously understaffed. Their only concern was their own liability.

Good grief. What kind of demands the store pay to get his car started?

Last edited by toosie; 12-12-2016 at 07:16 PM.. Reason: TOS - profanity - deleted
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2016, 05:52 PM

468 posts, read 553,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
Light sentences are due to prison overcrowding. That is one of the big reasons for the decriminization for marijuana possession. Those opposed to these new laws never seemed to get it that people like this, not pot heads, are the people who should be in jail.

What a total POS this guy is, let's all hope the cashier ends up OK
Exactly. But religion, govt, media & other puppets have brainwashed public into believing that cannabis is same as ecstasy, cocaine etc. Legalisation or decriminalization should have been done decades ago. People need to keep in mind that serious criminals are born out of these men whilst in jail for petty marijuana things as well.

Govt refuses to acknowledge upbringing, social situation & environment play huge parts in these kinds of deviant behaviour. They won't tackle the root of the problem and everyone expects magical solutions.

Oh, this story reminds me of the reports Colin Flaherty does on his YT channel. Interesting stuff.

Old 12-12-2016, 09:04 PM

35,000 posts, read 16,964,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
Good grief. What kind of demands the store pay to get his car started?
None. I took the money out of my pocket. I contacted security to get the guy stop. Tht cost me job.

Old 12-13-2016, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlyCurious View Post
Exactly. But religion, govt, media & other puppets have brainwashed public into believing that cannabis is same as ecstasy, cocaine etc. Legalisation or decriminalization should have been done decades ago. People need to keep in mind that serious criminals are born out of these men whilst in jail for petty marijuana things as well.

Tell it to this guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eevee17 View Post
Because junkies (including potheads) don't murder people. Let's say they mostly don't, they never rob or harass law abiding citizens.

Old 12-13-2016, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
None. I took the money out of my pocket. I contacted security to get the guy stop. Tht cost me job.
Yeah I saw that, my post got clipped or had a typo. I was asking what kind of jerk demands the store pay to get his car started.

Old 12-15-2016, 06:50 PM

13,232 posts, read 7,286,273 times
People who commit violent crimes should not get a pass need to be kept away from people at least for a very long time. Once they get out of prison they need to be monitored very closely.

I could careless if someone gets caught with a truck load of marijuana because I think it should not be illegal. The reason our legal system doesn't work that well is because it's clogged up with drug offences.

I don't know what the exact answer is to drugs but it's not prison that is for sure. Education and rehab is what people need to stay off drugs. I'm not in favor of hard drugs being sold to anyone but we need to work more to shut down the want of it get those people free help they need. The biggest problem with our country is the cost of medical programs to help someone get off drugs.

Old 12-15-2016, 07:16 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,610,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
If you knock them out and they fall and hit their head on cement etc.

I know someone that works at Home depot in a so-so area and am always shocked at how many general scumbags they have to deal with. Thefts, stalkers etc etc.
I worked for a Home Depot in an ok area. Not great, but not ghetto either. And OMG! I had more calls for the store manager and security in those 2 months than I have in the rest of my combined. The threats people make. Theft was over $10K a month. Freaky contractors who wanted to date me and do things to me. They would stand there in line saying what they wanted to do to me and we weren't supposed to say anything. I was like ok you have a lovely day. I was physically threatened numerous times.

The last straw was a nutjob grabbing my arm because they didn't like that the card they were using didn't match the signature at all....the card belonged to Mrs Edward Smith and his license said he was NOT Mr Edward Smith so I canceled the transaction. The dude flipped out. Took 3 managers and security to get rid of him. Never went back after that day.

Old 12-15-2016, 10:45 PM

3,279 posts, read 5,315,493 times
But, but, but, but--the customer is always right.

Such is why I carry pepper spray when I do such jobs. It doesn't help that I can sometimes "go Charles Barkley on them" (i.e., say what I think in a very unfiltered manner). Good example, few days ago someone had bought a lot of items and had them all crammed on that small counterspace we had, and the person behind them had started putting their stuff up there before I was done with the first person (pet peeve of mine, don't do that, the stuff gets "cross-contaminated" especially since we don't have those "sticks" for making it clear when one person ends and the other begins). I had to ring one item up separately from the first batch because I thought it was for the next customer when it was for the first one, and apparently this was a major thing to her, I said very nicely "it's OK, no big deal" when she got mad and said "well it's a big deal to me" to which I said "well you're wrong, it's NOT a big deal, so do yourself a favor and lighten up."

Old 12-16-2016, 08:44 AM

4,314 posts, read 3,992,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
But, but, but, but--the customer is always right.

Such is why I carry pepper spray when I do such jobs. It doesn't help that I can sometimes "go Charles Barkley on them" (i.e., say what I think in a very unfiltered manner). Good example, few days ago someone had bought a lot of items and had them all crammed on that small counterspace we had, and the person behind them had started putting their stuff up there before I was done with the first person (pet peeve of mine, don't do that, the stuff gets "cross-contaminated" especially since we don't have those "sticks" for making it clear when one person ends and the other begins). I had to ring one item up separately from the first batch because I thought it was for the next customer when it was for the first one, and apparently this was a major thing to her, I said very nicely "it's OK, no big deal" when she got mad and said "well it's a big deal to me" to which I said "well you're wrong, it's NOT a big deal, so do yourself a favor and lighten up."

......."we don't have those sticks "...

Why not ?

It's not like they are real expensive and have to be serviced and programmed.

Old 12-16-2016, 03:42 PM

35,672 posts, read 21,030,020 times
wonder if the same dude I threw out one year while working PT at the depot--put him a way!! -lots of riff raff- drunks- thieves- at the depot-- but around the registers --not a good place to fall-
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events