Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2018, 08:56 AM

6,835 posts, read 2,410,856 times

Advertisements

Going with the mental/phys. taxing comments, this could be the case here when looking at the age of the adults: the woman is 51 and the man is 73.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2018, 09:06 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 26 days ago)

35,748 posts, read 18,091,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYJoe View Post
We can’t solve everyone’s problems all over the world.
No, right. But the fact that this made news on the BBC (nothing gives British media more pleasure than witnessing American trashy behavior) is odd. They can find all the stories they want in Mumbai if they wanted to look at people living in total squalor.

I don't know why the wealthiest of the world can drive by Indian kids living worse than this and not bat an eye, but it becomes world headlines if it's an American family.

And honestly, no one here is trying to "solve this problem", and that's not what the story is about. This story is about open mouthed gawking at destitution.

Last edited by ClaraC; 03-04-2018 at 09:18 AM..

Old 03-04-2018, 10:13 AM

3,656 posts, read 3,796,503 times
I can't imagine getting myself or my children into a situation like this and we have been really, really poor in the past. Looking at the collection of stuff around the box house, I'm reminded of an old preacher in the Appalachian region's observation, 'Po' people have po' ways." Meaning some don't manage their bare resources well and squander a lot.

I wonder when we'll see reports from California's Salten Sea and the conditions there.

Old 03-04-2018, 12:03 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,499,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49erfan916 View Post
It's always California. What's wrong with my state?
Probably the year around good weather where people don't have to worry about freezing to death living outside.

Old 03-04-2018, 12:15 PM

4,994 posts, read 5,314,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branDcalf View Post
I can't imagine getting myself or my children into a situation like this and we have been really, really poor in the past. Looking at the collection of stuff around the box house, I'm reminded of an old preacher in the Appalachian region's observation, 'Po' people have po' ways." Meaning some don't manage their bare resources well and squander a lot.
While I don't necessarily disagree with you on your comment, based on what we have read so far, I think these parents probably made mistakes and/or made bad choices and still tried to do the best they could while accepting responsibility. They were later in life parents who apparently didn't have a lot of resources. From what we have read, they appear to be loving parents who have stuck together and tried to raise happy kids. They may of the mindset not to accept 'charity' as I know other people like that. They don't appear to be setting the kids up for a productive life, but then maybe they are teaching them basic life skills. Whatever happens now, I think the family will get food and housing. We don't know about dad's health, but maybe mom can get a job. The oldest is 14. He/she should be employable in about a year or so. That should help out.

Old 03-04-2018, 02:45 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,616,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
While I don't necessarily disagree with you on your comment, based on what we have read so far, I think these parents probably made mistakes and/or made bad choices and still tried to do the best they could while accepting responsibility. They were later in life parents who apparently didn't have a lot of resources. From what we have read, they appear to be loving parents who have stuck together and tried to raise happy kids. They may of the mindset not to accept 'charity' as I know other people like that. They don't appear to be setting the kids up for a productive life, but then maybe they are teaching them basic life skills. Whatever happens now, I think the family will get food and housing. We don't know about dad's health, but maybe mom can get a job. The oldest is 14. He/she should be employable in about a year or so. That should help out.
He will be in foster care. He won't be able to help out. Parents have been charged with felony child abuse.

Old 03-04-2018, 03:09 PM

4,994 posts, read 5,314,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
He will be in foster care. He won't be able to help out. Parents have been charged with felony child abuse.
I know that. Unless something more horrific comes out, I don't see the charges sticking.

Old 03-04-2018, 03:27 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,616,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
I know that. Unless something more horrific comes out, I don't see the charges sticking.
If the friend is right in what she says, I hope they don't. Sometimes SS will help families stay together by getting them help.

Old 03-05-2018, 08:05 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 26 days ago)

35,748 posts, read 18,091,770 times
I don't see these charges sticking either. And if what the friends are saying in this article, my guess is the kid's psych evals will come back with better than average adjustment, intelligence and functioning level.

We have this sort of crazy idea that lack of indoor plumbing and electricity is necessarily felony abuse. 100 years ago, lack of indoor plumbing and electricity was extremely common in rural homes in the US. It looks awful, but IMHO if what this article is saying is true, no crime has been committed here.

Drive around Terlingua, Texas and you will see junked out trailers in the middle of a sandy desert, covered in a makeshift tarp with a junked out truck parked next to it, and children's toys in the yard. No plumbing, no electricity.

Friends say Joshua Tree couple is extremely poor, not abusive

Last edited by ClaraC; 03-05-2018 at 09:07 AM..

Old 03-10-2018, 11:09 PM

1,687 posts, read 1,286,349 times
The charges didn't stick. So there will be no more jail related difficulties for them.

...but as most parents know CPS is frighteningly more powerful than any COP. So while the kids are technically in better housing they are all group home age. The kids are likely in foster care or a group home with people that don't give a crap about them except for the paycheck they draw from the state and, living with other really messed up kids who aren't much better than that fuc-ed up goblin kid who shot up that school in Florida...

It's messed up for those kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events