Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2017, 10:32 AM

1,020 posts, read 808,657 times

Advertisements

Hate it! My least favorite day of the year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2017, 02:50 PM

5,621 posts, read 5,933,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post

I liked the idea of splitting the difference and putting the clocks 1/2 hour forward permanently.
I've wondered about that. I'd be ok with that for Atlanta (which is already pretty far west in the time zone). Latest sunset is still well after 8. Sunrise just before 6 am in summer. Winter sunsets just before 6 which is amazing. Sunrise a little after 8 is what some places deal with anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBear View Post
When I was working 12 hour night shifts, I used to LOVE Spring and moving forward 1 hour. Only had to work 11 hours, and got paid for 12. Though in Fall it sucks because you'd have to work 13 hours, and you got paid for 13. But it was harder to do the extra hour...

They should just go to DST and stay there year around.
This was me last night. We actually split the hour with previous day shift so we started half an hour later (730) but wow was it rough doing the 1 am hour AGAIN.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17thAndK View Post
Not many are dense enough to believe that DST alters the actual interval between sunup and sundown. What it does do is position that interval in a more useful spot on our artificial overlays of time and schedules.
Thank you. No one I know actually thinks there's an extra hour.
I think of it like a blanket. If the blanket is only so long, you can move it around. If you have the blanket to your chin but your feet are exposed, you move it down. If there's 2 feet of blanket beyond your feet, you move it up to cover your body. Simple. You're not making the blanket longer, you're just using it smarter.

Old 11-05-2017, 03:04 PM

2,264 posts, read 1,483,680 times
I got up a half hour later this morning. I'll go to bed half an hour early tonight. Oh, the agony!

The phone and laptop and car and even the analog clock on the wall all reset themselves. I had to reset the clock radio and the stove. Took me about 20 seconds each. Such torment!

I think I'll have to call in sick tomorrow after enduring such misery!

Old 11-05-2017, 07:13 PM

966 posts, read 1,345,706 times
The joys of living in AZ, our clocks keep perfect time year round.

Old 11-05-2017, 07:31 PM

Location: Removing a snake out of the neighbor's washing machine
3,095 posts, read 2,040,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West Phx Native View Post
Imagine how much higher your utility bills would be in summer if AZ observed DST? lol

Old 11-06-2017, 05:25 AM

32,931 posts, read 36,341,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I agree, it's so silly. As is the premise the day seems shorter when the sun goes down earlier, which should by logic extend into both ends of the day if waking up in darkness. Not getting why people feel like they have to end activity when it gets dark, but have no issues starting the day that way.
I have issues with both of them.

Old 11-06-2017, 06:07 AM

276 posts, read 338,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West Phx Native View Post
Envy

Old 11-06-2017, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
I prefer DST because office worker culture in this country is obsessed with the 5pm stop time. I have worked for four companies and numerous managers and the vast majority of them mandated working until 5pm regardless of how early the workers arrived. I could arrive at 6am every day and I would still have to work until 5pm. Since I work indoors and the first shift, morning daylight is worthless to me. I want to experience even just a little daylight during the commute home in the depths of winter. Getting out of work in darkness is just depressing.

If office worker culture in this country became more flexible on timing then I could learn to enjoy standard time.
I could see Dolly Parton's classic hit being rewritten: "Working 8 to 4..."!

Old 11-06-2017, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17thAndK View Post
Not many are dense enough to believe that DST alters the actual interval between sunup and sundown. What it does do is position that interval in a more useful spot on our artificial overlays of time and schedules.

Well, the media perpetuates it every spring: "Get ready for more daylight this weekend as we move our clocks forward..." and every autumn: "Shorter days ahead as we fall back to Standard time". Why even continue a policy that only one half of one percent of people understand how it works, and is not exactly a 'green' practice?

Plus, adjusting our routines will help make better use of the daylight interval. As a society average bedtime has slowly crept toward midnight, and some cases even later, and wake up times correspondingly later. You can thank television for much of that. Like I said earlier in this thread, I'm typically in bed no later than 10pm, and up around 6 next morning. So DST is wasted on me, and I'm tired of having to turn lights on in March, October, and November to prepare breakfast!

Old 11-06-2017, 07:50 AM

1,387 posts, read 1,071,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrandK-Man View Post
Well, the media perpetuates it every spring: "Get ready for more daylight this weekend as we move our clocks forward..." and every autumn: "Shorter days ahead as we fall back to Standard time".
Is that actually tough to decipher? Work, school, and other schedules are not affected by DST. People who get up at 5:30 on standard time to handle their day will have all the same reasons to get up at 5:30 on DST. But the sun is in a different position, which is the whole point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrandK-Man View Post
Plus, adjusting our routines will help make better use of the daylight interval. As a society average bedtime has slowly crept toward midnight, and some cases even later, and wake up times correspondingly later.
People in this country can choose what time to get up and go to bed. There aren't right and wrong answers here.

Last edited by mjlo; 11-06-2017 at 08:03 AM.. Reason: Unnecessary
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events