Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2017, 09:20 PM

29,532 posts, read 22,789,468 times

Advertisements

Highly unethical to say the least, by not advertising that you are using another restaurant chain's food, and marking up the price by doing so. Only after being caught by a customer, is the owner now scrambling for damage control.

And as mentioned in several articles, this is absolutely NOT the same as using packaged food products from companies that specifically exist to provide such services to the restaurant industry.

Long Beach restaurant under fire for serving Popeyes chicken | abc7.com

Quote:
A Long Beach restaurant is under fire after customers found out the restaurant was re-serving Popeyes Louisiana Chicken.

For the last four years, Kimberly Sanchez has been serving up breakfast and lunch at her restaurant, Sweet Dixie Kitchen.

"Most of my stuff from here is made from scratch," she said.

The restaurant's troubles started after a customer allegedly saw Sweet Dixie employees carrying Popeyes boxes into the kitchen. The customer then wrote a Yelp review relaying his dissatisfaction with having to pay a premium for fast food fried chicken.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2017, 10:34 PM

9,387 posts, read 7,020,254 times
I would have told the waitress man that’s Louisiana fast!

Old 10-19-2017, 01:20 AM

1,769 posts, read 1,238,407 times
this little cafe style restaurant is actually cute inside. i haven't eaten there but i have walked by and looked inside, i just haven't eaten there yet. it was on my list.

interesting thing to me about this is the owners attitude and responses to bad reviews. she is completely rude! the other thing is that she stated, to the guy who outed them for serving popeye's chicken, that they don't have a proper kitchen! yikes. i'm guessing a visit from the health department will be happening very soon.

she is getting slammed on yelp for this popeye's thing. but i think her attitude is what is going to do her in. she is very rude.

edited: reading further i see her son (who should be her PR person. he is better at it than she is. even he says she was out of line. she needs to shut up.) said health inspection was there today and all is fine.

Last edited by beachie123; 10-19-2017 at 01:48 AM..

Old 10-19-2017, 04:16 AM

16,382 posts, read 10,500,090 times
I read this story and at first I was taken aback as well, thought it was wrong. Then I read this article containing the following quote:

“We wrote it on our board in the restaurant, ‘Imported from Louisiana this week, thank you Popeyes.’ It wasn’t a secret. We use the chicken as an ingredient in a menu item we made, we don’t use their sauces or anything else.

California restaurant 'proudly' serves Popeyes chicken as its own, charges $13 | Fox News

Seems to me they were deceiving anyone, they made it very clear on the board displayed in the restaurants that the chicken came from Popeyes. It also appears as if they were not simply taking it out of the box and serving, they use it as a base for a chicken dish they serve.

And of course not having a "proper kitchen" hardly means it is a health violation, in this case it simply mean they do not have a deep fryer.

Old 10-19-2017, 04:24 AM

1,387 posts, read 1,077,561 times
Church Ladies are fueled by faux outrage. They love to dump on all restaurants. Mom and Pop operations don't get a break. Not sure that getting their chicken from Sysco would have been seen as anything better. Church Ladies hate Sysco.

Last edited by 17thAndK; 10-19-2017 at 05:08 AM..

Old 10-19-2017, 04:31 AM

130,936 posts, read 12,226,382 times
time to buy a deep fryer.

Old 10-19-2017, 06:48 AM

3,522 posts, read 783,212 times
i actually love popeyes chicken .. i`m more outraged that the place has the word " Dixie " in its title and you people out there have`nt burned it down yet . oh i forget .. wait a day or two and the fires already there will get to it ..

Old 10-19-2017, 06:52 AM

2,264 posts, read 1,493,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HOSS429 View Post
i actually love popeyes chicken .. i`m more outraged that the place has the word " Dixie " in its title and you people out there have`nt burned it down yet . oh i forget .. wait a day or two and the fires already there will get to it ..
The only one making a fuss about its name is you.

You're apparently very disappointed that no one cares. So disappointed that you're practically begging someone, anyone, to complain about it just so you can grind your political axe.

Think about that for a moment.

Old 10-19-2017, 08:48 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 26,055,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
I read this story and at first I was taken aback as well, thought it was wrong. Then I read this article containing the following quote:

“We wrote it on our board in the restaurant, ‘Imported from Louisiana this week, thank you Popeyes.’ It wasn’t a secret. We use the chicken as an ingredient in a menu item we made, we don’t use their sauces or anything else.

California restaurant 'proudly' serves Popeyes chicken as its own, charges $13 | Fox News

Seems to me they were deceiving anyone, they made it very clear on the board displayed in the restaurants that the chicken came from Popeyes. It also appears as if they were not simply taking it out of the box and serving, they use it as a base for a chicken dish they serve.

And of course not having a "proper kitchen" hardly means it is a health violation, in this case it simply mean they do not have a deep fryer.
WOW, another fake story taking down a little business. Sounds about right. The owner made it clear what it was and probably wanted to serve it in a better atmosphere. It actually doesn't sound like a horrible idea, but BOOM the media got hold of it and turned it into something it wasn't.

Old 10-19-2017, 09:24 AM

17,464 posts, read 15,602,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
WOW, another fake story taking down a little business. Sounds about right. The owner made it clear what it was and probably wanted to serve it in a better atmosphere. It actually doesn't sound like a horrible idea, but BOOM the media got hold of it and turned it into something it wasn't.
I don't see anything particularly wrong with what she did. It's kind of sad actually. PLENTY of mom and pop restaurants do this. In fact, I'd be willing to say nearly all of them do. I used to go to a Lebanese/Greek restaurant close to where I used to work. I'm well aware that the grape leaves were not rolled in-house. Is it worth fussing over? No. One can't expect a two-man crew to freshly prepare EVERYTHING. If it's used as a base for a dish they're making, then so what?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events