Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2017, 12:36 PM

911 posts, read 2,600,501 times

Advertisements

what's next? someone gonna call out all pizza places for using the same sauce from different distributers?

because thats exactly what it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2017, 01:05 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,458,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvvarkansas View Post
They have Popeye's in Ohio? Or California?
I don’t know about California but we have it in Ohio. Also in Oregon and Illinois where I previously lived, Portland and Chicago.

Old 10-20-2017, 01:22 PM

16,282 posts, read 10,421,470 times
This story had me craving Popeye's for days. So yesterday I passed up a Thai food truck because I just had to have Popeye's. And I LOVE Thai food.

Old 10-20-2017, 02:16 PM

295 posts, read 354,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastninja500 View Post
She shouldn't even use the Popeye name. Like you pointed out, that would only open up a can of legal worms.

Just continue buying from them as a regular customer.
Then on her menu, say something like "crispy, spicy, delicious and now notorious :-), Louisiana-style fried chicken .... freshly cooked at our friendly neighborhood kitchen .... " combined with waffles, home fries or whatever she serves it with.
I get that she's frustrated cause she worked hard to get where she's at but I think she needs to be more careful with her marketing claims because one day someone is going to call you up on it. On one of her SM post she even used the hastags "scratch" and "homemade" in advertising the plate with the chicken. She has since removed this posting and had to revise her claims of everything made from scratch to 95%. She should also refrain from making any claims about Popeye's as misrepresenting them could bring legal action.

Old 10-20-2017, 02:21 PM

17,206 posts, read 15,412,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
What's sad is those who don't see anything wrong with it. Suppose it was McDonald's Chicken Mcnuggets. Or just go buy a bunch of Big Macs and sell them as "Mom's Homemade Hamburgers" is the same thing too? Integrity is what the fuss is about. Whether they freshly prepare everything isn't the issue. It's lying about it that is. And yep, you can quibble all you want about how the board was marked, but it's still a lie.
No, it is not the same. She didn't buy a box of drumsticks from Popeye's and simply put it in a different box and sell it as is. She used the chicken as a base for meals she was making. It's the same as some who buy chicken from Costco and use it in their meals. Or how Applebee's (yuck) buys pre-fried chicken wings in bulk from a third-party. Or, actually, it's the exact same as your local pizza place: they're not in the kitchen cooking sausage and pepperoni; they buy that stuff pre-cooked, pre-made, and then incorporate them in their dish (pizza.) And they still get away with saying it's "home-made" pizza, made from scratch, etc. etc.. She buys pre-fried chicken from her favorite place and uses it in her meals. How is it any different? Would this be a story if she bought it from Sysco instead? I'm sure it wouldn't taste nearly as good.

Old 10-20-2017, 04:37 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,589,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
I read this story and at first I was taken aback as well, thought it was wrong. Then I read this article containing the following quote:

“We wrote it on our board in the restaurant, ‘Imported from Louisiana this week, thank you Popeyes.’ It wasn’t a secret. We use the chicken as an ingredient in a menu item we made, we don’t use their sauces or anything else.

California restaurant 'proudly' serves Popeyes chicken as its own, charges $13 | Fox News

Seems to me they were deceiving anyone, they made it very clear on the board displayed in the restaurants that the chicken came from Popeyes. It also appears as if they were not simply taking it out of the box and serving, they use it as a base for a chicken dish they serve.

And of course not having a "proper kitchen" hardly means it is a health violation, in this case it simply mean they do not have a deep fryer.
This.

Old 10-20-2017, 04:37 PM

3,532 posts, read 3,023,897 times
What does it matter if it's only being used as an ingredient for a different recipe? If you get a chicken pot pie and they used rotisserie chicken from the grocery store instead of roasting their own chicken would it matter?

Old 10-20-2017, 05:15 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,760,894 times
Love me some Popeye's!

Old 10-20-2017, 06:16 PM

29,521 posts, read 22,668,047 times
Even though I pointed it out on my very first post, no surprise people keep making the same erroneous comparison between what this woman did, and what other restaurants do when they buy bulk items from Costco or grocery stores to use in their meals.

Restaurants use bulk items like chicken and other name brand ingredients like Morton's Salt from stores to create their meals all the time. Nothing wrong with this at all, that's what stores are for.

However, buying food prepared from another restaurant and misrepresenting it as your own home cooked meal, and marking up the price, if anyone out there can't see how unethical this is, you really must enjoy trolling on these topics just to be that person that always has to stubbornly disagree against common sense. You know, just because you can.

If there was nothing wrong with what she did, then why did she subsequently feel the need to, after being outed, disclose on their food board that they use Popeye's? Why did she feel the need to readjust her claims of all her meals being completely home made? Why did she feel the need to reach out to Popeye's to get permission to do what she was doing (they haven't responded back yet)? These are not the actions of someone that thinks they did nothing wrong at all either from a legal or ethical perspective.

Old 10-20-2017, 06:43 PM

1,479 posts, read 1,310,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastninja500 View Post
Frankly, I don't see anything wrong with what she did.

I love the taste of Popeye's chicken. She used the Popeye's chicken as a base for some of her dishes. Then combined other delicious looking food with it. Served in a nice restaurant. At a nice, probably high-rent location. I'd say, markup justified.

Just look at the pictures of the location, the restaurant and the other food they serve:
https://www.google.com/maps/uv?hl=en...DU8Qpx8IigEwDA

Look at the other food they serve. The pictures look pretty enticing. I would definitely go and eat there.

I think this is just the news media making a mountain out of a molehill. Or maybe a competing restaurant trying to bring down the competition.

I wouldn't be surprised if this publicity will actually bring them more business.
From what I saw of the pictures of the food and the decor, I would love to eat there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events