Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2017, 01:24 AM

983 posts, read 739,500 times

Advertisements

Adrian Derbyshire shares last moments with daughter Julia in bid to end online bullying | Metro News

Quote:
Adrian Derbyshire, 42, took the pictures minutes before 16-year-old Julia’s life support was switched off. He had found his daughter collapsed at home in Warrington after she attempted to hang herself because she was targeted by online bullies.
Very sad. More should be done to help these people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2017, 04:21 AM

16,294 posts, read 10,438,365 times
I often wonder if the cowards who do the bullying feel any emotion when their actions lead to this sort of tragedy.

Old 03-12-2017, 06:06 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,866,641 times
No they have NO FEELINGS.... They just laugh and make fun of the person even more for doing it...

Very sad

Old 03-12-2017, 10:26 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,582,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marleinie View Post

More should be done to prosecute bullying. These kids wouldn't be needing help if the law held bullies accountable.

Old 03-12-2017, 10:54 AM

4,902 posts, read 4,221,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
I often wonder if the cowards who do the bullying feel any emotion when their actions lead to this sort of tragedy.
I think they feel quite pleasd with themselves.

Old 03-12-2017, 10:58 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,841,578 times
Not supporting the bullies, but, why still be online if being bullied? There is no law that someone must be engaged in their social media accounts. All she has to do is create new ones and that is it, lines of communication cut.

Seems she had other issues, as she went out of her way to be online, even going to self-harm groups.

Nothing in the article described the bullying, many people proclaim anything negative as bullying.

I think the online bullying thing is an excuse, she would have done this no matter what.

Old 03-12-2017, 11:06 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,708,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Not supporting the bullies, but, why still be online if being bullied? There is no law that someone must be engaged in their social media accounts. All she has to do is create new ones and that is it, lines of communication cut.

Seems she had other issues, as she went out of her way to be online, even going to self-harm groups.

Nothing in the article described the bullying, many people proclaim anything negative as bullying.

I think the online bullying thing is an excuse, she would have done this no matter what.
I tend to agree. Online isn't a place you can't avoid.

I think the bully/troll label may be getting overused at times.

Old 03-12-2017, 11:12 AM

2,190 posts, read 2,327,325 times
I totally agree with boxus and Joe. The article states, "he was unaware she was still being targeted for online abuse and used a false identity in web groups that promoted teenage self-harm and suicide."

When someone takes their own life, there is a lot going on. Many kids have "bullying" experiences and don't resort to self-harm. It's easy to blame the big bad bully. You must learn not to be a target. For starters, don't present or make yourself available for continued abuse and harassment. Many parents teach their kids how to navigate through and survive these situations. It's not that difficult. The cases that are extreme require immediate adult and/or legal authority involvement.

Old 03-12-2017, 11:19 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,829,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post

You can claim you're not defending those who bullied her, but when you insinuate that no bullying took place, then yes - you are doing exactly that.

In fact, you do not know that she would have committed suicide anyway. Nor do I. We cannot possibly know. But for some reason - apparently out of annoyance that bullying behavior is not as tolerated today as it was in the past - you've decided that she would have done so. Just to absolved those who bullied her. Who you're defending by suggesting they didn't really bully her.

What a very odd cause you've picked to embrace.

Old 03-12-2017, 11:27 AM

4,994 posts, read 5,301,029 times
I feel for dad. Bullies are only a subset of the problem. There was more going on there. For whatever reason, it has become a 'thing' for teenage girls to attempt suicide. My observation is they take on some 'cause', jump in, become antisocial, and then when it goes against someone else's beliefs or they get too far 'out there', they are then bullied. The kids need to get away from the bullies, but they also need redirection in their lives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events