Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2017, 07:35 AM

5,462 posts, read 3,033,811 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
The Hasidic community of Kiryas Joel reportedly will become the first haredi Orthodox town in the United States after voters in Monroe, New York, overwhelmingly backed a referendum on secession.

https://www.jta.org/2017/11/08/news-...as-joel-secede
I thought the first one was Wall street??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2017, 08:24 AM

1,409 posts, read 1,156,648 times
I was thinking a little more re this and it occured to me , wow, of a much more widespread and far reaching community that essentially there has taken over to informally create a secession that creates a barrier for those who are not of that group of people and fosters a environment that those who aren't one of them are put at a disadvantage much of the time.

Where I reside there is a kind of secession just not formally so but the reality is it is essentially the same---a little Mexico wherein those who are not are put at a disadvantage. Everywhere I go to just about any business I am met with staff majority are Mexican, at least half only speak minimal English where it creates a barrier of communication. Am I expected to enroll in a Spanish course and become fluent to get along in the world they've created? Also, so much reverse discrimination-- people who are better qualified passed by for job applicant who is Mexican. Went to have dinner recently and my food server stood there going on and on in Spanish to a coworker, in middle of taking my order.

Certain programs or services also will bump them to the front of the line.

It's essentially the same just without the formality

Old 11-15-2017, 08:40 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,614,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
I read that, but that's only half the story. What the article didn't mention was the corresponding savings associated with the reduced size of the town.
It's only losing just over 200 acres which isn't much. There won't be much savings.

Old 11-15-2017, 10:54 AM

3,532 posts, read 3,019,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
I read that, but that's only half the story. What the article didn't mention was the corresponding savings associated with the reduced size of the town.
KJ burdens the county and school system much more than they burden the town financially. I doubt it's better for Monroe bc the population has greatly diminished while expenses haven't.

There's a political group called united Monroe. I guess they are in bed with KJ and pushed for the new town. All I know is that the people who aren't shortsighted about being happy to get rid of KJ are definitely not in favor of this. Word is that town hall is already stressing.

Old 11-15-2017, 03:43 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,717,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Unicorn View Post
Oh and they HEAVILY suck on the Government Teat..... they use Section 8, housing grants and ALL forms of welfare... and use the BULL**** line of the Woman has NO money as the Husband controls every penny according to the religious beliefs.... yes I saw them at the Welfare office all the time. Part of my job shuttling.

NO other groups or person gets away with that crap. They grow as a "community" because they perfected working the system.
The poorest town in the US. Nearly half of all households report income of $15,000 or less. Nearly everyone is on some form of public assistance.

Most do not finish high school.

Women do not use BC. It also has the highest fertility rate and household size in the US.

Women stay home after childbirth.

Many of the men choose not to work and instead spend their time in Torah and Talmud religious studies.

Town votes as a block and in doing so gets more than its fair share of state and federal grants.

They were able to build a 60-bed postnatal maternal care wing where women recover from childbirth for 2 weeks. Medicaid does not pay for this. Instead, wealthy people from this sect who live in Brooklyn cover the tab. The wealthy also write no interest mortgages for the town's residents.

Israel has the same challenges with this and other ultra-Orthodox groups.

Old 11-15-2017, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlulu23 View Post
Here is a very informative little video from the educational website Jihad Watch.

https://www.jihadwatch.org/2016/10/v...-michigan-2016
Jihad Watch is hardly an impartial source of information.

About 3 million in the US identify as Muslim, 1% of the population. JW would have it's readers/viewers believe there is a Muslim under every bed in the US waiting to get you.

Dearborn has a population of about 100,000 of which 30% are Arab Americans.John O' Reily Jr has been Mayor since 2007. The 6 member town council is majority non- Arabic American. From time to time, someone will show at a cauncil meeting and deman Sharia Law. They are sent packing.

The first wave of Arab immigrants arrived in the area in the late 1800's. Many of these Arab-American families have deeper roots than their non Arab -American counterparts.

What's remarkable about Dearborn's Arab- American population is that the people hail from 22 different Arab countries and different branches of Islam. These countries and religious branches tend to be enemies in the Middle East, yet get along well in the US.

The " up to 4 wives' thing has been circulating via emails, blogs and Your Tube since before the 2012 election. Nothing factual supports it.

Ford Motor is the area's largest employer. About 29% of households live below the Federal Poverty Level and it is certainly not limited to Arab Americans.

Old 11-15-2017, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
Mormons are not polygamists. Polygamy was banned in the Mormon Church around 1865.
The Church of Jesus Christ of the Latter Day Saints ( LDS) broke away from traditional Mormons and abolished polygamy to gain statehood.

Those traditional Mormons who practiced polygamy scattered to rural areas and Mexico. Mitt Romney's great-grandfather had 5 wives and fled to a Mormon colony in Mexico. Obviously, there remains some who prefer to live in polygamy.

Old 11-15-2017, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzie1213 View Post
Is this going to be a open door for no go Islamic villages in the US. I suppose there will be some lawsuits coming if we don't allow for Islamic sharia law townships. This is not a good thing. Do the hasidic villages have to abide federal laws?

Yes.

Then again, a rabbinical law is used to resolve most routine disputes. State/Federal Law would trump religious law if there was a conflict.

The Amish are excluded from payroll taxes because insurance is forbidden. The Amish do not participate in Social Security, Medicaid or Medicare.

Old 11-15-2017, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
The worst thing that the ultraorthodox communities have done is drastically cut funding for public education (which they don't use) while legally directing public money toward special ed, busing, and other legal funding for their private ultra-orthodox schools. They're working within the law. They are mostly legally on Sec 8, food stamps, cash benefits. They don't abuse the system more than other groups do - in fact, possibly less. But they certainly have been caught abusing the public welfare system.

Their secession to form their own township is probably a great relief to their neighbors from whom they receded, since the ultra-orthodox vote in a block, as directed by their religious leaders. I feel very sorry for anyone secular who was zoned into the new ultra-orthodox town. But they'll probably quickly be able to sell to their neighbors' ever-expanding population and move.
At some point in the 80's NY state-directed funding to an Orthodox Special Ed School in this town. It eventually made its way to the SCOTUS who, in the early 90's, determined this was in conflict with the Constitution. The Special Ed School was subsequently closed.

This community voted as a block for Trump primarily because they want to divert public funds to private Orthodox schools, via school choice vouchers.

Old 11-15-2017, 06:03 PM

2,185 posts, read 1,381,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Yes, they're professionals when it comes to bleeding the best...just like those weirdo fundamentalist polygamist Mormons.
All the mormons I have met were hard workers. It's part of their religious ethics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events