Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2017, 12:32 PM

17,411 posts, read 12,024,506 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
To me, that shows that Depp honestly has no clue how much money he has (or doesn't have) and is the prime reason why he would have a financial advisor. It should be the FA's job to inform their client about their financial well being and help curb their spending if they are in the red. Instead, it sounds like they let him go broke.
But in the end, they can't forbid him from spending "his" money. They can only advise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2017, 12:43 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,556,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
The article said he bought in 2007. He might have made out like a pirate on those properties.
2007 was the height of the market in L.A , he would of made more of course if he bought from 2009-2012 or so but of course Downtown la has gotten a lot more popular too . Pretty sure prices everywhere are at least near the bubble highs or above for most neighborhoods .

Of course there's holding costs as it's unlikely he rented them out . HOA fees taxes all those years .

A lot of celebrities don't seem to be too smart in their real estate investments .

I wonder though if some buy properties as some kind of tax strategy .

Why own so many properties in the same area that you aren't renting out .

For example all the Kardashians seem to own several properties each.

Old 11-08-2017, 12:44 PM

10,386 posts, read 8,056,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
And I'm sure if they tried to put the breaks on him, he'd be quick to shut them down and demand "his" money.
All an honest financial adviser can do is advise (or resign in frustration). If the client still wants to do something financially stupid after the adviser has discussed the issue with him, well, it IS the client's money.

The only person who can rein in Johnny Depp's spending (so long as there is money left to spend) is Johnny Depp, unfortunately.

Old 11-08-2017, 12:46 PM

2,575 posts, read 2,093,543 times
It always blows my mind when famous people with so much money go broke.

Old 11-08-2017, 12:47 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,403,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crd08 View Post
It always blows my mind when famous people with so much money go broke.
Honestly...unless they are truly crime victims...I think it's hilarious.

Old 11-08-2017, 12:55 PM

10,386 posts, read 8,056,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
A lot of celebrities don't seem to be too smart...
Fixed it for you!

Quote:
I wonder though if some buy properties as some kind of tax strategy .

Why own so many properties in the same area that you aren't renting out.
Could be, but it's hard to see what advantage improved real estate (as opposed to owning vacant land) would hold over stocks and bonds, given that improved real estate has ongoing carrying costs. But I'm hardly a tax expert.

Old 11-08-2017, 01:08 PM

10,968 posts, read 7,515,147 times
Quote:
Will be interesting to see how this plays out.

TMG claims he Depp spends $2 million per month on his lifestyle. Depp definitely isn't a frugal guy. Wow.

-
The threat of foreclosure is just the latest exchange in what has become a bitter back-and-forth between the actor and his former managers, who he claims mismanaged the $650 million he’s made in the last two decades to the point of depletion.
Depp sued TMG in February for $25 million in a fraud lawsuit, in which he claimed that the firm was trying to foreclose on his primary residence. “As a result of years of gross mismanagement and sometimes outright fraud, Mr. Depp lost tens of millions of dollars and has been forced to dispose of significant assets to pay for TMG’s self-dealing and gross misconduct,” read the complaint.
“In essence, TMG treated Mr. Depp’s income as their own, available to either TMG or third parties to draw upon as desired,” the filing continued.

TMG later filed a cross-complaint against Depp, claiming the actor lived an “ultra-extravagant lifestyle that often knowingly cost [him] in excess of $2 million per month to maintain, which he simply could not afford.”
let's see: $2 mil/month for 20 years comes to...$480 million.
Perhaps part of their money-management job was to tell him to curb his spending.
Of course, that $2 mil/month is THEIR story.

Old 11-08-2017, 04:25 PM

4,573 posts, read 6,802,660 times
It's Karma. Here are a couple of comments he made in a foreign Country two to three weeks ago:

Quote:
“When was the last time an actor assassinated a president?” he asked in reference to the death of Abraham Lincoln by John Wilkes Booth in 1865.

“I want to clarify, I am not an actor. I lie for a living. However, it has been a while and maybe it is time,” he added.
I used to kind of like him. Now i hope he goes BK & can't find work. He's a drug addled POS. **** him.

Old 11-09-2017, 04:51 AM

13,301 posts, read 8,529,519 times
It takes a special kind of person to appreciate Depp's wit. I enjoyed those quotes!

TMG is following legal recourse for a default on a loan issued in 2012. Depp is counter suing. Typical legal motions by both sides.

Depp's current net worth is not the same as a lifetime worth. I think the two are being interchanged here.

He most likely does have addictions...His behavior seems to mimic it. Just hope he gets the wake up call...It's a tough battle to actively endure.

Old 11-09-2017, 06:34 AM

757 posts, read 844,733 times
Good grief Johnny, balance your checkbook once in awhile.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events