Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2017, 04:08 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,467,928 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
Not just any moron(s):
The Energy Policy Act of 2005 (Pub. L. No. 109-58; EPAct 2005) amended the Uniform
Time Act of 1966 (Pub. L. No. 89-387) to increase the portion of the year that is subject to
Daylight Saving Time. (15 U.S.C. 260a note) EPAct 2005 extended the duration of Daylight
Saving Time in the spring by changing its start date from the first Sunday in April to the
second Sunday in March, and in the fall by changing its end date from the last Sunday in
October to the first Sunday in November.

You should send a thank you note to your local Congresscritter.
When I was a kid the clocks always changed back a couple days before Halloween. The anticipated darkness added an extra-spooky element to Trick or Treating.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2017, 04:10 PM

Location: Removing a snake out of the neighbor's washing machine
3,095 posts, read 2,038,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
I've never heard of a barbequer's lobby, though nothing that politicians do would surprise me.

I have my own theories on why they extended it. In the spring, Easter can fall anytime between March 22nd and April 25th. Before they extended DST, there were times when the "spring forward" day coincided with Easter. Of course, some people would always forget to change their clocks and "oversleep" and maybe miss church as a result. And at the risk of sounding cynical and bashing my own religion, Easter is the biggest money-making day of the year in terms of warm bodies dropping money into the collection plate. Loss of revenue from absent churchgoers would hurt more on that day than any other. Moving the change date to mid-March ensured that it never would coincide with Easter.

On the other end, moving the "fall back" date to the first weekend in November meant that it would still be daylight an hour "later" (by the clock) on Halloween, so that the kids could do their trick-or-treating in the daylight. Safety, ya know. Of course, what actually happened (at least where I live) should have been totally predictable to anyone who knows that part of the scary fun of Halloween is the darkness: the kids simply wait until it gets dark and then go out.

I don't know if these are the reasons that they extended it or not; but it's always seemed plausible to me.

You may not remember this, but I do: DST was originally legislated to begin the last Sunday of April. This also did not interfere with Easter's occurence, and because sunrise and set by then were already early and late enough, it minimized how much the effect of the change was felt. Sunrise was moved from 5am to 6am under that scheme. With the start point in March now, sunrise shifts from after 6am to after 7am, making it feel like December again, in March!

Old 11-03-2017, 04:13 PM

8,168 posts, read 8,520,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrandK-Man View Post
<>I propose a permanent half-hour year-round advanced time, to satisfy those in both camps: Earlier birds like me, and night owls who arise no earlier than 8-9am daily.
All you have to do is move half a time zone West. Your clock will say 6:00 AM but the sun will appear to be at 5:30 AM.
"Up and at em, ladies!"

Old 11-03-2017, 04:24 PM

Quote:
All you have to do is move half a time zone West. Your clock will say 6:00 AM but the sun will appear to be at 5:30 AM.
"Up and at em, ladies!"
Incorrect.

By reversing the clocks, sunrise and sunset will occur half an Hour EARLIER by the clocks, which is not the intention. You'd have daylight from 7am to 4pm in a lot of areas, which would pi55 off a lot of people!

My proposal is to leave clocks advanced permanently one half hour. March and September, daylight from 6:30am to 6:30pm. In December, daylight from 7:45 to 5:15. In June, daylight from 5am to 8pm. Subject to local longitude and latitude of course.

Old 11-03-2017, 05:03 PM

Quote:
True, but: You miss the fact that the time zones are wide enough that local noon, or any other astronomical event, can vary about plus or minus half an hour from clock time depending on which edge of the time zone you are near. Plus there is the variation you can see in the strange figure eight on your globe called an annalema. If you want true local based times it would vary by longitude and there would be no Standard Time.
We all appreciate the Standard time, it's the Saving part that sucks.
I live in CT. Everything celestial happens about 7 minutes earlier by the clock here than in Philadelphia, which lies directly across the prime meridian(75deg W Longitude) of our Eastern Time Zone. In Steelers town, rise and set are delayed approximately 20 minutes compared to at Philly. And states like Ohio and Indiana have no BUSINESS being in the Eastern time zone! lol

I was just using meridian times to simplify the concept of what really happens when clocks are advanced.

Old 11-03-2017, 05:51 PM

31,897 posts, read 26,938,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
Good! I was fine with the change until some moron decided to extend it into November, why couldn't they leave it as it was.

IIRC that bit of insanity was courtesy of GWBII administration. It was his idea as part of "energy saving", or some such nonsense.

Problem was that many computer/electronics programs were set up to the old start/end date and couldn't or wouldn't be modified. Have a VCR (yes, one of those) and it still relies upon the old start/end dates for DST.

Old 11-03-2017, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
When I was a kid the clocks always changed back a couple days before Halloween. The anticipated darkness added an extra-spooky element to Trick or Treating.

Cannot recall the circumstances but wasn't DST moved or something during the 1970's energy crisis? Distinctly remember going to school when it was still dark outside. This was in NYC and many of the mothers/parents were not happy. For a while Mom did get up and drive/carpool us to school, but that got old so we once again started walking the several blocks.

Old 11-03-2017, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvap View Post
Massachusetts is talking about not falling back anymore. This would put them in Atlantic time.They should move it back 1/2 hour and leave it. Mass. seems to have, whether good or not, cutting edge ideas such as Romneycare, legalizing recreational pot, and now this.
You forgot same sex marriage, gender equality, ban the box, gender wage discrimination..... *LOL*

Old 11-03-2017, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
DST was invented so that the sun would come up at approximately the same time in the morning, summer and winter.

It was originally done to help farmers, ranchers, dairymen etc., who had to get up with the sun whether they liked it or not. That was back when farmers etc. made up the majority of the population.

Now it helps schoolkids, commute drivers, etc. so they don't have to make their morning commute with the sun down. Sort of.

For a long time the clock-forward and clock-back dates were exactly 6 months apart (which only made sense) - 2AM on the last Sunday in April, and the last Sunday in October.

Then Congress got involved, and move the spring clock-forward date up a month and a half, and put the clock-back date back a week or so. I've heard rumors this was because of lobbying by the Barbecue builders' industry. I didn't even know there was an organized barbecue-builders industry, especially one with a Washington lobby. They wanted two months added to the barbecuing season, or something. Anyone know if this is true?

I wish to h*ll they'd put it back to "six months of each".

"Lobbyists for this provision included the Sporting Goods Manufacturers Association, the National Association of Convenience Stores, and the National Retinitis Pigmentosa Foundation Fighting Blindness."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Energy...2005#Criticism

Perhaps best summation on how DSL came to be: Daylight Saving Time Ends on Sunday

Old 11-04-2017, 03:34 AM

10,888 posts, read 7,373,369 times
I can't stand DST, glad we don't have it here in Hawaii.

I've even read that it messes up circadian rhythms (or whatever) and people have more accidents and reduced productivity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events