Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2017, 11:32 AM

3,137 posts, read 2,708,806 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvira310 View Post
What do you think it is? If someone Photoshopped your face on a naked body and implied all sorts of vile things about you and spread it online (where anyone who did a Google search for your name would find it, including future potential employers), what would you do?

I'm curious about your response to this. What would YOU do? If this happened to a business associate or a family member, what would you suggest they do? Stop using the Internet and consider the problem solved?
I am curious about his response to this also. It will be interesting to see if this poster comes back to answer this question.

Just "getting off the internet" won't help a bullying victim, if everyone at her school is still seeing vile images of her being spread around online and talking about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2017, 12:21 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,681,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elvira310 View Post
What do you think it is? If someone Photoshopped your face on a naked body and implied all sorts of vile things about you and spread it online (where anyone who did a Google search for your name would find it, including future potential employers), what would you do?

I'm curious about your response to this. What would YOU do? If this happened to a business associate or a family member, what would you suggest they do? Stop using the Internet and consider the problem solved?
If it's not a criminal act, what could I do? I would certainly stay away from the site/forum.

Although, I would probably pay the perpetrators a little visit.

Old 03-14-2017, 12:30 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,742,275 times
Why wouldn't the parents remove any of her online social accounts? If a child is being bullied online, a very quick way to stop it is to either close out all social media accounts or use a pseudonym on new accounts. If they can't find you, they can't bully you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
There is a solution to online bullying but people don't want to unplug themselves. For some reason people always go back to whatever places are giving them grief. It's a shame because it's not usually some well orchestrated attack on all levels, or even people you know IRL, sometimes it's just some strangers on a forum or fan site. We have to figure out how to pull kids offline and into the real world more, they can't just depend on the internet to validate themselves and provide them with social connections. They have to have multiple outlets so when things get negative in one area they still have other people to see and places to go.
That is exactly what social media is for younger people - a way to feel valididated. I agree that it is not hard to stop online bullying. Unplug. Find the "off" button. Also, it is the parents job to know what is going on when their kids are using the internet. That is also NOT hard to do.

Last edited by Three Wolves In Snow; 03-14-2017 at 12:48 PM..

Old 03-14-2017, 05:35 PM

1,034 posts, read 1,090,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
If it's not a criminal act, what could I do? I would certainly stay away from the site/forum.
Do you think it would or should be illegal to do something like that (publish vile/nasty things about someone, Photoshop them onto a nude body, etc)? Do you think that if an adult did that, they would get sued or fired (or arrested)?

Quote:
Although, I would probably pay the perpetrators a little visit.
So you agree that some action should be taken, other than just ignoring or staying away?

Old 03-14-2017, 05:36 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,763,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyewackette View Post
She was a CHILD. But you want to hold her to a higher standard than even adults can handle.

Exactly. She doesn't have a choice in the matter and the bullies know it. School staff are so useless at even seeing bullying and usually the only help they do give is "ignore it and it'll go away."

Old 03-14-2017, 05:45 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,822,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tassity22 View Post
I am curious about his response to this also. It will be interesting to see if this poster comes back to answer this question.

Just "getting off the internet" won't help a bullying victim, if everyone at her school is still seeing vile images of her being spread around online and talking about it.
She was no longer at the school nor even in the same country.

Old 03-14-2017, 05:48 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,763,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
She was no longer at the school nor even in the same country.
But still aware of her humiliation.

Old 03-14-2017, 06:09 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,822,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
But still aware of her humiliation.
The only way anyone in her school could be aware is if she made them aware. The article though did not state this, but it did not have much of any details, not even an example of the bullying.

Old 03-14-2017, 08:07 PM

42 posts, read 46,204 times
I've read this entire thread tonight and I kept getting this feeling of déjà vue. Then I realized...it was like reading a thread about a rape and the victim-blaming that always seems to go hand in hand with that topic, i.e. what was she wearing, was she drunk, she should have known better than to walk alone in that neighborhood...go to that party...hang out with those guys.... For some reason people just seem to lack compassion and feel a need to blame the injured party for their own pain. You know, can't happen to me 'cause I'd do this or not do that.

Old 03-14-2017, 09:30 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,392,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longhornspeakeasy View Post
I've read this entire thread tonight and I kept getting this feeling of déjà vue. Then I realized...it was like reading a thread about a rape and the victim-blaming that always seems to go hand in hand with that topic, i.e. what was she wearing, was she drunk, she should have known better than to walk alone in that neighborhood...go to that party...hang out with those guys.... For some reason people just seem to lack compassion and feel a need to blame the injured party for their own pain. You know, can't happen to me 'cause I'd do this or not do that.
This is so true. Some people blame the victim as a way to feel better, and that it won't happen to them or their loved ones. Some others blame the victim because they are themselves guilty of bullying or some type of harassment.

There is nothing the girl could have done to stop the bullies. Bullies are tenacious and vicious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events