Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2017, 09:36 PM

1,034 posts, read 1,090,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
She was no longer at the school nor even in the same country.
And where she moved to, Google still existed. One Google search and now everyone in the new school and country knows her shame.

The only way to truly escape would be to change her name. AND, never be in the public eye, for fear that her former tormenters might recognize her. Is that the way you'd like to live your life?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2017, 10:15 AM

18,526 posts, read 18,744,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longneckone View Post
I think they feel quite pleasd with themselves.
I do too... this is the big reaction they wanted.. no shame no guilt , no feelings at all.. cretins.

Old 03-15-2017, 01:23 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,667,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longhornspeakeasy View Post
I've read this entire thread tonight and I kept getting this feeling of déjà vue. Then I realized...it was like reading a thread about a rape and the victim-blaming that always seems to go hand in hand with that topic, i.e. what was she wearing, was she drunk, she should have known better than to walk alone in that neighborhood...go to that party...hang out with those guys.... For some reason people just seem to lack compassion and feel a need to blame the injured party for their own pain. You know, can't happen to me 'cause I'd do this or not do that.
Not really a good analogy, unless the victim keeps returning to the rapist.

I'm not seeing a lot of blaming here, mostly just comments about staying away from sites/internet - something I'm sure all here would agree is a sensible first step.

Old 03-15-2017, 03:56 PM

3,137 posts, read 2,707,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyerland View Post
This is so true. Some people blame the victim as a way to feel better, and that it won't happen to them or their loved ones. Some others blame the victim because they are themselves guilty of bullying or some type of harassment.

True.

Old 03-15-2017, 05:17 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,812,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elvira310 View Post
And where she moved to, Google still existed. One Google search and now everyone in the new school and country knows her shame.

The only way to truly escape would be to change her name. AND, never be in the public eye, for fear that her former tormenters might recognize her. Is that the way you'd like to live your life?
Lol, Google is not some magical place where you just enter a name and everything about them comes up.

First, they even have to be online under there name, then the person searching has to sort out the numerous people that have the same name. Of course a person with enough patience and time may come across something, but even things like what school they go to or who they know is not available.

And as the article stated, she went out of her way to continue to engage online.

No where in the article did it state she was being bullied where she lives now, only where she did live.

Old 03-15-2017, 05:23 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,812,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longhornspeakeasy View Post
I've read this entire thread tonight and I kept getting this feeling of déjà vue. Then I realized...it was like reading a thread about a rape and the victim-blaming that always seems to go hand in hand with that topic, i.e. what was she wearing, was she drunk, she should have known better than to walk alone in that neighborhood...go to that party...hang out with those guys.... For some reason people just seem to lack compassion and feel a need to blame the injured party for their own pain. You know, can't happen to me 'cause I'd do this or not do that.
Disagree, there are things victims and potential victims (which is all of us) can do to help not being a victim.

DO you leave your doors unlocked? Do you leave a wad of cash sitting on your car dash with your car unlocked? Give out your bank account number? Even though it is against the law to enter an unlocked house and steal things, enter an unlocked car and steal things, and use your bank account to steal money, you still keep everything locked and your account number secured because it is common sense precautions to do so you are not a victim.

It is not victim blaming, it is asking why were not basic, common sense precautions taken.

Old 03-15-2017, 05:53 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,631,833 times
Quote:
Lol, Google is not some magical place where you just enter a name and everything about them comes up.

First, they even have to be online under there name, then the person searching has to sort out the numerous people that have the same name. Of course a person with enough patience and time may come across something, but even things like what school they go to or who they know is not available.

And as the article stated, she went out of her way to continue to engage online.

No where in the article did it state she was being bullied where she lives now, only where she did live.
Agree, unless it's very unusual name. Have her go by her middle name and make sure the new school does that as well.

There was actually two people murdered over this. They were harassing a young woman who was somewhat mentally slow, her father went over and shot and killed them.

But it was the same scenario, never got off social media.

Instead of just getting off FB the solution was to go and kill two people.

Saw it on "48 Hours" and was in disbelief the whole time.

Old 03-15-2017, 07:04 PM

42 posts, read 46,185 times
It IS victim-blaming.

I'm 57 years old and not part of the social media generation but even I can understand it's not as simple as just "staying away from sites/Internet."

Old 03-15-2017, 07:21 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,395,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Who's talking about standards? If you don't want grief from an online site, stay away.

If there was any criminal wrongdoing, then it should be acted upon, but I don't think the internet needs to be sanitized beyond that.
Joe90, after reading several of your comments, not saying you are, but you talk just like a bully. "Can't take it? Run away home!" Frankly, bullies themselves should be removed from society until they can learn to behave. The appropriate response would be to ban the bullies from using the internet - if they can't behave in a civilized manner without bullying, they don't get the privilege of interacting with others on it.

When you add in that leaving the internet will NOT stop the bullying because, as stated earlier, bullies, weak minded as they are, will simply make up things and post them on the internet for others to read and then take it OFF the internet to torture the victim, your statement makes absolutely no sense.

I have to walk away from this thread periodically because the people who are making excuses for the bullies and blaming the victim literally make me sick to my stomach. You all should be deeply ashamed of yourselves.

Old 03-15-2017, 07:23 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,395,703 times
Quote:

No, they do not. If they are not online themselves, these cretins can simply pretend to be them (it's been done) and make up things posting as them and also posting about them.

Being online at least gives you a chance to know that some monster is doing this to you and gives you a chance to stop it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events