Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2017, 03:59 PM

2,129 posts, read 1,775,975 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
People need to toughen up. This is not a world for the weak minded. It's sad but true. If you are out of grade school then bullying should never be an issue.
That is only true insofar as bullies shouldn't even exist. However that is totally unrealistic when it comes to the person being bullied.

"This is not a world for the weak" and "toughening up" are both attitudes taken by people who are or who have no problem with bullying - because they think it is OK to pick on people who can't protect themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2017, 04:10 PM

4,745 posts, read 5,570,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyewackette View Post
"This is not a world for the weak" and "toughening up" are both attitudes taken by people who are or who have no problem with bullying - because they think it is OK to pick on people who can't protect themselves.
Or maybe they think it's not ok and refuse to be bullied.

Old 03-13-2017, 04:45 PM

2,956 posts, read 2,341,983 times
I got through two pages of this thread.

Bullying exists because people allow it to exist. Look at the first two pages and people making excuses while saying "I'm not making excuses but..."

Look, if you try this crap as an adult there are consequences. It simply isn't tolerated anything like it is in High School and below. The reason it exists is because it is tolerated and there are no consequences most times for the actions of the aggressors.

Then when the victim lashes out, they are treated on equal footing as the bully that harassed them the entire x months or years.

The entire process for dealing with the issue is bull crap and encourages the behavior by turning a blind eye towards it and not punishing it.

Obviously this girl needed help and didn't get it. We should all feel bad about it and not make excuses but figure out ways to not let innocent souls die like this. We are way behind other developed nations for mental health and health care in general.

Old 03-13-2017, 05:06 PM

2,573 posts, read 3,502,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
Or maybe they think it's not ok and refuse to be bullied.
And you think all people are same and can do and will do the same It's unbelievable that just reading this news piece many can tell you that it wasn't bullying but something else was going on with this girl

Old 03-13-2017, 06:45 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,667,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyewackette View Post
She was a CHILD. But you want to hold her to a higher standard than even adults can handle.
Who's talking about standards? If you don't want grief from an online site, stay away.

If there was any criminal wrongdoing, then it should be acted upon, but I don't think the internet needs to be sanitized beyond that.

Old 03-13-2017, 10:30 PM

2,956 posts, read 2,341,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Who's talking about standards? If you don't want grief from an online site, stay away.

If there was any criminal wrongdoing, then it should be acted upon, but I don't think the internet needs to be sanitized beyond that.
So let me get this straight.

Let me take some pictures of you and your wife and photoshop you with some dogs, maybe in gay poses with your neighbors and spread it around the neighborhood. I'm sure you'll be just thrilled when I photo shop you doing a little kid or something terrible and pass it around facebook and everywhere you go. Maybe stick them in the grocery store aisles, put them on the windshields of vehicles in your neighborhood and randomly mail packages to your family with them included.

When you hear about it from your neighbors and friends are you going to be "Oh its ok, I didn't see it so it doesn't exist I'll just ignore it!"

or are you going to

"GO to the police and demand some action be taken" which it would because we are adults and this is the real world, not school.

Well this little kid got harassed and abused and you saying she could just ignore it is pretty stupid and simply enables this crap to continue. You know as well as I do that you wouldn't tolerate someone harassing you like that. You know full and well neither would the police. However kids get harassed like this all the time, they have no outlet or ability to defend themselves and they are far more vulnerable than an old coot that has 60 years under their belt.

We have a little girl that was compelled to take her own life over harassment and you come here and say "just ignore it". I doubt if i harass you like that you would ignore it, nor should you. Neither should she. It simply isn't right. So please don't offer up "ignore them" as a solution because I doubt many adults would put up with it happening to them.

Last edited by aridon; 03-13-2017 at 10:38 PM..

Old 03-13-2017, 10:31 PM

1,034 posts, read 1,090,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aridon View Post
I got through two pages of this thread.

Bullying exists because people allow it to exist. Look at the first two pages and people making excuses while saying "I'm not making excuses but..."

Look, if you try this crap as an adult there are consequences. It simply isn't tolerated anything like it is in High School and below. The reason it exists is because it is tolerated and there are no consequences most times for the actions of the aggressors.

Then when the victim lashes out, they are treated on equal footing as the bully that harassed them the entire x months or years.

The entire process for dealing with the issue is bull crap and encourages the behavior by turning a blind eye towards it and not punishing it.

