Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2017, 03:55 PM

6,138 posts, read 4,500,962 times

Advertisements

Monroe is not the only place this is happening. Blockbusting is happening in Suffern and has been for some time. I also read about a town in NJ where there was so much welfare fraud perpetrated by the same few people that they were being arrested and charged.

I'm kind of joking here, but I think this all started in Forest Hills Gardens when the city allowed them private streets that no other NYers could park on. ("Them" being residents, not Hasidim.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2017, 04:19 PM

28,090 posts, read 29,940,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
Mormons are not polygamists. Polygamy was banned in the Mormon Church around 1865.
Actually, the law banning polygamy was passed in 1890. (Did you watch Dateline last Friday about Warren Jeffs' daughter? Pretty interesting stuff!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
There are sects of fundamentalist Mormons who practice polygamy. The LDS Church does not practice polygamy only because the state of Utah was forced to ban polygamy to become a state.
Just to clarify, though... The "fundamentalist Mormons" are a splinter group who broke off from the LDS Church a long time ago. Both groups see themselves as being 100% distinct from the other, just as Lutherans see themselves as being distinct from Catholicism, the group from which they broke off.

Old 11-14-2017, 08:16 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,664,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Unicorn View Post
Oh and they HEAVILY suck on the Government Teat..... they use Section 8, housing grants and ALL forms of welfare... and use the BULL**** line of the Woman has NO money as the Husband controls every penny according to the religious beliefs.... yes I saw them at the Welfare office all the time. Part of my job shuttling.

NO other groups or person gets away with that crap. They grow as a "community" because they perfected working the system.
True - of MANY Fundie Groups including tens of thousands of the Fundie Mormons.

It's a big country and most people sit at home and watch Fox News telling them some African American somewhere is getting welfare - when the truth is Fundies are taking many 10's of millions.

Oh, many of them are VERY wealthy - they own B&H Photo in NYC for example (Hasid).......

BTW, I am very closely related (amazingly) to one of these lineages, but not a practicing Jew.

This whole deal of church and state has got to stop. No tax breaks and certainly watch the welfare. Hasidic are even hurting the economy of Israel because many of the sects...the men don't work. They just learn and pray all day and the government supports them.

Otherwise, more power to them - but the USA is about what you contribute to the society at large - not about creating a bunch of camps where you take, take, take.

There was an interesting article about one town where they elected themselves to the government and then cut way back on the schools for the "other" people while putting money into their schools.

There is an Netflix special on right now about Hasidic in NYC - they have their own "Sharia" laws....funny how people complain about Islam, but these people have their own courts and laws already.
https://www.vox.com/culture/2017/10/...-ewing-netflix

You have to wonder - like Trumpies yapping "speak english" and "if you are American, be an American" - what do they think of people speaking other languages, separating from society and taking welfare? Any Trumpies care to comment...remember, these are very religious people.

Old 11-14-2017, 08:19 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,664,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzie1213 View Post
Is this going to be a open door for no go Islamic villages in the US. I suppose there will be some lawsuits coming if we don't allow for Islamic sharia law townships. This is not a good thing. Do the hasidic villages have to abide federal laws?
Watch the Netflix doc - they have their own "Sharia" and courts and it is enforceable.

Islamaphobes are worrying about stuff that never happened while other stuff was right before their eyes. But - oh - you can't dislike Israel, so the preacher says....right?

(Actually, many of these people want nothing to do with Israel).

Yes, Hasid blood and DNA runs thick in my veins. Never knew it until about 2 months ago...but thanks to the miracle of DNA, we are finding out some interesting stuff. Next thing you know, they'll be exalting me.

Old 11-14-2017, 08:36 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,613,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post

Just to clarify, though... The "fundamentalist Mormons" are a splinter group who broke off from the LDS Church a long time ago. Both groups see themselves as being 100% distinct from the other, just as Lutherans see themselves as being distinct from Catholicism, the group from which they broke off.
I did say fundamentalists were the ones who practice polygamy. I said the LDS Church banned it.

Old 11-14-2017, 08:47 PM

3,532 posts, read 3,018,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
It will be two towns instead of one. That's it.
It's more complicated than that. Monroe is going to lose over a million in property taxes (about 15-20% of the yearly budget). It's likely to have a big effect on the town and many predict it's going to go bankrupt. People who own are worried about huge tax increases and property value decreases since the appeal of Monroe is decreasing due to the unstable situation.

Old 11-14-2017, 09:35 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,613,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellob View Post
It's more complicated than that. Monroe is going to lose over a million in property taxes (about 15-20% of the yearly budget). It's likely to have a big effect on the town and many predict it's going to go bankrupt. People who own are worried about huge tax increases and property value decreases since the appeal of Monroe is decreasing due to the unstable situation.
Well, NY has a property tax cap so there's only so much they can increase taxes without voters saying yes. The whole situation is a hot mess though. Ironically, the state is giving away money to towns, villages, cities who consolidate and merge.

Old 11-14-2017, 09:59 PM

2,837 posts, read 2,693,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
Monroe is not the only place this is happening. Blockbusting is happening in Suffern and has been for some time. I also read about a town in NJ where there was so much welfare fraud perpetrated by the same few people that they were being arrested and charged.

I'm kind of joking here, but I think this all started in Forest Hills Gardens when the city allowed them private streets that no other NYers could park on. ("Them" being residents, not Hasidim.)
Lakewood, Ocean County, New Jersey

Old 11-15-2017, 07:19 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,259,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellob View Post
I read that, but that's only half the story. What the article didn't mention was the corresponding savings associated with the reduced size of the town.

Old 11-15-2017, 07:27 AM

2,509 posts, read 2,494,440 times
I think that's better for Monroe in the long run
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events