Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2018, 02:35 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,031,799 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Good grief. The bag could be manipulated so that it would fit under one or both of the seats in front of the passenger and her daughter without encroaching either on the passenger foot space "aisle" or the center aisle or the space of the third passenger, if there was one. It was a soft bag designed to be used on an airplane, not a hard crate.
Are you forgetting that there was a dog in the carrier? You cannot just "manipulate" the bag to somehow fit under the seat if it is too big. The dog needs room to be able to move around. There are specific sizes that these crates need to be so they fit under the seat in front of the passanger.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2018, 02:42 PM

17,347 posts, read 11,297,907 times
I haven't read everything here but IMO the owner is just as stupid and guilty of killing the dog as the flight attendant. Anyone who would let a flight attendant tell them to put a dog in an overhead bin and does so, is pretty dumb. Get off the plane if you have to, but try to remember your dog is not a piece of furniture.

Old 03-15-2018, 03:47 PM

50,828 posts, read 36,538,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Are you forgetting that there was a dog in the carrier? You cannot just "manipulate" the bag to somehow fit under the seat if it is too big. The dog needs room to be able to move around. There are specific sizes that these crates need to be so they fit under the seat in front of the passanger.
Yes, that's why she bought a TSA approved carrier. There is more room than you think under there. I used to cram a hiker's backpack full of stuff under there that was bigger than that carrier was, then I'd use it as a foot rest.

Why is everyone arguing when the airline has already admitted procedures weren't followed and the woman did nothing wrong? Don't you think they'd be the first to say if the bag was in the middle of the aisle and presenting a safety issue, or too large to fit under the seat?

Old 03-15-2018, 04:15 PM

9,317 posts, read 21,014,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Yes, that's why she bought a TSA approved carrier. There is more room than you think under there. I used to cram a hiker's backpack full of stuff under there that was bigger than that carrier was, then I'd use it as a foot rest.

Why is everyone arguing when the airline has already admitted procedures weren't followed and the woman did nothing wrong? Don't you think they'd be the first to say if the bag was in the middle of the aisle and presenting a safety issue, or too large to fit under the seat?
Just a FYI a "TSA" approved carrier, might not be the size requirement for a "United" sized Carrier.

TSA is about being able to view what is in the carrier. It can be bigger then the size of a United carrier.

United's is about if it will fit under the seat on all its planes.

Old 03-15-2018, 04:39 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,172,091 times
Quote:
United flight attendant who forced dog into overhead bin 'lying,' owner's daughter says | Fox News

" 'While we were flying, the dog started barking and barking and there was no flight attendants coming. We couldn't stand up because there was a lot of turbulence so we weren't allowed to,' Sophia Ceballos, speaking on behalf of her mother, Catalina Robledo, told ABC 13."

I suspect the FAs had to be seated during the turbulence, too.

The witness said, " 'The pet owner was very adamant that she did not want to put the pet carrier up above,' Gremminger said. 'She was saying verbally, "My dog is in here, no, this is my dog." The flight attendant, in response, really just continued to ask her to put it above because it was a hazard where it was, it was a safety emergency, someone could trip.' ”
I still don't understand how it was a safety hazard if the pet case was pushed all the way under the seat.

But, air lines are getting much stricter. The last time that I was on an airplane I had my purse in my lap and the flight attendant asked me to put it under the seat during take-off. It was a pretty small purse and it fit easily under the seat along with my back pack (my carry on). I do not fly very often but I don't recall being asked to put my purse under the seat on earlier flights.

I wonder if the woman had a diaper bag, purse and maybe something else in addition to the pet carrier and everything did not fit in front of her seat and her daughter's seat. Of course, in that case the diaper bag should have gone into the overhead bin.

Old 03-15-2018, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
I still don't understand how it was a safety hazard if the pet case was pushed all the way under the seat.
It didn't fit under the seat, that seems to be the initial problem with the FA.

Old 03-15-2018, 05:04 PM

3,671 posts, read 3,561,291 times
Quote:
...No, the plane was not in the air. It was still on the ground...
From the article linked at the beginning of this thread:

"...The Points Guy reports that during their flight, an attendant insisted that the woman put her dog, which was held in a TSA-approved pet carrier, in an overhead bin for the rest of the flight...."

Old 03-15-2018, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraDown View Post
From the article linked at the beginning of this thread:

"...The Points Guy reports that during their flight, an attendant insisted that the woman put her dog, which was held in a TSA-approved pet carrier, in an overhead bin for the rest of the flight...."
As has been pointed out numerous times in this thread, the information in that article is wrong. It happened before takeoff.

"I just flew into LGA and witnessed a United flight attendant instruct a passenger to put her dog bag in the overhead bin. It was clearly a dog and while the customer was adamant about leaving it under the seat, the attendant pushed her to do so," Gremminger wrote on Twitter.

"Myself and a fellow passenger felt like that was NOT a thing. I am not a flight attendant tho. Maybe they have air ventilation in there that I didn't know about. I tried googling rules about pets on board but didn't have ample time before [takeoff]."
https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-...ine-apologizes

Old 03-15-2018, 05:37 PM

37,120 posts, read 41,299,979 times
Quote:
She had an approved carrier, a bag, not a hard crate. They are designed - engineered - to conform to the space under the seat and allow the animal to move.

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con.../in_cabin.aspx

"The recommended maximum dimensions for soft-sided kennels are 18 inches long x 11 inches wide x 11 inches high (46 cm x 28 cm x 28 cm). Soft-sided pet carriers may exceed these dimensions slightly, as they are collapsible and able to conform to under-seat space without blocking the aisle."

It was the center aisle of the plane that the FA was objecting to, by the way, not the area at the feet of seated passengers.

Old 03-15-2018, 06:18 PM

Quote:
It was the center aisle of the plane that the FA was objecting to, by the way, not the area at the feet of seated passengers.
Bags cannot block any aisles on the plane, especially the center aisle. If the bag was sticking out into the center aisle, then it was way too big.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events