Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2017, 09:16 AM

3,532 posts, read 3,039,710 times

Advertisements

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1625761404404070/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2017, 09:42 AM

19,313 posts, read 17,200,630 times
Wow! will this be the first self contained welfare state in NY?

Old 11-16-2017, 10:57 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,839,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
Wow! will this be the first self contained welfare state in NY?
It sets a precedence across the entire US.

Old 11-16-2017, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
It sets a precedence across the entire US.
This is a precedent we don't need, actually New Square is it's own village and they make outsiders feel very unwelcome also the FLDS communities out west are open but not receptive to outsiders coming in.

Old 11-16-2017, 11:41 AM

I'm predicting that this will wind up in court. There's no way that trying to create a exclusive town based on religion while expecting public funds isn't going to be legally challenged.

Old 11-16-2017, 11:48 AM

Quote:
This is a precedent we don't need, actually New Square is it's own village and they make outsiders feel very unwelcome also the FLDS communities out west are open but not receptive to outsiders coming in.
New Square is within a town. It's very dangerous to have an independent town and the access to funds that comes along with it. I wonder how they presented plans as to how they plan to support the town. Population is constantly increasing but the tax revenue isn't there. I assume they plan to get every federal/state/county grant, public funding, etc that's available.

It does put Orange County in an interesting position bc it's still a doable commute to NYC jobs and the higher incomes/tax base but I don't know if it's a wise idea for buyers. All things considered, I'd probably give more thought to dutchess or ulster. Though, if you can get a reduced cost home, it might be a good idea.

Old 11-16-2017, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellob View Post
New Square is within a town. It's very dangerous to have an independent town and the access to funds that comes along with it. I wonder how they presented plans as to how they plan to support the town. Population is constantly increasing but the tax revenue isn't there. I assume they plan to get every federal/state/county grant, public funding, etc that's available.

It does put Orange County in an interesting position bc it's still a doable commute to NYC jobs and the higher incomes/tax base but I don't know if it's a wise idea for buyers. All things considered, I'd probably give more thought to dutchess or ulster. Though, if you can get a reduced cost home, it might be a good idea.
You are correct and the relationship between the village and the town has been contentious at best. New York really does like having multiple layers of government to manage each square acre. Considering the double digit poverty that KJ has I wonder how they will pay to provide all the goods and services that a town is on the hook for. Better yet what will happen when someone tries block busting the neighborhood, should be a good one for the courts....

Old 11-16-2017, 12:31 PM

Quote:
You are correct and the relationship between the village and the town has been contentious at best. New York really does like having multiple layers of government to manage each square acre. Considering the double digit poverty that KJ has I wonder how they will pay to provide all the goods and services that a town is on the hook for. Better yet what will happen when someone tries block busting the neighborhood, should be a good one for the courts....
I wonder who will try to bust it. They can't price people out bc they can't support huge valuations. My guess is that they will control it so there is never any available housing or land stock. Can't attempt to buy what's not available.
I can't wait to get out of here. I was born in Gary, In and grew up in Munster, in. but I've never seen drama like this.

Old 11-16-2017, 02:57 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,839,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellob View Post
I wonder who will try to bust it. They can't price people out bc they can't support huge valuations. My guess is that they will control it so there is never any available housing or land stock. Can't attempt to buy what's not available.
I can't wait to get out of here. I was born in Gary, In and grew up in Munster, in. but I've never seen drama like this.
Bust what? The houses will never go onto the market. Houses will be built and people will be moved in from Williamsburg (or somewhere similar). The State and Fed will throw in their required funds and the Satmars will get their funds from the businesses they have across the US.

For example:
From Milwaukee to Kiryas Joel: Following Medicaid millions made on urine tests | New York's PIX11 / WPIX-TV

Old 11-16-2017, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
Bust what? The houses will never go onto the market. Houses will be built and people will be moved in from Williamsburg (or somewhere similar). The State and Fed will throw in their required funds and the Satmars will get their funds from the businesses they have across the US.

For example:
From Milwaukee to Kiryas Joel: Following Medicaid millions made on urine tests | New York's PIX11 / WPIX-TV
I guess I mean how can it get litigated if you don't have a plaintiff? Like you said, if nothing ever goes on the market, then no plaintiff can say they were denied.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events