Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2017, 08:52 PM

1,409 posts, read 1,163,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
They didn't know about. It's not like the restaurant publicized the hazard.
Why? They said it was obvious... which one is it? If it was so obvious they should've seen it. Even without an official warning. I take child somewhere and something looks obviously dangerous as they claim-- I keep kid away. Even frankly if it looks a little 'iffy' I err on the side of caution. When my kid was little and I took her to a restaurant with a horseshoe booth there was that small triangular space that even tho I didn't deem it to be possibly deadly, it looked like eh, probably not a good place for her to explore.

Old 11-22-2017, 08:52 PM

58 posts, read 50,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
They didn't know about. It's not like the restaurant publicized the hazard.
Probably because everyone else who had ever gone to the restaurant didn't consider it a hazard.

Old 11-22-2017, 08:53 PM

6,624 posts, read 6,577,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mondayafternoons View Post
I'm not sure about post by gouligann--- No restaurant or place of business can be completely guaranteed as safe. Since the rotation was so slow as to hardly be noticed, the 5 inch space shouldn't create a hazard that would be foreseeable. If a diner chooses to stick their hand and hold it in there as it ever so slowly enclosed and they get their hand pinched, well, it goes back to the whole idea of having to place signs everywhere "Please don't stick fingers between small spaces", Please do not run in store, Please do not touch fire in our fireplace- it is only for your viewing enjoyment.
Car manufacturers design power windows to stop a child's head from being chopped and choked, and I imagine it's from some kind of sensor.

With all the fandangled electronics and modern technology, I'm sure a slow moving restaurant can certainly be designed the same way. A few sensors here and there where needed would have stopped this from happening. Nobody thought of the safety issues and they SHOULD HAVE!

Old 11-22-2017, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
I'm sure a slow moving restaurant can certainly be designed the same way.
Ever heard of inertia before?

Also, this is indicative of how people want technology to compensate for their inattentiveness. That is, the parents' inattentiveness. For example, people want collision sensors because they tailgate. Or they want lane departure warning because they are swerving all over the road while putting on their makeup. An alternative would be to just pay attention, but that would be silly.

Old 11-22-2017, 09:13 PM

3,564 posts, read 1,934,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingthru View Post

Also, this is indicative of how people want technology to compensate for their inattentiveness. That is, the parents' inattentiveness. For example, people want collision sensors because they tailgate. Or they want lane departure warning because they are swerving all over the road while putting on their makeup. An alternative would be to just pay attention, but that would be silly.
People want seatbelts
People want airbags
People want impact resistant design

It's almost like people want technology because it can improve our lives and make them safer.
How silly

Old 11-22-2017, 09:15 PM

3,564 posts, read 1,934,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
Nobody thought of the safety issues and they SHOULD HAVE!
I imagine this will be what the trial is about - Should anyone have seen this coming?

Glad you've figured it out beforehand.

Old 11-22-2017, 09:23 PM

3,251 posts, read 2,565,748 times

That whole building is a moving part that needs guarding in place to prevent injury. If not for the patrons, then for the employees.

Old 11-22-2017, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBeisbol View Post
People want seatbelts
People want airbags
People want impact resistant design

It's almost like people want technology because it can improve our lives and make them safer.
How silly
Actually, that makes my point for me. People have been trained to be terrified of driving without a seatbelt. I always ask people this: in your daily life, how often have you been in a car accident? Just wondering. Is it daily? Because I said to someone that you will most like have no problem driving a car without a seatbelt or airbag. Statistically speaking, that is, which is science and math. And they didn't believe me.

Old 11-23-2017, 01:57 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,538,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
It's not a 3 inch "rise", which a pedestrian should be able to handle safely.

It's a 3 inch "step up" which is very easy to overlook and not predictable on a sidewalk.

If that hazard happened due to cracking earth/whatever within the last month or so and the city hasn't had a chance to deal with it, that's one thing. But if there were numerous reports to the city that this is a hazard and a citizen has witnessed and reported many people tripping on it, that's another.

Remember that scene in Jaws, after the Kitner boy was eaten by a shark on July 4? He and his mom were at the beach, where there are known risks. Sunburn, drowning, sharks or stingrays, etc. After he is killed, the mother approaches Chief Brody and slaps him across the face. She said I just found out you knew, you knew that shark was out there and yet my boy is dead. You knew. Chief Brody had kept the beaches open even though he knew a huge man eating shark was in the waters, because the business owners in the town didn't want to forego their July 4th weekend profits. The president of the Chamber of Commerce said, don't worry, Brody, she's wrong. And then Chief Brody says no she isn't.

So that's it. When you know there is a risk of serious injury or death but continue to operate because you don't want to lose profits.
LOVE that movie. There is a difference though. There had already been at least one death that they knew of, Crissy. Has there been a previous incident with this restaurant?

Old 11-23-2017, 03:18 AM

6,624 posts, read 6,577,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingthru View Post

Do you have children? If yes, you must have been the best parent in the world keeping your eyes on them every moment of every day?

Things happen in seconds, no matter how attentive parents can be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events