Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2017, 07:13 PM

3,532 posts, read 3,041,535 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Even though I pointed it out on my very first post, no surprise people keep making the same erroneous comparison between what this woman did, and what other restaurants do when they buy bulk items from Costco or grocery stores to use in their meals.

Restaurants use bulk items like chicken and other name brand ingredients like Morton's Salt from stores to create their meals all the time. Nothing wrong with this at all, that's what stores are for.

However, buying food prepared from another restaurant and misrepresenting it as your own home cooked meal, and marking up the price, if anyone out there can't see how unethical this is, you really must enjoy trolling on these topics just to be that person that always has to stubbornly disagree against common sense. You know, just because you can.

If there was nothing wrong with what she did, then why did she subsequently feel the need to, after being outed, disclose on their food board that they use Popeye's? Why did she feel the need to readjust her claims of all her meals being completely home made? Why did she feel the need to reach out to Popeye's to get permission to do what she was doing (they haven't responded back yet)? These are not the actions of someone that thinks they did nothing wrong at all either from a legal or ethical perspective.
Does anyone have a picture of the menu description? Unless she says homemade fried chicken, then she's not simply taking another product and marking it up. She's serving chicken and waffles. The waffle has a cost. We don't know if she uses any premium syrups and sauces.
The fact that the guy saw employees walking in with Popeyes tells me that she wasn't trying to hide it even if she wasn't advertising it. The employees aren't bringing it in sealed bags or anything like that.
If her entire menu was based on the chicken, then maybe you have a valid point but if it's one dish, idc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2017, 07:20 PM

3,532 posts, read 3,041,535 times
https://www.today.com/food/restauran...eviews-t117782

Here's some more info. Looks like she does what most businesses do, don't say anything unless directly asked. I don't think it's anything to trip over.
The strips are $1.60/$4.80 for 3. Looks like they use some fancy jam, too. So throw in the waffles and $12.95 doesn't sound too bad for California, maybe $9.95 is better?

Old 10-20-2017, 07:28 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 26,075,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
It wasn't a fake story at all. The critical Yelp posts were very real.
Ha, ha. Yep, yelp ran with the BS. She was serving Popeye's chicken. So what? People knew what it was. People do know most restaurants are just thaw and serve or thaw, cook and serve these days. People need time to text and get on social media. What she did was just skip the thaw or the cook part. So what? At least she was not hiding it like most all restaurants do.

Old 10-20-2017, 07:53 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,081,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellob View Post
The fact that the guy saw employees walking in with Popeyes tells me that she wasn't trying to hide it even if she wasn't advertising it. The employees aren't bringing it in sealed bags or anything like that.
If her entire menu was based on the chicken, then maybe you have a valid point but if it's one dish, idc.
Plus the yelp review even says that he asked about the chicken and was told it was Popeyes's. They're not trying to hid anything.

Old 10-20-2017, 08:08 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,081,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
However, buying food prepared from another restaurant and misrepresenting it as your own home cooked meal, and marking up the price, if anyone out there can't see how unethical this is, you really must enjoy trolling on these topics just to be that person that always has to stubbornly disagree against common sense. You know, just because you can.
Just because someone disagrees with you, doesn't make them a troll.

The restaurant is located in a historic building. She is not allowed to have a fryer. She serves southern inspired food, so her customers kept requesting fried chicken on the menu. Instead of ignoring those requests, she decided to source the fried chicken from elsewhere. Yes, she could have bought bulk chicken tenders from Sysco for 5 cents each, but she instead wanted something that was better quality. She never claimed it as her own home cooked chicken. The nasty yelp review even states that he was told exactly where the chicken came from, so it wasn't even a secret.

The restaurant does not claim to be a southern fried chicken restaurant, or even claim it as a specialty. 2 menu items,, out of about 2 dozen have chicken. And that's only because customers requested it, not because She set out to deceive people.

Here's the menu:
Sweet Dixie Kitchen

Old 10-22-2017, 05:50 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,843,802 times
I hope people realize that 90% of the stuff they eat at restaurants is frozen or prepared food that is just reheated.

Old 10-22-2017, 06:29 PM

2,264 posts, read 1,495,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
I hope people realize that 90% of the stuff they eat at restaurants is frozen or prepared food that is just reheated.
From the way they talk, half the people on this thread think Popeye's has a flock of chickens out back.

Old 10-23-2017, 01:43 PM

718 posts, read 1,153,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulsker 1856 View Post
From the way they talk, half the people on this thread think Popeye's has a flock of chickens out back.

Old 10-23-2017, 01:52 PM

718 posts, read 1,153,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
This story had me craving Popeye's for days. So yesterday I passed up a Thai food truck because I just had to have Popeye's. And I LOVE Thai food.
Me too. Got a craving for Popeyes chicken because of this post. Wife and son too.
We ended up going to a newly opened branch. Nice, clean, new.
But we bought the chicken to go. Because we wanted to eat at a nicer place than a fast food place.

Old 10-23-2017, 05:53 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,843,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvvarkansas View Post
They have Popeye's in Ohio? Or California?
Popeye's are on every block in Los Angeles. And their fried chicken is better then 90% of the mom and pop places I've gotten fried chicken from in LA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events