Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2017, 08:34 AM

Location: Removing a snake out of the neighbor's washing machine
3,095 posts, read 2,054,624 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
Dark is dark. There's no way to make it artificially dark that I'm aware of. Time is a thing we created so your preference is what it is. It's not selfish if some like it differently than you.
By exercising DST in March, 6am is artificially dark! That's 5am standard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2017, 11:28 AM

995 posts, read 513,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrandK-Man View Post
By exercising DST in March, 6am is artificially dark! That's 5am standard.
6 am? Ha. Here, just before changing the time in the fall, and just after going back to DST in March, our sunrise time is 8:00 am. If that's not ridiculous, I dunno what is.

I say ditch this outdated, useless practice and stick with standard time all year round. States which don't like 4 am sunrises in summer can elect to shift time zones (New England into Atlantic time, for example.)

Those who advocate year-round DST like we had in 1974, should take into account of January sunrise times not taking place until 8:43 am. Nasty dark mornings. Ugh.

Old 11-10-2017, 01:14 PM

36,794 posts, read 31,078,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical_Thinker View Post
6 am? Ha. Here, just before changing the time in the fall, and just after going back to DST in March, our sunrise time is 8:00 am. If that's not ridiculous, I dunno what is.

I say ditch this outdated, useless practice and stick with standard time all year round. States which don't like 4 am sunrises in summer can elect to shift time zones (New England into Atlantic time, for example.)

Those who advocate year-round DST like we had in 1974, should take into account of January sunrise times not taking place until 8:43 am. Nasty dark mornings. Ugh.
Why cant we just split the difference. Adjust the clock 30 minutes and leave it alone.

Old 11-10-2017, 01:25 PM

6,806 posts, read 5,118,696 times
Quote:

I remember waiting for the school bus in the morning as a child that year. We stood at the end of the drive in utter blackness, not even the slightest hint of twilight.

Old 11-10-2017, 01:49 PM

Location: Removing a snake out of the neighbor's washing machine
3,095 posts, read 2,054,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Why cant we just split the difference. Adjust the clock 30 minutes and leave it alone.
It would certainly eliminate the sudden shock to the circadian system twice a year!

Old 11-10-2017, 02:29 PM

9,153 posts, read 9,534,796 times
I like light in the morning. Leave it on standard time year round, please. I was already getting a little depressed before it changed this year to more morning light. I feel so much better already.

Last edited by LillyLillyLilly; 11-10-2017 at 03:49 PM..

Old 11-10-2017, 03:43 PM

995 posts, read 513,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Makes sense, but it'd put us at an half-hour off-shift against most of the world. I suppose it'd not matter much - it'd still be better than changing times 2x a year.

Old 11-16-2017, 02:44 PM

1,018 posts, read 514,861 times
Quote:

That's a lot of places that would have a 4 AM sunrise in the summer. I think that's the whole point of changing time. So that we aren't seeing sunlight as early as 3:40AM in June on Standard Time, which is 4:40AM DST, Where I live. And if we stayed on it year round, we would have 9:00AM sunrises in December where I live. I think it's necessary to change clocks to put it in sync with seasons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events