Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2016, 08:37 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,953,220 times

Advertisements

My how thing have changed. I can't believe how many people are defending the airline. I agree the lady should have left quietly, but ultimately it's the airlines fault people are trying to stuff as much as they can in the overhead bin. Why are they doing it? Because they don't want to get charged for checking a bag. People are tired of being nickel and dimed.

Eons ago, before airlines charged for checking bags, boarding was much faster because many people just checked their bags so there were fewer bags going in the overhead bin, and people didn't push the limits on size so much. So many people are shoving their bags in the bin, the boarding process is very slow. Luggage is part of travel. I can't wait for United to start charging for overhead bin space. They will discover most passengers will check their bags instead, leading to much more work for the airline when the majority of passengers' luggage is checked. Why haul your own stuff on the plane if you'll be charged no matter what?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2016, 08:52 AM

1,850 posts, read 819,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch33 View Post
Teleportation can't come quick enough.
You don't need teleportation to throw her onto the runway. Oh, wait, you mean for the rest of us ...

Old 12-14-2016, 09:02 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,522,736 times
I cringe when I see people waiting in line to board my plane with what appears to be full size luggage, a massive purse, and another "personal bag". Then they hold up the line because the suitcase is too large to fit in the bin but they will try for a good few minutes before giving up. They jam, slam, throw other peoples crap around, smash other peoples stuff, etc... just to get their precious bag in the overhead. It ends up not working and then they have to back up and stop the whole line again so they can check it at the entrance to the plane.

It seems no one plans ahead nowadays and/or has any care for other human beings.

Old 12-14-2016, 09:51 AM

10,352 posts, read 7,979,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
I cringe when I see people waiting in line to board my plane with what appears to be full size luggage, a massive purse, and another "personal bag".
Those people are violating the carryon rules, and while I can understand why you're angry with them, your real anger should be directed at the airline which isn't enforcing its own rules. The rules aren't new, and there's no reason people shouldn't know them before they fly.

Someone who is boarding with a carryon of regulation size (9 x 14 x 22 inches or smaller) and a single personal item would not be holding up the boarding process unless they are just too feeble to lift their bag into the bin (in which case they should check it, for their own safety as well as for the safety of the passengers nearby, who shouldn't have to risk having a bag dropped on their heads). It takes me all of ten seconds to slide my legal-sized carryon into the overhead bin.

Old 12-14-2016, 10:39 AM

1,915 posts, read 1,480,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
Those people are violating the carryon rules, and while I can understand why you're angry with them, your real anger should be directed at the airline which isn't enforcing its own rules. The rules aren't new, and there's no reason people shouldn't know them before they fly.

Someone who is boarding with a carryon of regulation size (9 x 14 x 22 inches or smaller) and a single personal item would not be holding up the boarding process unless they are just too feeble to lift their bag into the bin (in which case they should check it, for their own safety as well as for the safety of the passengers nearby, who shouldn't have to risk having a bag dropped on their heads). It takes me all of ten seconds to slide my legal-sized carryon into the overhead bin.
I don't get it either. Sometimes I will see gate agents stopping passengers and telling them they need to check some of their bags, but not often enough. What's really frustrating is when you go to sit in your seat and there is no one else sitted in the immediate area and there are other people's luggage in the overhead you are supposed to use. Packed full so there is no place for your bag. I never can figure that out. Are people getting tired of lugging their own bags and just placing them in the first open bin?

I always bring a backpack as a carry on. It's small, smaller than regulation size, I can put everything in it that I "need" including a change of undies if they lose my main bag, and I even can fit my purse in it. And it's easy for me to move around the airport. I have to wonder why some people need what are essentially small suitcases in addition to a "personal bag" about the same size as their suitcase.

Old 12-14-2016, 10:55 AM

2,382 posts, read 3,499,049 times
Typical of today's society....they want to turn THEIR problem into YOUR problem.

Old 12-14-2016, 11:04 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,555,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
Well, that was certainly undignified!

But I am absolutely astounded that someone was actually held accountable for their behavior. A miracle.

Yes, this is the real story here. In this day and age - someone actually being held accountable for antisocial ahole behavior. Not very often you see that now.

Old 12-14-2016, 11:05 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,555,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaLind View Post
I don't get it either. Sometimes I will see gate agents stopping passengers and telling them they need to check some of their bags, but not often enough. What's really frustrating is when you go to sit in your seat and there is no one else sitted in the immediate area and there are other people's luggage in the overhead you are supposed to use. Packed full so there is no place for your bag. I never can figure that out. Are people getting tired of lugging their own bags and just placing them in the first open bin?

I always bring a backpack as a carry on. It's small, smaller than regulation size, I can put everything in it that I "need" including a change of undies if they lose my main bag, and I even can fit my purse in it. And it's easy for me to move around the airport. I have to wonder why some people need what are essentially small suitcases in addition to a "personal bag" about the same size as their suitcase.

Come to NYC, some women apparently can't even go to work without a handbag the size of an armchair.

Old 12-14-2016, 11:50 AM

10,352 posts, read 7,979,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaLind View Post
I have to wonder why some people need what are essentially small suitcases in addition to a "personal bag" about the same size as their suitcase.
As someone who sometimes travels carryon-only, that's an easy question to answer. You need a large carryon (9 x 14 x 22") if you're either traveling with stuff that should never, ever be checked (think DSLR camera plus 4-5 lenses, for one example) or if the trip is one where loss of luggage or a significant delay in delivery would spell disaster.

The last time I flew carryon-only, I was going to New Zealand for a friend's wedding. I was only staying in New Zealand for four days, the wedding was going to be two days after I arrived, and I had to get there via four flights on two separate airlines. There was too much opportunity for a misrouted bag, and it would have been a big problem if the bag was delayed by more than 24 hours. And how much clothing does a person need for a four-day trip, anyway? So I packed everything I needed (my fancy dress for the wedding, and a couple of changes of casual clothes) into a legal-sized carryon and took just my carryon and a personal item. It was less convenient than checking a bag, since I had to lug the carryon with me through all those connecting airports, but it was the safer option.

Carryon-only has its place. The people who are causing problems are not those bringing a carryon, but the ones who don't think they have to obey the rules (or who don't even bother to check what the rules are before they show up at the airport). If you can't read the rules and follow them, please just STAY HOME!

Old 12-14-2016, 11:51 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,480,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post

Bingo! X2
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events