Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2017, 10:32 PM

1,409 posts, read 1,156,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
If you go to their FaceBook page you'll see that the entire restaurant was ripped out and renovated in 2013. It may have been a design flaw when the wall was rehung behind the booths or it may have been a fluke. It looks like it was connected at the top, but may have not been done correctly at the bottom. Thus the wall may have had some movement as the restaurant spun. If it was then whomever the contractor was and whomever signed off on the inspection are the ones who have a partial fault here. As to the child, his spatial awareness may not have been up to the point to understand how much distance is needed between objects to be passable. This is similar to the numerous photos/videos we can see on the net of children squeezing their heads between rails. They can get their heads in, but getting them back out is a problem.

If one looks at this video with a child caught between two rails. If we trade out the rails for the wall and the booth then one can visualize what happened.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndF2dabEa8U

https://www.scholastic.com/teachers/...ody-awareness/

Code for the space between the two is currently 8" or less, But depending on the locality it may be no more than 4".
On a side note the woman heard on the video is so damm annoying

Pruhany, it sounds like you are making some assumptions of your own about the nature of the renovation and what they may or may not have done, and what it's possible effects may or may not have been, from a layperson (I assume ) to boot.

Old 11-24-2017, 12:42 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,491,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingthru View Post
Actually, that's not the problem with that scene. She says "I just found out" meaning, she could have found out before, too. So in other words, she has an expectation that everyone else will protect her and she and her son can just wander around without a care in the world. Like, even if 10 people died and their corpses are floating in bloody water, "if the beach isn't closed, it means everything is fine. It's not my job to figure this stuff out. That's what we have authorities for!"
Hmm. That's not the way I see that scene at all. The mayor kept the beach open DESPITE knowing there had been a death. In fact he reports to the media on the 4th of July that a large predator (the tiger shark) that "supposedly harmed some bathers" had been caught, but the beaches are opened. After the Great White kills the guy in the row boat in the pond, Brody has him sign an agreement to close the beaches and hire Quint to kill the shark. The mayor, obviously shaken, tells Brody "My kids were on that beach, too." That's what it took for him to sign those papers. Bringing it back to the restaurant case, I was asking if there had been a previous problem there. Some things aren't obvious until something happens, and I was disagreeing with the poster who compared it to that scene in Jaws. In Jaws there was a problem that was going to be ignored until (quoting Hooper) "It swims up and bites you in the ass." In the case of this restaurant I'm not so sure.

Old 11-24-2017, 01:34 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,734,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mondayafternoons View Post
On a side note the woman heard on the video is so damm annoying

Pruhany, it sounds like you are making some assumptions of your own about the nature of the renovation and what they may or may not have done, and what it's possible effects may or may not have been, from a layperson (I assume ) to boot.
I turned off the sound and looked at how it was attempted to be resolved.

As to assumptions, there are numerous assumptions throughout this entire thread where one has to work with the facts available through numerous other websites in order to attempt to figure out what exactly happened. There are numerous posts that people are talking about it happening between the glass and a table when in fact this is false. Here are the photos of where it happened.

Family of Charlotte 5-year-old boy crushed in rotating restaurant files lawsuit | WCNC.com

If you look at the following sped up video you can see that just the floor under the tables and booths spin. The center core is fixed and does not spin. This spin takes an entire hour to make one revolution. The child had to stand against a surface for over a minutes to actually get to the point of no return. This did not happen in a few seconds. Which also means the parents were doing something else other than watching their child as it happened less than 10 ft from where they were.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9r0N2FUMLE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILjMZgsdl_w

Old 11-24-2017, 02:23 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,491,150 times
Reading through these posts again. This incident happened last April. The initial police reports say that the child had wandered away from the table when this occurred, not that the family was leaving the restaurant and Charlie was a few steps ahead of them, as reported in the lawsuit. The police report also states that the rotation stopped automatically. Unfortunately not in time to save this boy. I assume this place is similar to Reunion Tower in Dallas, and as Pruzhany posted above it's a very slow rotation. It makes me sick to think about what happened to this child and what his parents have been through, but I'm not sure that the restaurant owners and staff (yes, the staff are also included in the lawsuit) are completely to blame.

Old 11-24-2017, 07:58 AM

22,327 posts, read 29,407,323 times
I'm sorry but parents do not watch their kids these days!!! I blame the parents. How many other deaths has this restaurant had due to this situation over the years???

Old 11-24-2017, 08:18 AM

9,317 posts, read 20,995,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
I think the restaurant's business if finished, even without a lawsuit. Nobody wants to dine in a place where such a grisly death occurred. I certainly wouldn't want to go to that restaurant now. I'd be interested to find out how much their business has dropped off since this incident went public.
The Restaurant re-opened about 3 months after the indent, (Not rotating).

The prices have gone up, There are lines waiting to get in.

People, Children Die @ Disney World. They don't close the park(s) down, Go out of business. Disney closes the affected ride/area to investigate. If nothing is found wrong it reopens a the area when its cleared, (maybe a few hours later), the Ride would be opened the next day if nothing is found to be "Wrong".

Old 11-24-2017, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post

People, Children Die @ Disney World. They don't close the park(s) down, Go out of business. Disney closes the affected ride/area to investigate. If nothing is found wrong it reopens a the area when its cleared, (maybe a few hours later), the Ride would be opened the next day if nothing is found to be "Wrong".
Well....

Quote:
Disneyland Park Permanent Closures

Big Thunder Ranch Area: Closed permanently Jan. 11, 2016
Disneyland Forever: Closed permanently Sept. 6, 2016
Paint the Night Parade: Closed permanently September 2016
Super Hero HQ: Closed permanently April 3, 2016
Main Street Electrical Parade: Closed permanently August 20, 2017

Disney California Adventure Park Permanent Closures

Disney's Aladdin: A Musical Spectacular: Closed permanently Jan. 10, 2016
Diamond Mad T Party: Closed permanently March 31, 2016
For the First Time in Forever: Closed permanently April 18, 2016
https://www.undercovertourist.com/bl...ents-closings/

Old 11-24-2017, 08:43 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,205,977 times
Good grief. None of those park closures were attributed to an accident that had occurred. The contention was that they don't close down the park because there had been an accident, not that Disneyland doesn't ever close parks.

Clearly we are not all going to agree on this. That's why we have juries to settle it.

Old 11-24-2017, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Good grief. None of those park closures were attributed to an accident that had occurred. The contention was that they don't close down the park because there had been an accident, not that Disneyland doesn't ever close parks.

Clearly we are not all going to agree on this. That's why we have juries to settle it.
There is history of parts of the park being closed down for months after situations have occurred. Closing down a section of the park is not the same as closing down the entire park. And in the case of this thread, closing down the restaurant does not equate to closing down the entire hotel.

Old 11-24-2017, 09:47 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,515,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
Reading through these posts again. This incident happened last April. The initial police reports say that the child had wandered away from the table when this occurred, not that the family was leaving the restaurant and Charlie was a few steps ahead of them, as reported in the lawsuit. The police report also states that the rotation stopped automatically. Unfortunately not in time to save this boy. I assume this place is similar to Reunion Tower in Dallas, and as Pruzhany posted above it's a very slow rotation. It makes me sick to think about what happened to this child and what his parents have been through, but I'm not sure that the restaurant owners and staff (yes, the staff are also included in the lawsuit) are completely to blame.
Depending on state laws - there could be some level of negligence attributed to all parties and the parents could still collect. It just depends.

I remember we discussed this a lot last year when it happened in POC and there were some who felt there was a design flaw and others who blamed the parents entirely. The truth and fault could like somewhere in between.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events