Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2018, 12:48 PM

4,901 posts, read 8,749,963 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
I'm glad that human lives are a worthwhile sacrifice so that you can hawk an extra $20K from one of your flipped houses.
Ha ha, that's funny.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2018, 01:18 PM

1,885 posts, read 1,001,676 times
Better idea. Cob buildings and a community garden on a temporarily "donated" open property. Won't work in the city, but it'll work here.

The gardening will distract them from the drugs, and we could just give them kratom if they're really hankerin'. Who's with me??

Old 01-08-2018, 01:32 PM

7,772 posts, read 6,379,741 times
Buy them tickets to California.

Old 01-08-2018, 01:35 PM

7,772 posts, read 6,379,741 times
I was in Minneapolis one time when it was unspeakably cold and the cops were picking them up and taking them into either the station or the lockup.

Old 01-08-2018, 01:35 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,019,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurse Bishop View Post
I can't suddenly keep a chicken house or a dairy in an urban neighborhood. He was running a homeless shelter that was unsafe. Feelgooders don't like this but it is not zoned for that and in addition unsafe for the homeless in case of a fire. What about neighbors who do not wish to attract thieves to their neighborhood? The homeless have plenty of other places to go.

he wasn't running a shelter. He was sheltering humans. I get it that some won't see the difference, but there IS a difference.

If he had taken in his sick mother in law, and the mother in law had to sleep in the basement, do you think the city would've known, or cared?

If he had taken in his newly divorced daughter and grandchild, and the only place for them to sleep was the basement, do you think the city would've cared?

I really would love to see this man get a lawyer.

Old 01-08-2018, 01:52 PM

3,658 posts, read 2,560,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
he wasn't running a shelter. He was sheltering humans. I get it that some won't see the difference, but there IS a difference.

If he had taken in his sick mother in law, and the mother in law had to sleep in the basement, do you think the city would've known, or cared?

If he had taken in his newly divorced daughter and grandchild, and the only place for them to sleep was the basement, do you think the city would've cared?

I really would love to see this man get a lawyer.
What is a lawyer going to do? He needs to get his house up the code for keeping people secured properly. If he housed them and all of the sudden there was a fire and they couldn't escape people would be complaining that his house was not properly secured.

Old 01-10-2018, 10:19 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,135,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by budlight View Post
What is a lawyer going to do? He needs to get his house up the code for keeping people secured properly. If he housed them and all of the sudden there was a fire and they couldn't escape people would be complaining that his house was not properly secured.
And yet the odds of that happening are vastly lower than the odds of them freezing to death outside in the dead of Chicago winter.

Old 01-10-2018, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by budlight View Post

yeah, that would be a consideration if he was running a BUSINESS. But such is not the case.

He invited people into his HOME and didn't charge any of them any money.

Old 01-10-2018, 10:53 AM

And I would believe a constitutional lawyer would try to make the case that the man has a right to peaceful assembly, meaning he can have people in his home.

Old 01-10-2018, 11:02 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,800,858 times
I see no problem with him having whomever he'd like in his home. I do see an issue with having a permanent Port-a-Potty on the lawn. Typically having one is temporary for construction and requires a permit.

And, why did he even have the Port-a-Potty? When I invite guests to my home, I let them use my bathrooms. Why didn't he just do that?

Last edited by UNC4Me; 01-10-2018 at 11:12 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events