Obviously this girl needed help and didn't get it. We should all feel bad about it and not make excuses but figure out ways to not let innocent souls die like this. We are way behind other developed nations for mental health and health care in general.
There's so much truth packed in this post, yet some people seem fixated on what the victim "should" have done, or the victim was weak.

Perhaps the victim was weak. That's a separate issue from why we tolerate bullying in school the way we do. More consideration is given for bullies and all the focus is put on the victim, what they did to "deserve" it, or why didn't they avoid it more, or how they brought it upon themselves.

I'll agree that there are probably more things victims and their families can do to avoid or recover from the bullying. But before we explore that, let's think about how well this would go over if this were the adult world. Harassment of someone would get you fired, arrested, or sued. Let's start applying that to these bullies instead of giving hardly any thought to them, as if they just "are" and we should expect them. We should expect crime and illegal behavior in the adult world, but do we leave it unpunished? No, we do not. We get furious and we demand consequences. Let's demand consequences with school bullying too instead of just finger-pointing at the victim.

Old 03-14-2017, 01:22 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,667,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aridon View Post
So let me get this straight.

Let me take some pictures of you and your wife and photoshop you with some dogs, maybe in gay poses with your neighbors and spread it around the neighborhood. I'm sure you'll be just thrilled when I photo shop you doing a little kid or something terrible and pass it around facebook and everywhere you go. Maybe stick them in the grocery store aisles, put them on the windshields of vehicles in your neighborhood and randomly mail packages to your family with them included.

When you hear about it from your neighbors and friends are you going to be "Oh its ok, I didn't see it so it doesn't exist I'll just ignore it!"

or are you going to

"GO to the police and demand some action be taken" which it would because we are adults and this is the real world, not school.

Well this little kid got harassed and abused and you saying she could just ignore it is pretty stupid and simply enables this crap to continue. You know as well as I do that you wouldn't tolerate someone harassing you like that. You know full and well neither would the police. However kids get harassed like this all the time, they have no outlet or ability to defend themselves and they are far more vulnerable than an old coot that has 60 years under their belt.

We have a little girl that was compelled to take her own life over harassment and you come here and say "just ignore it". I doubt if i harass you like that you would ignore it, nor should you. Neither should she. It simply isn't right. So please don't offer up "ignore them" as a solution because I doubt many adults would put up with it happening to them.
If it's a criminal act, then obviously the police should get involved.

If it's not a criminal act, then I don't think the State needs more control over the internet.

We're not talking about a little girl, but a 16 year old. Just stick to facts.

Old 03-14-2017, 01:58 AM

1,034 posts, read 1,090,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
If it's a criminal act, then obviously the police should get involved.

If it's not a criminal act, then I don't think the State needs more control over the internet.

We're not talking about a little girl, but a 16 year old. Just stick to facts.
What do you think it is? If someone Photoshopped your face on a naked body and implied all sorts of vile things about you and spread it online (where anyone who did a Google search for your name would find it, including future potential employers), what would you do?

I'm curious about your response to this. What would YOU do? If this happened to a business associate or a family member, what would you suggest they do? Stop using the Internet and consider the problem solved?

Old 03-14-2017, 11:30 AM

3,137 posts, read 2,706,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elvira310 View Post
There's so much truth packed in this post, yet some people seem fixated on what the victim "should" have done, or the victim was weak.

Perhaps the victim was weak. That's a separate issue from why we tolerate bullying in school the way we do. More consideration is given for bullies and all the focus is put on the victim, what they did to "deserve" it, or why didn't they avoid it more, or how they brought it upon themselves.

I'll agree that there are probably more things victims and their families can do to avoid or recover from the bullying. But before we explore that, let's think about how well this would go over if this were the adult world. Harassment of someone would get you fired, arrested, or sued. Let's start applying that to these bullies instead of giving hardly any thought to them, as if they just "are" and we should expect them. We should expect crime and illegal behavior in the adult world, but do we leave it unpunished? No, we do not. We get furious and we demand consequences. Let's demand consequences with school bullying too instead of just finger-pointing at the victim.

I agree with your post. I've never understood why a teenager in high school could assault another student and get away with it, and still be allowed to attend the same school with no repercussions, legal or otherwise. It's a criminal act. He or she should be considered a juvenile delinquent. There should be some sort of consequences, but there often are not.

Blaming the victim for being "weak" is a very old tactic. Many kids who are bullied, are bullied because of things outside of their control: their race, religion, socio-economic background, appearance, being too short or too tall, being a special ed student, even the color of their hair.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events