Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2017, 06:07 PM

88,562 posts, read 84,755,078 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
I've never heard of the buddy system being used anywhere except the water.
The first time I heard of the buddy system was 1965 or '66 because I can picture being in my school and the teacher telling us this. We were told to use the buddy system for everything and not to go anywhere alone. It was also the first time I had heard the word "kidnapping". Something apparently had happened in the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2017, 07:21 PM

1,149 posts, read 934,439 times
I was a chaperone on a trip to France two weeks ago for Spring Break. There were 3 parents and 3 teachers. The teacher who coordinated the trip had no problem with these teenage kids going off on their own in Paris, Nice, etc! I was appalled! The two moms on the trip made sure they kept their children in site and I was the same with my niece.

Old 04-24-2017, 10:56 PM

4,902 posts, read 4,215,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jteskal View Post
I was a chaperone on a trip to France two weeks ago for Spring Break. There were 3 parents and 3 teachers. The teacher who coordinated the trip had no problem with these teenage kids going off on their own in Paris, Nice, etc! I was appalled! The two moms on the trip made sure they kept their children in site and I was the same with my niece.
I am afraid if I were one of the parents and saw the teacher permitting teens to go off by themselves I would have had a lot to say.I might have caused some hard feelongs but I would not have been quiet about it.

Old 04-25-2017, 05:49 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,885,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Tort law includes waivers to sovereign immunity by states (and their entities) and the federal gov't. Sovereign immunity, therefore, is not comprehensive.

This is correct. Brush up on sovereign immunity as relates to tort law, Dd.
And yet you and the other guy still have not addressed my support in post #75, you and others have simply commented on areas that I have not even addressed or commented on...of course there are exceptions!
Brush up on that post and then come back and comment Ruth.

Last edited by Dd714; 04-25-2017 at 05:58 AM..

Old 04-25-2017, 06:38 AM

17,400 posts, read 11,972,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Belize isn't France.
Actually, Belize is probably less dangerous than France right now.

Old 04-25-2017, 09:18 AM

28,666 posts, read 18,779,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
And yet you and the other guy still have not addressed my support in post #75, you and others have simply commented on areas that I have not even addressed or commented on...of course there are exceptions!
Brush up on that post and then come back and comment Ruth.
Looks like you're right.

In Georgia, folks, your kids are smoked if they go to public schools.

Old 04-25-2017, 09:39 AM

9,317 posts, read 21,000,428 times
North Cobb HS is a very Good School,

The area it draw from is mostly Upper Middle Class.

Old 04-25-2017, 12:44 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,363,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansProof View Post
An unfortunate case of parents failing to prepare their kid for life, just basic life. Like the bar can't get any lower.

14yo's should know how to swim. I mean common. This wasn't a raging river of hot damn. 14yo's should be WAY WAAAY past the phase of babysitting around a beach.

Mother was like "he was the only black one and they didn't even notice". So what are chaperones suppose to think? "Keep an eye on the black one, he might do something stupid"? Is that it?
Please! Even kids who know how to swim can drown. And even pools with adults have lifeguards - not just "kiddy pools". Let's require the kids to all to pass a survivalist course too...let's see, what else can you come up with?

The point is, there were chaperones...ostensibly because chaperoning was deemed necessary and could therefore be reasonably expected by parents. Is coming to the aid of a drowning child something they would reasonably be expected to intervene in - either personally or by trying to get help? YES.

Old 04-25-2017, 01:04 PM

102,203 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Looks like you're right.

In Georgia, folks, your kids are smoked if they go to public schools.
Not necessarily true. The article Dd cited pertains to cases of bullying, and teachers' failure to prevent it. That's a different situation, as it involves a judgement re: whether teachers can reasonably be expected to prevent the action of a third party.

Georgia law waives public schools' sovereign immunity in cases considered to involve "ministerial action", vs. "discretionary action" with regard to school employees' supervision of students. If the plaintiff in this case can convince the court that supervision of the students in their charge was a "ministerial action" on the part of the chaperones, sovereign immunity wouldn't pertain.

A “ministerial act” is “commonly one that is simple, absolute, and definite, arising under conditions admitted or proved to exist, and requiring merely the execution of a specific duty.” Murphy v. Bajjani, 282 Ga. 197, 199, 647

A “discretionary act” requires “the exercise of personal deliberation and judgment, which in turn entails examining the facts, reaching reasoned conclusions, and acting on them in a way not specifically directed.” Murphy v. Bajjani

Old 04-25-2017, 02:00 PM

28,666 posts, read 18,779,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Not necessarily true. The article Dd cited pertains to cases of bullying, and teachers' failure to prevent it. That's a different situation, as it involves a judgement re: whether teachers can reasonably be expected to prevent the action of a third party.

Georgia law waives public schools' sovereign immunity in cases considered to involve "ministerial action", vs. "discretionary action" with regard to school employees' supervision of students. If the plaintiff in this case can convince the court that supervision of the students in their charge was a "ministerial action" on the part of the chaperones, sovereign immunity wouldn't pertain.
Except that Georgia courts have ruled that supervision of students is a "discretionary act," not a "ministerial act."

Quote:
Georgia courts have consistently reached the conclusion that when school officials are
monitoring, supervising or controlling students, they are performing “discretionary functions”.
Payne v. Twiggs County School District, 232 Ga. App. 175, 177, 501 S.E.2d 550, 552 (Ga. Ct.
App. 1998). Furthermore,

[s]upervision of students is considered discretionary even where specific school
policies designed to help control and monitor students have been violated. The
rule that principals and teachers are immune from actions involving supervising
and monitoring students has been applied uniformly in cases where students have
been injured or killed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events