Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2018, 08:54 AM

29,521 posts, read 22,674,035 times

Advertisements

They get a new house

https://www.yahoo.com/news/m/5bade21...e-who-had.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2018, 08:57 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 10 days ago)

35,637 posts, read 17,989,189 times
What a nice story. ;D

Old 03-15-2018, 02:23 PM

3,205 posts, read 2,625,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
No, right. But the fact that this made news on the BBC (nothing gives British media more pleasure than witnessing American trashy behavior) is odd. They can find all the stories they want in Mumbai if they wanted to look at people living in total squalor.

I don't know why the wealthiest of the world can drive by Indian kids living worse than this and not bat an eye, but it becomes world headlines if it's an American family.

And honestly, no one here is trying to "solve this problem", and that's not what the story is about. This story is about open mouthed gawking at destitution.
You are really hung up on Mumbai, aren't you?

Millions of people living in squalor in India isn't a news story, it's a demographic.

One wacky family in the desert in California is a story.

Old 03-16-2018, 08:10 AM

3,631 posts, read 7,675,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RageX View Post
The charges didn't stick. So there will be no more jail related difficulties for them.

...but as most parents know CPS is frighteningly more powerful than any COP. So while the kids are technically in better housing they are all group home age. The kids are likely in foster care or a group home with people that don't give a crap about them except for the paycheck they draw from the state and, living with other really messed up kids who aren't much better than that fuc-ed up goblin kid who shot up that school in Florida...

It's messed up for those kids.
It's really unfair to paint foster care with such a wide brush...I have met a few (now adults) who had horrific situations with their families of origin and are thankful for their positive experiences while in foster care. The problem is only the horror stories make the news.

Doesn't seem that the kids in this story are better off away from their parent tho...just seems like an exceedingly unconventional lifestyle. Glad to see the parents now have an acceptable place and some hopefully a better understanding on societies expectations of appropriate child care in this country. I hope they are all back together soon.

I do understand why this was a very concerning situation for authorities but I don't think it was handled well. At least from what's being reported, these people didn't seem to have many options at least that were obvious to them. Jail and criminal investigation complete waste of tax payer dollars.

Old 03-16-2018, 09:29 AM

4,993 posts, read 5,295,317 times
Something that bothers me is that they were able to buy the house for $50K with Go-fund-me money. I think they are going to need more government help than that. I have no idea what the monetary limits are, but They don't have enough income for taxes, utilities, house upkeep, etc. They may have been better off just getting government assistance.

I'm a bit confused with them being banned from seeing the kids, but also the judge ruling they can have visitation. They aren't out from under the court sytem yet, but it sounds like they have a lot of friends. That says a lot about them.

Old 03-16-2018, 04:05 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,126,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
Something that bothers me is that they were able to buy the house for $50K with Go-fund-me money. I think they are going to need more government help than that. I have no idea what the monetary limits are, but They don't have enough income for taxes, utilities, house upkeep, etc. They may have been better off just getting government assistance.

I'm a bit confused with them being banned from seeing the kids, but also the judge ruling they can have visitation. They aren't out from under the court sytem yet, but it sounds like they have a lot of friends. That says a lot about them.
Hopefully, they get a counseling referral. Sometimes people just need someone to lean on for a bit. There are kids in my community that live in tents on sidewalks in dangerous parts of town, with their parents.

Old 03-17-2018, 07:46 PM

8,243 posts, read 3,499,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post

At his age he might receive retirement. If the house is paid for completely then the retirement would be enough to maintain the basics.

Old 03-24-2018, 05:54 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,576,488 times
My understanding is they refused 'handouts' before, but now I am sure they will take any benefit they can, to keep their kids. Food stamps, medicaid, and whatever is available for utilities and such when one owns their own home (which is nothing in Texas, but Cali is more generous).

Old 03-24-2018, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugrats2001 View Post
You are really hung up on Mumbai, aren't you?

Millions of people living in squalor in India isn't a news story, it's a demographic.

One wacky family in the desert in California is a story.
? There are a lot of people in the US living worse than this family. Tent cities with feces and urine everywhere. People live under Tunnels in Las Vegas. There are many, many more examples..........

Old 03-24-2018, 05:59 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VLQkdq74kk
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events