Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2016, 09:14 AM

28,113 posts, read 63,642,682 times

Advertisements

I need to go from the SF Bay Area to Washington for work on occasion...

If I have the time or need to bring items with me I now drive.

It's 5 hours door to door flying with parking and car rental or 12 driving taking whatever I need with me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2016, 09:52 AM

451 posts, read 235,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
I don't know. I would have to watch the video, which I will admit I did not, but it seems anymore anything is a "disruption" if you do anything at all other than Goose-Step like you're a nice little comrade and the airline crew are Joseph Stalin. I totally agree that people shouldn't let drama mess up other people's lives, but sometimes I get the sense that it's like we're little kids in class having to mind the teacher or like it's the atmosphere of the "Soup Nazi" in "Seinfeld." No one wants to be treated that way, flying should be pleasant and everyone should be pleasant to everyone period.

Then again, I've flown three times in my life, twice in 2004 and once in 2007, with no issues, so I don't have much experience to base my thoughts on.

Moderator cut: .A "disruption" of any kind aboard a commercial flight is a serious matter. Unfortunately people with mental issues are allowed to fly.
When you board a commercial flight...find your seat; stow your carry on; put on your seat belt; and shut the eff up. If that is too much for some people .......DON'T FLY!! The rest of us do not need your drama.
Seems simple enough.
A little dramatic comparing a flight crew to Joseph Stalin. Issues.

Last edited by toosie; 12-31-2016 at 01:18 PM.. Reason: Inflammatory

Old 12-31-2016, 09:57 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,858,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
I dread flying on planes these days seem so overcrowded
They are never, ever overcrowded. They can be crowded, of course, but never overcrowded. Every person has a seat (crowded). There are no people sitting in the aisles without seats (overcrowded).

Old 12-31-2016, 10:27 AM

3,205 posts, read 2,621,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny DeSurf View Post
you know I never see the police on my flights. How many were there on this plane? 4 or 5? I had no idea so many police were on each flights these days.... Did you?
This was after the flight returned to the ground and the airport police were brought onto the plane.

Old 12-31-2016, 10:48 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,433,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin023 View Post
I don't get what possess people to do these kind of things.

Yes, airlines are more strict than they were used to be (like pre-9/11) regarding how they define and react to 'disruptions' and threats, but I really do think the amount of unruly passengers has increased in recent years. There are a lot more people flying now than there were even 20 years ago, planes are more crowded, less leg room, meals rarely served on domestic flights, etc. so that will raise the stress level considerably.

I hate flying now---it used to be a almost a joy before 9/11, but these days it is more akin to a flying greyhound bus. I find myself driving up and down the east coast much more than flying now...far more pleasurable for me.
Have you taken the Greyhound bus lately? It's much nicer than flying these days. I take it a few times a year. The bus has comfortable reclining seats with foot rests, it's always clean, it makes stops so you can buy your own snacks rather than putting up with airline food when it's even available and you can stretch your legs, there are bathrooms on the bus and at the stops. You can sight-see if you're in a nice area. And the buses have free WiFi. You can safely use your electronic devices any way you want.

I only once had a problem with a pesty male passenger back in the 70's who wanted a rendezvous after we arrived at our destination. I told him to get lost. Never had a problem with any passenger on any other trip again.

And it's cheap. I don't know as to whether or not the bus is slower than a plane at times. When you have to add hours delays to your air travel, it could just possibly even out in some cases.

Give me the bus over the the airlines any day.

Old 12-31-2016, 10:59 AM

1,156 posts, read 940,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
I don't know. I would have to watch the video, which I will admit I did not, but it seems anymore anything is a "disruption" if you do anything at all other than Goose-Step like you're a nice little comrade and the airline crew are Joseph Stalin. I totally agree that people shouldn't let drama mess up other people's lives, but sometimes I get the sense that it's like we're little kids in class having to mind the teacher or like it's the atmosphere of the "Soup Nazi" in "Seinfeld." No one wants to be treated that way, flying should be pleasant and everyone should be pleasant to everyone period.

Then again, I've flown three times in my life, twice in 2004 and once in 2007, with no issues, so I don't have much experience to base my thoughts on.
I appreciate you pointing out how uninformed your opinion is here. The deal is that even as an adult, there are times where, in a civilized society, others have authority over you. On a plane you listen to the flight crew, it's not a choice to decide what you will and will not obey. This is for the safety of every one. Rational adults are able to function without feeling persecuted.

Old 12-31-2016, 11:00 AM

3,734 posts, read 5,766,785 times
The most disgusting thing about that video (aside from the barking dog), was that filthy pompadour greasemop on top of the guy's head. Why would anyone CHOOSE to have a hairdo like that?

Old 12-31-2016, 12:48 PM

20 posts, read 11,342 times
Default life is what it is

Quote:
Originally Posted by longneckone View Post
[/color]
^^^^^^
To Pollyana

Do don't drive much either do you? And If you don't Lucky you fer sure

Old 12-31-2016, 12:50 PM

20 posts, read 11,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisetheworld View Post
So what? Go in your pants. These are the people in the airport bar that need to chug 5 beers an hour before a flight and then are all peeved cuz their bladder is about to explode. How about a little "planning?"
"Gee I will be flying within the hour.....maybe it's NOT a good idea to have 5 beers before the flight?"
And look at them now. An arrest. A huge fine. Possible no fly list. Possible expensive lawyer fees.
You can't fix stupid.
And a rich Lawyer

Old 12-31-2016, 12:58 PM

50,242 posts, read 46,997,454 times
They need to start letting passengers sucker punch these morons as they are getting yanked off the plane. I hope they are banned from flying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events