Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2016, 02:05 PM

3,279 posts, read 5,320,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal25 View Post
I appreciate you pointing out how uninformed your opinion is here. The deal is that even as an adult, there are times where, in a civilized society, others have authority over you. On a plane you listen to the flight crew, it's not a choice to decide what you will and will not obey. This is for the safety of every one. Rational adults are able to function without feeling persecuted.
That would be OK if they don't go overboard with it. Having to take off your shoes, not have any liquids, can't use electronics to help pass the time even though it's been shown time and time again to NOT affect the electronics of the plane, well at some point I think maybe it gets to be too much. Not being belligerent is one thing, and if that is what was going on here then fine, but I do get the sense that there's too much going on in terms of it being as if you're in school in 3rd grade and the principal is around. If it's like that, it shouldn't be. "Sit down and shut up?" To heck with that, I can't imagine pitching a fit over the peanuts or such but at the same time I'm not a child and I shouldn't be treated like one. This isn't a courtroom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2016, 02:43 PM

6,039 posts, read 6,057,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
That would be OK if they don't go overboard with it. Having to take off your shoes, not have any liquids, can't use electronics to help pass the time even though it's been shown time and time again to NOT affect the electronics of the plane, well at some point I think maybe it gets to be too much. Not being belligerent is one thing, and if that is what was going on here then fine, but I do get the sense that there's too much going on in terms of it being as if you're in school in 3rd grade and the principal is around. If it's like that, it shouldn't be. "Sit down and shut up?" To heck with that, I can't imagine pitching a fit over the peanuts or such but at the same time I'm not a child and I shouldn't be treated like one. This isn't a courtroom.
Says the person who has flown 2x and not once in the past 10 years.

Old 12-31-2016, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
Says the person who has flown 2x and not once in the past 10 years.
I don't have to have flown recently, if at all, to know what I would want and not want in the flying experience. I realize that using any commercial service is not the same as being in your own private car and I well imagine I'd do well most likely, but I also know that something like traveling is supposed to be a pleasant experience and I also know that I don't like being given orders (instructions are fine, I'm talking about ORDERS) nor do I like an atmosphere where I feel like it's as if I'm in a courtroom or such where there's such a huge expectation of one's "disposition" or such that it makes one uncomfortable. I don't need to have flown recently to know that I don't like that. It does help to have flown recently to know if it is really like that, yes.

Old 12-31-2016, 02:56 PM

6,039 posts, read 6,057,497 times
Quote:
I don't have to have flown recently, if at all, to know what I would want and not want in the flying experience. I realize that using any commercial service is not the same as being in your own private car and I well imagine I'd do well most likely, but I also know that something like traveling is supposed to be a pleasant experience and I also know that I don't like being given orders (instructions are fine, I'm talking about ORDERS) nor do I like an atmosphere where I feel like it's as if I'm in a courtroom or such where there's such a huge expectation of one's "disposition" or such that it makes one uncomfortable. I don't need to have flown recently to know that I don't like that. It does help to have flown recently to know if it is really like that, yes.
Did you really write what I bolded up there??

I've flown fairly regularly since 1989. You know almost nothing about what it's like.

Not a single time would I say the flight crew was as rude or bossy as some of the actual passengers are.

But keep using silly comparisons (goose-stepping and the nazi thing) and imagining what it "might" be like.

Old 12-31-2016, 02:56 PM

37,803 posts, read 41,031,367 times
I think that anyone pulled off of a plane for any kind of disruption should be drug tested as soon as they get off the plane. Drunks, too. Follow that with "no fly list."

Old 12-31-2016, 06:17 PM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,487 posts, read 3,341,226 times
Quote:
Actually, you can now use tablets and play games on your phone (set to airplane mode) throughout the flight. You still can't use your laptop till cruising altitude. I think that is more due to the size of the device.

Sometimes you can get lucky and fly through the security if you get the TSA precheck:
https://www.tsa.gov/precheck

Now that we are finally in our house, we are going to sign up. No more taking off shoes, taking laptops out of the case and all those fun things. We've gotten that lucky draw and have had those magic words show up on our boarding ticket quite a few times. I love it when that happens. Yep, definitely signing up.

I've been flying for a very long time and remember how it was pre 9/11. I miss those days but it is what it is now.

Old 12-31-2016, 08:12 PM

21,149 posts, read 19,729,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny DeSurf View Post
you know I never see the police on my flights. How many were there on this plane? 4 or 5? I had no idea so many police were on each flights these days.... Did you?
Yeah, and it's amazing they just jump out of the plane in mid-air.

You really didn't realize that they were at the gate and the cops came from the terminal?

Old 12-31-2016, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robino1 View Post
{snip}

I've been flying for a very long time and remember how it was pre 9/11. I miss those days but it is what it is now.
That's the thing, I don't know why they are still being so anal 15 years after 9/11 happened. I realize that 9/11 was a big thing, but that was 15 years ago and to me convenience matters. I want convenience AND safety, BOTH of it, and I reject the idea that it isn't possible. I just don't believe it. I believe that, like a lot of things, when you get the federal government involved in matters previously handled by private companies (TSA), you end up creating a bureaucracy machine that just makes life hell for people. They continue doing as they do because people believe that over-the-top measures are necessary to prevent another 9/11 and I just don't believe that's really the case. I'm not saying they should let everybody in without doing a thing, but at some point it gets kind of ridiculous.

One of the main things I hear about which upsets me is the prospect of being stuck in the Tamrac for several hours. To me that's legalized kidnapping, if I want to get off the plane I should be able to. "They can't verify you in terms of international concerns," OH WELL. That is on YOU for not making it possible to do without that sort of hardship being imposed on me. Eight HOURS on a plane, with no choice in the matter, and with no food? Anyone who would go "Chuck Norris" on the air marshals and get off anyway, I applaud them.

That's the thing, I hear of things like that happening all the time and it causes me to be somewhat sympathetic towards travelers who go off, even though in this specific case apparently the travelers were in fact way out of line. I think when someone flips out on the TSA for causing a person's colostomy bag to be burst and when 95 year olds are strip-searched etc, I say good for them for flipping out, they shouldn't be all diplomatic and "yes sir, yes ma'am" in those situations, they have every moral right to say "like hello you're going to do THAT."

Old 01-01-2017, 07:52 AM

10,225 posts, read 7,589,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Another day, another meltdown on an airline flight.
I couldn't tell what happened. The video is after the disturbance. But from what I can tell, these are trashy people who should be charged with something for interfering with the transportation of all those people and interfering with a flight. The airline has a ton of expenses caused by this couple, and others' arrival times are delayed a lot, which can present problems for them.

Old 01-01-2017, 08:02 AM

10,225 posts, read 7,589,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
The female passenger was denied a trip to the bathroom shortly after take-off. I can't find the reason, but the news media reports that that's what set everything off.

When you have to go, you have to go! I'd be angry too.

Couple Arrested After Disrupting Delta Flight From MSP To LAX « WCCO | CBS Minnesota
There are rules about that. You can't go walking around during takeoff and landing, and just before and after. Just like you can't use your cell phone and such.

It's a matter of safety. Those are the rules.

What's stupid is the couple causing a scene and disruption and thinking that would help. She STILL didn't get to go to the bathroom, did she? And there it was, a long time later, where she was being arrested, STILL not having gone to the bathroom. So I deduce she didn't really have to go. Guessing she was drunk or high and didn't like not being able to do anything she wanted to do....a problem with authority figures.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events