Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2018, 04:14 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,207,078 times

Advertisements

Sounds like some volunteers to help bring his basement up to code would be helpful. As well as other people who do have compliant basements should step up.
Or, he should let them come upstairs and sleep on the floors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2018, 07:30 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,468,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
Sounds like some volunteers to help bring his basement up to code would be helpful. As well as other people who do have compliant basements should step up.
Or, he should let them come upstairs and sleep on the floors.
Do you really think the government would let them get away with that?

Old 01-05-2018, 07:43 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,879,617 times
Code or not, I don't want my neighbors to have a slumber party with a bunch of strangers in their basement. I have kids. I would be bothered if my neighbor was attracting homeless men to my neighborhood at night time. Well any time. I am not anti-homeless...but there are reasons why some of them live that life style. I know. I used to be homeless and got to know other homeless people. While there were some that just had bad luck, some just led bad lives.

Anyways, I guess I should go backwards and read the whole thread. This was just my first reaction so it might night apply.

Old 01-05-2018, 09:27 AM

4,901 posts, read 8,749,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post

And a porta-potty? When is that okay to have in your yard?
Yep. If the guy wants to live like this he should get a place out in the country where there are no zoning laws.

Old 01-05-2018, 09:30 AM

10,448 posts, read 4,034,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
Code or not, I don't want my neighbors to have a slumber party with a bunch of strangers in their basement. I have kids. I would be bothered if my neighbor was attracting homeless men to my neighborhood at night time. Well any time. I am not anti-homeless...but there are reasons why some of them live that life style. I know. I used to be homeless and got to know other homeless people. While there were some that just had bad luck, some just led bad lives.

Anyways, I guess I should go backwards and read the whole thread. This was just my first reaction so it might night apply.
Oh dear, if you only knew what really goes behind other people's closed doors. Either way, just because you have kids, doesn't give you the right to dictate what others do with their properties. If I want to invite a bunch of people I just met at the dance club to have a few drinks at my place, I am allowed to. Regardless if my neighbors have kids or not!

Old 01-05-2018, 09:30 AM

4,901 posts, read 8,749,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post

Old 01-05-2018, 09:53 AM

78,347 posts, read 60,547,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
"Schiller said city officials and police officers came to his home with a warrant Tuesday and went into his basement."

Why do we continue to make excuses for this type of Nazi rule and governing power?

Somewhere between protecting our rights and making excuses for government bondage, we've lost our homes and property to the American Nazis.

"Let 'em freeze" should be their new motto.
The Nazi hyperbole has gotten old. If it were really Nazi actions they'd have already shipped those guys off to a work camp, there would be no news story about it and everyone posting negatively about it would likely be getting a visit from the local authorities.

Old 01-05-2018, 10:21 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,101,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jteskal View Post
Thought the same thing. Guess they are better off out on the streets.
It's not a binary choice. The best choice is to steer that vulnerable population to a facility that will not only shelter them, but also help them. Spending a night in someone's basement does nothing to get them a step closer to no longer being homeless.

Old 01-05-2018, 11:00 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,938,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
It's not a binary choice. The best choice is to steer that vulnerable population to a facility that will not only shelter them, but also help them. Spending a night in someone's basement does nothing to get them a step closer to no longer being homeless.
When it's -20 degrees, they don't need a 10-year govt-approved plan to end homelessness (that never works by design but I digress).

They need not to freeze to death.

Old 01-05-2018, 11:09 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,596,551 times
I wonder how many of the people here who don't believe in property rights for Mr. Schiller believe that theirs are valid—if they own any property.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events