Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2018, 11:32 AM

29,266 posts, read 16,764,479 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by budlight View Post
Why in the world would they have 40 cats? They obviously cannot take care of themselves or their children. Why take on the added burden. Something is missing here.
Well, whatever the number of cats they started with they all kept procreating.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2018, 11:39 AM

1,879 posts, read 1,555,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Well, whatever the number of cats they started with they all kept procreating.
Good point. But then they shouldn’t have had any in the first place, and if they had one or two cats before they became homeless, then they should have them spayed or neutered.

Old 03-03-2018, 11:54 AM

29,266 posts, read 16,764,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccernerd View Post
Good point. But then they shouldn’t have had any in the first place, and if they had one or two cats before they became homeless, then they should have them spayed or neutered.
We don't know how many cats they started with. I've read of stories that many people with "means" have many cats in their homes. I don't think this is so much about cats. It's all tragic.

Old 03-03-2018, 11:55 AM

12,003 posts, read 11,903,577 times
Just had a long post which vanished, comparing this family to the infamous Nauglers of Kentucky, who were found living with their ten (soon to be eleven) children in a three-sided "cabin" surrounded by filth a few years ago, though the dead of winter. The mysterious "fourth wall" the mother repeated referred to turned out to be a tarp draped over the roof of the shed, which of course lacked any utilities. They claim to "unschool" their kids, who receive no other education.

The mother grooms dogs - the father complains about persecution and politics and is fond of guns and is unable to hold a job. Actually, he doesn't seem to have looked for work for a number of years, calling himself a "house-husband" instead (where's the house??). He's very good at impregnating his wife, though.

The Nauglers lost custody of their kids temporarily, then bought a garden shed and claimed it was a "homestead cabin", and incredibly, got the kids back.

There's more - LOTS more - but much of the dysfunction parallels this latest situation. Be warned, it's a rabbit hole and if you once start learning about the Nauglers (Nicole Naugler, the mother of the bunch, has a multitude of Facebook pages and blogs) it can absorb hours if not days of your time.

It's just so sad for kids who are forced to live in such circumstances.

Old 03-03-2018, 12:18 PM

2,709 posts, read 2,283,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Interesting. This is the exact condition of the slums bordering the Mumbai airport in India. They look worse than this, actually, because they're crowded in there like teeth. But the elite of the world fly into and out of the Mumbai airport and drive past this very visible deplorable condition, and since it's not in the US, it's ignorable.
We can’t solve everyone’s problems all over the world.

Old 03-03-2018, 12:19 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,376,135 times
Quote:
I doubt that any of the cats actually 'belonged' to them, even in the beginning. There could have been strays in the area when they moved in there, and they stayed (and procreated) because there was a food source. Two or three cats can become 40 very quickly, and if they had no money for the bare necessities of daily living, then they certainly wouldn't have had the money to spay & neuter multiple cats. They could have been animal hoarders, I suppose, but I think this is more a case of the cats' welfare being a low priority.

One thing though, at least they had a trampoline to play on.

Old 03-03-2018, 12:51 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,889,616 times
Default You don't want to hear it but it's the truth

This case isn’t much different than so many others that go on in this country in each of the states. It’s just another one that finally got noticed by someone. Unfortunately people don’t like or want to have taxes that cover government agencies that help individuals and families that are in trouble. We don’t want our taxes spent on this issue, and we don’t want higher taxes; nor do we pay attention to who is in charge of our government services.

I didn’t see any religious agencies stepping up here or individuals so it falls on the backs of government social services to deal with. Yet people yell because government sticks their noise into private matters of someone’s family and their issues.

You can’t have it both ways. Religious groups didn’t handle it, government didn’t handle it and most people who might have known anything about the family failed to step in. It’s not unusual, there are too many families and individuals out there and too few people stepping up to help.

We know what the problem is, so what’s the answer? How much did the government cut out of the social services budget? How much of an increase in tax refund went to the top 1%’ers?

Quote:
Feb 24, 2018 - Warren Buffet says Berkshire Hathaway's 23% gain in book value is mostly due to the new tax code, $29 BILLION tax cut windfall to Berkshire Hathaway and this is just ONE of the HUGE tax cuts to corporations and the 1%ers……………. How many others are there?????
Buffett says $29 billion tax cut windfall boosts Berkshire Hathaway | Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Old 03-03-2018, 01:11 PM

8,243 posts, read 3,497,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by budlight View Post
Why in the world would they have 40 cats? They obviously cannot take care of themselves or their children. Why take on the added burden. Something is missing here.
The cats were likely a few strays that adopted them and kept multiplying. Stray cats can multiply quickly.

And the authorities often exaggerate conditions. I've seen parents lose their kids before where there was just a few dirty dishes in the sink, but the removal papers said there were "dirty dishes everywhere." That's just one example of things I've seen them do. I wouldn't be surprised at all if they hadn't exaggerated/lied about the conditions. They may have even lied about the number of cats that were present.

If these parents don't have a decent attorney they will end up with criminal records from this and the father may end up spending his life in prison.

A lot of foster kids end up homeless after aging out of the system, so these children may end up in the streets as an adult. And thus the cycle will continue.

Old 03-03-2018, 01:38 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,903,577 times
For those repping me but saying "It's Kentucky, what do you expect??" in reference to the Naugler family - I am a native Kentuckian and a lifelong resident, and find your remark thoughtless and uncalled-for.

Like residents of all other states, the vast majority of Kentuckians deplore child abuse and neglect and wish that the emphasis on family reunification were changed to the best interests of the children. Many of us also wish that Kentucky's children benefitted by having better educated and better funded social workers who were not overburdened by heavy workloads that make it next to impossible to do their jobs as they should be done. We wish that our state made child welfare a higher priority - lip service is not enough.

I do not think these problems are limited to my state. Singling out Kentucky, or scoffing at Kentuckians, is not just or accurate.

Those of us who deplore child abuse and neglect are found all over. We all need to become more outspoken advocates for children's well-being and to urge prioritization of children's issues at the local, state, and federal levels. They are the future.

Old 03-03-2018, 01:47 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,381,989 times
Quote:
Yes...if they are truly that badly off, I doubt paying to have them spayed was a priority.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events